Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2019, 12:49 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

Can ritteri be burned with too much light?

Hi,
Can a ritteri be burned with too much light, if not acclimated? I know my acros can be very highly sensitive to light changes, and will die if put in a somewhat higbher lighting. This is partly due to my veyr low phosphates I think. That may or may not have anything to do with ritteri sensitivty to changes.

I ask because of the very few ok spots to have my ritteri end up are mostly very highest lighting. As in 4-8" below water level (depending on how the rocks get arranged to accomodate 'nem), which can be right below the convergence of two kessil light beams (a700 puck and a a600 "spot light"). I'll measure PAR there, but I believe can be 500-600. The nem is close to that now. I think 300-400, as it's off from a direct hit of light. But it shows no bad 'reaction' to this higher lighting. I know in nature they may get 1000+ I think. Though the nem hasnt seen levels like that since it was in the ocean I'm sure. So I don't want to shock/ kill it.

I'm going to guess it's fine just by it's appearance, and I'm guessing I'll be ok even if I have to place it at 500-600 par (?)

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2019, 05:08 AM   #2
hottuna
Registered Member

Doubt it...back in the 80's I saw one under a 1000 watt halide...it seemed happy .

Unread 10/10/2019, 07:20 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'm thinking you're right with my own situation ... ritteri moved itself right under the a700 puck 5" below surface, and not far from the beam of the a600. It could be 500-600 par here. I'll measure tomorrow. And it's still reaching up for more light. Odd at same time, becuase in lower light areas where it was it didnt reach up nearly as much. Maybe it's just for now that it's stretching as high as it can be.

Pic attached showing nem in relation to lighting... Yes again it's too close to the drain box. I hve the teeth blocked with secure ties, so it cant easily get sucked into the slots. I will simply need to replace this tank with one wiht a "ghost" drain box the drain box makes it so I need to always keep up with the position of the nem. I'm fine with that as long as it doesnt delcine in health, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RItter101019_1.jpg (89.6 KB, 47 views)
Unread 10/13/2019, 08:00 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

Overflow box wont cause problem. All it will do is increase the water level a bit. One of my Radion did not turn on, over the weekend in my office tank, so my Mag climb the wall. He is fine, no problem with the overflow.
Your tank looks OK, just boost the light up he will be fine. I have 2 Radion G3 Pro on my tank. He climb up to be right under the Radion G3 Pro, which is about 6 inches above the water, running at 100%.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnifica2019101301.jpg (104.6 KB, 118 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 09:54 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Overflow box wont cause problem. All it will do is increase the water level a bit. One of my Radion did not turn on, over the weekend in my office tank, so my Mag climb the wall. He is fine, no problem with the overflow.
Well, depending on the size of the anemone and the size of the overflow it can also end in a severe flooding. My new monster magnifica could easily completely block the overflow of its tank...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 03:45 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Of course we t depends n the size of the anemone and the overflow his won’t be a problem.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Mad Marine
Registered Member

Yes, they can get burned. One of my previous ritteri got burned when placed directly under LED.

Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2019, 10:31 AM   #8
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Marine View Post
Yes, they can get burned. One of my previous ritteri got burned when placed directly under LED.
Wow, that's interesting. I just assumed they'd move to a place that they find more suitable.

Unread 10/28/2019, 01:30 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I have my two magnificas straight below Kessil A360E LEDs that are at 100% intensity and somewhere between 80% to 100% in color (close to white) and so far I don't see any signs of them being burned.
The smaller African one from DD is actually stretching towards the light as if it can't get enough of it. The larger Maldives magnifica seems to be more bothered by the too small dish I have it on and the shear of the flow than the light.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 11/10/2019, 12:10 PM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Your tank looks OK, just boost the light up he will be fine. I have 2 Radion G3 Pro on my tank. He climb up to be right under the Radion G3 Pro, which is about 6 inches above the water, running at 100%.

My ritteri is now on the overflow box. I changed the flow a few days ago. It seemed the clowns in the nem never got a rest, even when the flow is set to lower at night, it was directed toward the ritteri, and the clowns were always keeping up with the flow, no rest. So I turned the flow some and it reduced the flow to the nem probably by half overall, still ok looking. The nem really seemed to like the heavier flow before, I just was concerned about the clowns.

Now I changed flow, the nem decided to move! ugh. I'm glad I saw your pic Orion. So I shouldnt worry about the tentacles getting pulled into the overflow slits? I'm guessing the nem will just pull them in if this starts to happen?

**future concern is when I change 20% of tank water.. or more in case of emergency, the nem will be left hanging. << is it ok if it ends up hanging during a brief large water change (which I dont forsee, but things can happen)?

TY!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri_111019_1.jpg (100.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ritteri110919_2.jpg (85.0 KB, 14 views)
Unread 11/10/2019, 03:38 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would get it off the overflow box and put it back where it was. The flow is actually good for the fish as well. Maybe program a total pattern with high flow, medium flow, and low or even no flow. Have the flow change about every 2 hours. That will give everyone what they want.

Unread 11/10/2019, 07:11 PM   #12
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi ThR,
TY for that.. though nem stopped moving higher. It seems to like where it's at now. I'll keep close eye on it. I really do not want to damage it by removing it. There's no way I can put soemthing higher than it is to have nem move on to since it's at highest point now.

Here's a new movie....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE48WfkvOWM
You dont think that's too much flow? It calms down by 1/2 at night. The controller I have are the ones that came with the Tunze 3. Basic. They can only go in alternate to each other. One goes in one speed setting while the other is on the other setting, then they alternate every few seconds. Then at night one is quiet and the other is on which ever setting was the lower of the two.

If the fish reall like flow all the time , then I wont worry about them.. I just tbhough they need to rest sometime!.

Last edited by CTaylor; 11/10/2019 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 11/15/2019, 11:08 PM   #13
CTaylor
Registered Member

It was stable on the overflow box in one spot for a few days. Then I did a 17% water change (one of my once a month water changes) and it have the top of it's foot out of water by about 1" out. It held on fine for the few mins until I filled tank back up. Coincidentally, nem moved up even higher, covering the inlets of the overflow. This may have happened b/c prior to today there was some shade over top of the overflow box due to the lid of box hanging over front edge. I moved the lid back so less shadow now, and the nem happened to move its foo almost out of the water, like trying to climb out. Now it's sliding to the left, I also put that bit of shading back. So my nem is def on the move.

***What can I do to safely peel nem off as I dont know where he will end up. I'd like to try to put it back on the rock I have for him (the smooth one) and try to put him/it back on the tower I had. And put the flow similar to how it was several days ago b/c nem was happy like that for a long time -- until i lowered flow to that area. I cant just put something for it to crawl on above where it's at now because that would be out of the water!. ugh. Maybe I just better let him crawl wherever even tough I really dont want it to go where it may end up.. It should be safe, but I want to be a little more in control of where it ends up. I'm sure someone has an idea ThR or Orion maybe

In any event, I'm celebrating his survival going on month 2

TY!