Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/14/2017, 08:31 AM   #51
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozadars View Post
World has gone through many mass extinctions and still managed to develop very diverse and complex natural ecosystems.
Agreed. I always think these 'save the planet' movements are misguided. The planet will be fine, it's we the people that are in trouble. Whether global warming exacerbated by profound human ignorance or something else, the plant will move on, just without us.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2017, 11:33 AM   #52
iced98lx

some light reading:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/science/a...e-11004117.php

Cheers.

180 Gallon In Wall
iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2017, 01:32 PM   #53
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Agreed. I always think these 'save the planet' movements are misguided. The planet will be fine, it's we the people that are in trouble. Whether global warming exacerbated by profound human ignorance or something else, the plant will move on, just without us.
If, by planet, you mean the physical rock we ride on, sure, it'll be just fine. But, all life on this planet, not just humans, are in big trouble.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2017, 07:27 PM   #54
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Something always survives; enough for mother nature to start anew. As a species, humans are so narrow minded that I'm not sure anything beyond 'save us' really resonates.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2017, 08:20 PM   #55
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Something always survives; enough for mother nature to start anew. As a species, humans are so narrow minded that I'm not sure anything beyond 'save us' really resonates.
There's a big difference between a planet with only cockroaches and what we've got now. I don't want to see how minimalistic we can get with regards to diversity while still maintaining human life. It'd be pretty bleak, methinks.

If thinking about the outrageous expanse of space and barren planets in the universe in comparison to our embarrassment of life doesn't damn near bring a tear to your eye and make you want to preserve it, you have a hollow soul.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX

Last edited by HippieSmell; 03/16/2017 at 08:25 PM.
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2017, 11:52 AM   #56
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
There's a big difference between a planet with only cockroaches and what we've got now. I don't want to see how minimalistic we can get with regards to diversity while still maintaining human life. It'd be pretty bleak, methinks.

If thinking about the outrageous expanse of space and barren planets in the universe in comparison to our embarrassment of life doesn't damn near bring a tear to your eye and make you want to preserve it, you have a hollow soul.
I agree. The whole world could be a Dickens-esque industrial wasteland, and we could use our technology and ingenuity to survive (and perhaps even thrive). We just have to recognize how valuable "life as we know it" is-- do we enjoy walks through wilderness areas where we stumble upon wildlife? Catching fish just for the fun of it? Hunting? Scuba diving?

It may require us to remove the fear of death and poverty (and, inversely, the promise of power and wealth) in order for us to start dealing with improving the quality of life through maintaining the natural world. I just hope it isn't too late.

HuskerBioProf is online now   Reply With Quote