Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2012, 09:57 AM   #1
bugs713
In-A-Gadda-Divita!

Question Deep Tank Setup/Maintaince??

Just got a 185g, 45" long, 25" wide and 38" tall; it stands just over me at 6' 4".
Need advice on how you big tank guys maintain your tall tanks - aquascaping, corals, fish, cleaning etc. I have a robot arm but will need a better one.

Thanks!
[IMG]http://i41.*******.com/fxs7ps.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by bugs713; 02/07/2012 at 10:10 AM.
bugs713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Best to build a platform you can stand on.

Vinny Kreyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:19 PM   #3
octoreef
Registered Member

hi bugs713, why you don't turn the tank and make a shallow reef?
I don't konw if you like shallow tank... this is only a proposal, here on rc you can find a lot of technical support for acrilic's diy.
Shallow tanks are more easy to maintenace and lower in cost due to possibility of use of t5, for example.

Current Tank Info: deep acrylic syndrome
octoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:32 PM   #4
dave.m
Registered Member

You will want to get two graspers (unless you have more than one pair of hands). Also, a very long-handled algae scraper can be an effective tool for pushing things about the bottom without needing a face mask and snorkel. And something that sounds really nuts but that I wish I had is a digital movie camera and a small TV or monitor so you can get a better view remotely of what you are doing (wrecking) way down there.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 12:40 PM   #5
T Diddy
Slayer of Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
You will want to get two graspers (unless you have more than one pair of hands). Also, a very long-handled algae scraper can be an effective tool for pushing things about the bottom without needing a face mask and snorkel. And something that sounds really nuts but that I wish I had is a digital movie camera and a small TV or monitor so you can get a better view remotely of what you are doing (wrecking) way down there.

Dave.M
+1 on the remote monitor...I can only access my tank from the back/top

Current Tank Info: 140 Gallon DSA in-wall, foam/rock wall, DIY LED, 40g sump, Precision Marine Skimmer, 100 gallon refugium, NO3, PO4,NH3/4 undetectable, Mg, Ca, KH...eeehhhhhh?
T Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 09:10 PM   #6
dzfish17
Registered Member

My tank is 46" tall. The platform is a good idea... mine goes all the way around the back of the tank for easy access. A long handled kent scraper and coralife tongs are a must.

Unread 02/07/2012, 10:21 PM   #7
deacon hemp
Registered Member

12" sand bed and garden eels and or seagrasses.

Current Tank Info: starfire solana,AI sol,softie garden
deacon hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 07:55 PM   #8
epicentyr
Registered Member

Fish only. Dim LED lights. Or a Discus tank. A reef is going to fight you every day. When $h1T falls over you will eventually be so fed up with it you will let it either die or survive on its own. I had a 32 tall and hated every minute i had to dip my face in the water to fix the stupid coral that wouldn't stick!!

PS nice C3. '78? I have a '71 conv.

epicentyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 08:55 PM   #9
chefzif
Registered Member

Wow! super deep! You will want to stay on top of this tank! hope you have the platform built it will sure help. Post pics when up and running!

205g AGE Starfire, ATI T5 Hybrid Lighting, Octopus Extreme 3000 Skimmer, 2-Tunze 6105, 7096 Tunze Controller, 6215 Tunze Wave Maker, Tunze Osmolator, Apex Controller, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor, 285g Sys
chefzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 09:22 PM   #10
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicentyr View Post
Fish only. Dim LED lights. Or a Discus tank. A reef is going to fight you every day. When $h1T falls over you will eventually be so fed up with it you will let it either die or survive on its own. I had a 32 tall and hated every minute i had to dip my face in the water to fix the stupid coral that wouldn't stick!!
Dont just push him down like that. If he wants to make a reef, let him make a reef. Its completely do-able. If he is keen on keeping SPS at the bottom of his tank he could invest in canon LEDs like Orpheks, and he will EASILY be able to grow SPS at the bottom of this tank.

Maintenance is another issue, but it's do-able, using mirrors and extendable tongs.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 09:45 PM   #11
bugs713
In-A-Gadda-Divita!

Thanks FishTeen!
It will be a reef and will probably go light on the LR but tall columns, maybe two - I want some good open swim areas. Will also be doing DIY LED's. I still have a lot of research and questions before I get going; I had everything set and ready for my 110 build, but had a bad tank, so kinda starting over. I will start a build thread and call it "2 Tall Build" when I get going. ha
Thanks for the advice and ideas.

epicentyr: My C3 is an 82, I do love those 70-71 verts! Kinda of funny, once I finished the restoration of the 82, I had to find something to spend all my money and time on... and hear I am!
Save The Wave

Last edited by bugs713; 02/08/2012 at 09:54 PM.
bugs713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 10:15 PM   #12
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

I have a 30" deep tank and I love it. I rely on many animals for routine algea maintenance and as much as they can help me with. Good flow to keep detritus under control and plenty of sand sifting creatures. As for the eventual need to remove algea from the glass or acrylic, I rely on my Magnavore cleaner. They work fabulous.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 02:52 PM   #13
krazyk148
Registered Member

I plan on using a rc submarine with velcro to clean things at the bottom of mine Be creative with it!

krazyk148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 11:37 AM   #14
skanderson
Registered Member

my reef is 36 inches deep.long tongs and other grasping equipment is essential. I would also predrill all your live rock for easier placement of frags. for what its worth my next tank will be either 45 or 48 inches deep and a lot wider than the 36 inches that my current tank is.

skanderson is offline   Reply With Quote