Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:48 AM   #1
_ld99
Registered Member

Elegance coral issues

About 2 weeks ago I bought an Australian elegance(atleast that's what it was sold as). The first week it was doing awesome until I realized aiptasia on the Skeleton and it seems like the coral wasn't opening as much and was sliming a bit after I noticed them. I took the coral out, scrubbed where the aiptasia was with a hot paper towel (I didn't touch the flesh of the coral). I put it back in and it seems like I did some damage to the aiptasia. There was about 8 on the backside and now I only see 1 and it's been a day. They're tiny white ones. For the past week, the coral has had slime all over the tentacles in the morning then slowly opens and the slime goes away. I also wave my hand near it to break the slime loose if theres a lot of it. But every morning it is sliming again.. The attatchment below shows what I am talking about. My parameters have been stable at
Calcium: 425
Dkh:7.8
Mg: a little low at around 1250
Ph: 8.2-3 during the day 8.0-8.1 at night.
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates havent budged from 5 ppm since the tank cycled.
The coral is in a low to moderate flow area in the sand bed. I don't think I have anything that would irritate it. I have a porcelain crab but from what I understand they're harmless. I have a pair of oscellaris but I have never seen them even get close to the coral.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the ph drop at night stresses it hence why it slimes at night. I don't think it's the aiptasia causing it anymore because I feel like an elegance should be able to kill 1 aiptasia but maybe I'm wrong. It sucks because this thing was beautiful and healthy a week ago and ate like a champ. Id put mysis on it and it would be closed within 15 seconds chomping it down. I have some mushrooms, frogspawn, pipe organ coral, and candy cane that are all thriving. Well not the candy cane so much but I received it in bad shape anyway.
I just wanted to get some advice from you experts on what you think i should do.
https://plus.google.com/107785918218...ts/H29f53pzEqK

_ld99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 11:35 AM   #2
_ld99
Registered Member

Here's a picture of it yesterday with the aiptasia. It may also be hydroids, not too sure.
https://plus.google.com/107785918218...ts/CektQHdFrFZ

Unread 03/22/2017, 01:36 PM   #3
rajilnaja
Registered Member

looks like hyrdoids to me.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 07:21 PM   #4
_ld99
Registered Member

Well thanks anyways guys.... it's starting to look better. Hopefully it makes it.

Tags
elegance coral, lps, stressed lps