Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Cluanar
Registered Member

Brisstle worms?

I noticed I haven't seen my consch for a week but he does that soemtimes. Then I was looking around the side of the tank and see this. I had no idea so many worms had invaded my tank. Did they attack and kill the conch or cleaning up a dead one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg conch.jpg (31.4 KB, 53 views)
Cluanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

They didn't kill it they only eat what dies or leftover food in the tank, yes there are always many more then meets the eye in the tank. Perfectly safe reef inhabitants just butt ugly is all.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 10:00 PM   #3
wrott
Registered Member

Ditto, bristleworms are the best detrivores you can have.
Conch probably starved, worms clean it up.
There population will increase and decrease with food source.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 12:36 PM   #4
ccsun0201
Registered Member

can there a point where there's too many bristle worms? i feel like when i feed its an invasion of bristle worms on the sand bed.

ccsun0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 01:59 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsun0201 View Post
can there a point where there's too many bristle worms? i feel like when i feed its an invasion of bristle worms on the sand bed.
See the last sentence of post #3

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 02:02 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsun0201 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
See the last sentence of post #3

^^^This^^^

An overabundance of bristle worms would be a good indicator that you are feeding too much.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 02:50 PM   #7
ccsun0201
Registered Member

thanks guys, i'll taper down the feeding but it feels like the fish are always eating when i do feed. i'll taper and monitor the bristle worm invasion.

ccsun0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 03:04 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Ignore the bristle worms. They are harmless and actually an important part of your CUC. Just feed your fish what is appropriate and forget about the worms. They will take care of themselves. It is not an invasion, every tank has them. And most of us have gotten a sting when moving rock around. That is their only bad side.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote