Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2020, 07:37 PM   #1
colgan10
Registered Member

LifeRock and Microbacter StartXML question

I’m just curious and might be a simple answer but why are you not supposed to use this product with a dry seeded rock like life rock? What is the potential harm? Currently setting up a reefer xl300 barebottom for SPS and purchased the life rock. Thanks in advance.

colgan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 08:25 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know what their line of thinking is, but I doubt that it makes much difference. I am not sure what "dry seeded live rock" is. I'll try some research, but I wouldn't worry about this very much.

Unread 02/25/2020, 10:01 PM   #3
colgan10
Registered Member

Most of what I have read is people said they didn’t add anything but ammonia to start cycle. I bought that and the Microbacter but on the directions it specially stated to not use it with that kind of rock which made no sense to me. I wouldn’t think the different strains would hurt anything if not make the cycle more diverse

Unread 02/26/2020, 12:08 AM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I can't see how the microbe supplements would hurt, either.

Unread 02/26/2020, 05:38 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

From their site..
Quote:
Do not use live sand and particularly DO NOT USE dry seeded artificial live rock until cycling is complete. There are no dry bacteria species that will be compatible with this nitrifying bacteria product or that are useful to cycle an aquarium at all! To use a dry bacteria will only lengthen the time it takes to cycle by many weeks and increase your work many times! Wet cycled live rock or even previously cycled wet man made rock will work fine (although this may be a bad idea due to the possibility of introducing parasites or pathogens from another aquarium). Dry sand is fine to use, but not bagged, so called "live sand" because the manufacturer will usually introduce other bacteria species to replace the natural bacteria that will die and these will be counterproductive to your cycle. Also, several so called "probiotic" salts are available. Again, there are no species of bacteria that are conducive to cycling that are available in a dry form. Therefore, do not use any salt that is labelled as probiotic or says it contains dry bacteria.
Seems to just be that they are simply insinuating that the "dry" bacterial additives don't work so buy Brightwell XML (insert remainder of marketing blah blah here). Not that there would really be a negative reaction to using that along with the brightwell product.

Unread 02/26/2020, 09:13 AM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

Again, there are no species of bacteria that are conducive to cycling that are available in a dry form.
So does Brightwell consider what CaribSea is spraying on Liferock a wet bacteria? Weird for a dry rock product. I'm confused......as always.
Bacteria in dry form can live a long long time, if it is an endospore.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening

Last edited by lapin; 02/26/2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: bad use of "they"
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2020, 10:49 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Again, there are no species of bacteria that are conducive to cycling that are available in a dry form.
So do they consider what they are spraying on their rock a wet bacteria? Weird for a dry rock product. I'm confused......as always.
Who's "they" in your question?
Brightwell doesn't sell impregnated rock AFAIK..

Their statement is saying that no "dry bacterial treatment" is good for cycling so buy the Brightwell product..

Unread 02/26/2020, 05:10 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Who's "they" in your question?
Brightwell doesn't sell impregnated rock AFAIK..

Their statement is saying that no "dry bacterial treatment" is good for cycling so buy the Brightwell product..

Post has been corrected for the bad use of they

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2020, 06:22 PM   #9
colgan10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
So does Brightwell consider what CaribSea is spraying on Liferock a wet bacteria? Weird for a dry rock product. I'm confused......as always.
I completely agree!