Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2009, 06:09 PM   #26
sanababit
Registered Member

feed them bleach, they will go for it like crazy, it will also help with color.....

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2009, 06:30 PM   #27
luther1200
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'm so sorry to see that. It looks like a pigmentation issue that is common with fake livestock, often sold as "Limited Edition." A few years ago, dyed anemones were the rage. It looks like you were ripped off. That one's lineage is definitely not antartic in origin.

Thanks, but it wasn't sold to me as an antarctic coral. The LFS didn't really know what it was it was just a white coral. I looked it up after and my best guess was Acropora Suharsonoi. It wasn't sold as a LE coral or anything like that. They thought it was a deep water coral. And it cost just as much as any other coral. But thank you.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2009, 07:20 PM   #28
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

With Gnomes you get what you pay for.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 08:38 PM   #29
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Wow, so much good advice! Thanks. I've been floating dry ice in the tank, but it makes a lot of funky smelling fog. I think my cat got red bugs from it.

What a great idea. So great in fact that I'm now floating dry ice in both my 10 and 20g tanks.

Any idea on how long it will take for my cats to appropriately colonize with redbugs?

Anyone know if a clown goby will pick at a cat's hair like they do sps?

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 09:27 PM   #30
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

A snowflake eel will eat the artic red bugs and flatworms too.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 10:39 PM   #31
melev
Moved On

Snowflake eel.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 11:12 PM   #32
Lpsfanatic338
Registered Member

Wow those are some beautiful Antarctic specimens you got there. I hope they stay such a brilliant shade of white.

Lpsfanatic338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 05:35 AM   #33
redfishsc
Registered Member

You'll also want to overdrive your lights with Icecap ballasts, and use tube of a color temp of about 40-below.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
Unread 04/12/2009, 11:48 AM   #34
Alaska_Phil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redfishsc
You'll also want to overdrive your lights with Icecap ballasts, and use tube of a color temp of about 40-below.
Just remember to use an annual photo period instead of a daily one. Arctic and antarctic corals need 24 hours of intense white light in the summer and only a couple hours of dim blue light in the winter.

For my arctic corals I use just my actinics for about an hour a day in December and run 1,000 watts of 10,000k for 24 hours in June. It's great that I can collect my own corals when I visit Nome.

Phil

P.S. There really are arctic corals and anenomes, they're soft corals similar to the Hawaiian black corals and are non-photosynthetic. The University of Alaska Museum of the North has a display on them. And the Seward Sea Life Center has several tanks with live specimens.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal mixed reef, 65 gal freshwater planted.
Alaska_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 02:18 PM   #35
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Just remember to use an annual photo period instead of a daily one. Arctic and antarctic corals need 24 hours of intense white light in the summer and only a couple hours of dim blue light in the winter.

For my arctic corals I use just my actinics for about an hour a day in December and run 1,000 watts of 10,000k for 24 hours in June. It's great that I can collect my own corals when I visit Nome.

Phil

P.S. There really are arctic corals and anenomes, they're soft corals similar to the Hawaiian black corals and are non-photosynthetic. The University of Alaska Museum of the North has a display on them. And the Seward Sea Life Center has several tanks with live specimens.

Hmmm. Good point on the photoperiod.

Do you suggest we use Aurora lights during the dark cycle, since we are told by all the ad-wizards that corals need some light at night to simulate "natural" photoperiods...??

Unread 04/12/2009, 02:50 PM   #36
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

If rearing arctic creatures it is best to recreate the arctic environment to a tee. Not only do you need a really big chiller but those color changing neons will simulate an aurora and keep the inhabitants, and passing Eskimos, happy. At least that is what Lew tells me.

Can't belive this thread is still running this far past the 1st.

Tom

Unread 04/12/2009, 02:58 PM   #37
tufacody
Registered Member

I have a few just like that! I keep them in my fuge. They seem to like dim PC lighting the best!

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 03:14 PM   #38
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper

The old Aqualink forums used to have an entire forum dedicated to threads like this ("Baking Soda and Bryopsis" forum) that was, IMO, the coolest forum ever.

Last time I visited there was a couple years ago and the forum was gone.

Unread 04/12/2009, 03:26 PM   #39
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Great; you know how many threatening PM's the staff get whenever we do an April Fool edition of RK and play head games with the people logging into RC. Having a regular forum would mean we would need about 200 extra Mods.

Tom

Unread 04/12/2009, 04:01 PM   #40
judk
Registered Member

re: antarctic corals

I bought a small frag that looks very similar to those about two and a half months ago. It is growing. One side of it seems to be somewhat brown, but it is all alive and growing. I don't know what it is. When I bought it, I thought it was some sort of leather coral.

judk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 08:58 PM   #41
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
It got an honorable mention here:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/editor/index.php

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 10:09 PM   #42
slakker187
Registered Member

this is one of the best threads i have read so far!!!! ROTFLOL

slakker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 10:50 PM   #43
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Re: re: antarctic corals

Quote:
Originally posted by judk
I bought a small frag that looks very similar to those about two and a half months ago. It is growing. One side of it seems to be somewhat brown, but it is all alive and growing. I don't know what it is. When I bought it, I thought it was some sort of leather coral.
Probably a penquin skin coral(aka an emperor coral). There is no leather in the Antartic

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 04/13/2009, 05:24 AM   #44
redfishsc
Registered Member

Anyone ever tried to keep Superman monti near an Iceman monti? Do they fight?

Unread 04/13/2009, 05:42 AM   #45
mille239
Premium Member

Again, beautiful corals... I often thought of picking one up, but their growth rate is sooooooooooooooo slow. I had a similar one a while back, and in one year, you would swear it hadn't grown at all

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, though a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS reef in progress, 120 mixed reef, currently being completely rebuilt)
mille239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 08:26 AM   #46
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally posted by mille239
Again, beautiful corals... I often thought of picking one up, but their growth rate is sooooooooooooooo slow. I had a similar one a while back, and in one year, you would swear it hadn't grown at all
To encorage growth in these corals, overdosing calcium and bi carbonate is highly effective. Just keep dosing untill a snowstorm of precipiated calcium carbonate occurs. The spike in ph does not seem to effect them at all but the calcium carbonate particles settling on them will stick to them and encourage growtht. Obviously these corals shou;ld be dkept in a specialized biotype. They just need a little snow now and then.

Unread 04/13/2009, 08:59 AM   #47
chris4869
Registered Member

I think you guys got it all wrong. These corals can't tolerate any lighting at all. They thrive in absolute darkness and in frigid water. Geesh...

I keep mine in a Tupperware and in the coldest section of the frig.

chris4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 09:46 AM   #48
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

My little buddy Lew was over last night reading this thread. He told me to pass this on-
Quote:
By personal communication with Lew Wirelewski
I should point out to Polar Bear Keepers that the bears live in the arctic not auntarctic. As it gets a lot colder down there I suggests making sure the bears have lots of blankets if you have an auntarctic reef tank. I do know that polar bears do have lots of friends there as they really seem interested in penguins. Do keep the penguins in a securely covered tank, as all the ones I have had seem to fly off, never to be seen again, shortly after I introduce them to my bears.

Tom

Unread 04/13/2009, 10:22 AM   #49
redfishsc
Registered Member

He might want to keep the polar bears in his refugium for a while until the penguins establish their territory in the tank-- after that the polar bears should leave the penguins alone.

Unread 04/13/2009, 10:43 AM   #50
holmstar
Registered Member

Funny thread. ;-)

holmstar is offline   Reply With Quote