Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:46 AM   #426
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Cleaning Up a Bit...

Things are starting to fall back in place and something I need to focus more on as I do some of the final touches to everything is usability and organization. My goal tonight was to clean up the two shelves above the shop sink.

Top shelf is for testing and medication. Bottom shelf is for media, fragging supplies, dosing stuff, and misc things I'll be using daily.

Both

Top Shelf

The top shelf contains...
Salifert dKH, Ca, Mg, Ph, NO2, and NO3 test kits.
API Ammonia test kit.
Seachem Copper test kit.
Hanna 736ulr Phosphorus Checker /w (3) 25packs of reagents.
Hanna 761ulr Total Chlorine Checker /w (2) 25packs of reagents.
Spectrapure CO2 test Kit.
Jungle Buddies Ammonia test strips.
2x Refractometers w/ Calibration Solution.
Spare Floaty Thermometer.
Spare PH Probe w/ Calibration Reference Solutions.
Digital mg Scale.
Various extra syringes, measuring devices, and a pipette.

Formalin
PraziPro
Powdered Praziquantel
Chloroquine Phosphate
Methyelne Blue
Malachite green
Fluconazole
Ciprofloxacin
Maracyn Two
KanaPlex
MetroPlex
Focus
Cupramine
Prime

The bottom shelf contains...
Kalwasser
Phosguard
GFO
Lanthinum Chloride
Baking Soda
Vinegar
Potassium Nitrate
Ammonia
Some flake food
and a spare MP40wes wet side.

I'll be adding more stuff as I need it. A lot of my additives are in bulk 5gal buckets such as mag chloride, mag sulfate, calcium chloride, carbon, ARM CaRx Media, and boxes of salt. This stuff is mostly kept across the hall in the mechanical room.

One goal for this weekend is to get the additional circuits wired to the breaker panel. The original 15amp circuit for this room tripped tonight. I knew I was getting close to maxing the circuit out but thought I was still in the safe zone. That breaker was pretty hot. I offloaded about 500watts to another circuit in the meantime.

I designed the room such that the display, the frag tanks,and the QT/BTA tank systems would have independent 20a circuits as well access to the original 15a circuit for redundancy. I have been kicking the can down the road on this for too long. Thankfully it's going to snow on Saturday so that should make perfect weather for tampering with the breaker box...

The other goal is to do a 400gal water change on the display and get carbon/gfo started to pull the remaining Chloroquine Phosphate out of the display. I'm hoping by mid next week the water quality will be such that the Triggers and Queen can get out of jail. I adjusted the skimmer back up to skimming wet and am getting about 3 gallons a day of gross.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 02/09/2018 at 01:56 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:18 AM   #427
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Your supplies are running low.

Everything is looking great!

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 01:18 AM   #428
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Your supplies are running low.

Everything is looking great!
Yeah, I need to get some more "stuff".

Thanks!

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:35 AM   #429
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Did a 400gal water change today and brought my carbon reactor back online. I added about 250ml of phosguard to the reactor as well. I'll check it out in the morning and refresh it if neccesary. After the water change phosphate was down to 1ppm from 3.6.

I'm going to skim wet,run GFO, and keep the Carbon fresh for the next few days. Will be interesting to see how it levels out.

Unread 02/17/2018, 01:14 AM   #430
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The two Crosshatch Triggerfish and Queen Angel are back in the display .

Picked up 8 boxes of salt this week, cleaned out the QT they were in (it needed it), and purchased a few new fish to add to QT.

Things are going well but have a bunch of phosphate left over to deal with. Doing some cleaning this weekend and organizing. Going to try and bring my LaCl reactor online, build a few shelves, and do a few water changes.

Fiancee is out of town so... I'm finally able to wash my filter socks

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:14 PM   #431
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Bump... Things are still progressing. The wedding is fast approaching so time is at a standstill but I am still making moves when I can.

Decided the all in one QT tanks are a pain in the butt to clean so I purchased two new 75gal tanks to replace them after this batch of fish make it to the display. Frag tank is plumbed. Phosphates are at a reasonable level. Good update with pics coming soon

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:20 PM   #432
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Bump... Things are still progressing. The wedding is fast approaching so time is at a standstill but I am still making moves when I can.

Decided the all in one QT tanks are a pain in the butt to clean so I purchased two new 75gal tanks to replace them after this batch of fish make it to the display. Frag tank is plumbed. Phosphates are at a reasonable level. Good update with pics coming soon
Soon was two days ago

Where are the pictures?!

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:28 PM   #433
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Too much to do, too little time. My guess is sometime next week. I have some hard schedules at work that I must complete on time. No time to sleep...

Unread 05/11/2018, 01:27 AM   #434
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Testing the live stream.

It will be intermittent as I improve my encoding capabilities.

Camera is a Axis P1365.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 05/11/2018 at 01:35 AM.
Unread 05/11/2018, 08:44 AM   #435
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Glad to see this progressing Mark!

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube
whyamisofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 09:06 AM   #436
halmus
Registered Member

I curious to see how that camera works out for you. Did you have to write any code to make it “streamable” to YouTube? Any security concerns exposing your local network? I’m not an IT guy, but I’m facing some of those issues myself trying to stream a local server on them “webs”. I can get the job done but I’m unsure whether I’ll have some creep watching me do water changes in my undies because I thought the camera was disabled.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 09:49 AM   #437
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamisofly View Post
Glad to see this progressing Mark!
Thanks! I've been super busy but have been making progress. Thread really needs a good update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I curious to see how that camera works out for you. Did you have to write any code to make it “streamable” to YouTube? Any security concerns exposing your local network? I’m not an IT guy, but I’m facing some of those issues myself trying to stream a local server on them “webs”. I can get the job done but I’m unsure whether I’ll have some creep watching me do water changes in my undies because I thought the camera was disabled.
Camera is great, really clear jitter free picture. Most of the Axis cameras have a really good auto white balance. This one has an auto iris as well.

I've upgraded my network hardware to fully managed Ubiquiti hardware. It gives me a lot of control over the stream. I won't be cutting the stream off when I do water changes in my underwear, I'll just switch to a pay by the minute model

Supposedly there is software I can load on this camera that will let it stream direct to youtube, it does output in the format they want without any fuss, it's just an issue of how to get them the feed. Right now I was trying to use an 8 year old budget laptop to do the task and it didn't go well. I'll play around with it this weekend but may end up buying that software...

Here is a screenshot of a stream I tried last night. Water is cloudy due to prazipro in the water and this is with only about 80w of blue+ t5. Image was also compressed. On my side it looks much better.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 05/11/2018 at 10:07 AM.
Unread 05/11/2018, 11:48 PM   #438
tkeracer619
Registered Member

OK, live stream up and running. Much better!

I edited the first post to include the link to the live stream so that it can be easily found.

Unread 05/13/2018, 09:57 AM   #439
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Quote:
OK, live stream up and running. Much better!

I edited the first post to include the link to the live stream so that it can be easily found.
Says it's offline

Unread 05/13/2018, 01:25 PM   #440
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Says it's offline
It's active from 10:30am to 1:00am MST.

Unread 05/24/2018, 12:41 AM   #441
tkeracer619
Registered Member

At Last. The Water is Safe!

After years of treating tap water as the plague, I'm done with it. The wifey and I decided enough was enough. Our municipal supply is loaded with high PH Chloramines. Toxic to fish and while I normally trust governing bodies to do right I simply do not understand how this stuff is healthy for us to use. It always gave me a rash, irritated my wife's skin, and killed fish without extra measures.

We ordered a whole house back washing carbon filter and 48,000 grain water softener. The system contains 2.5 cubic ft of Calgon Centaur catalytic carbon. It has a digital readout and can monitor gallons used to get better timing for water softener recharging. It has made a huge difference this week overall in our personal lives and now that I am making my first batch of RODI I love the numbers I am getting.

Chlorine and Ammonia are no longer measurable straight out of the tap! My DI is going to love this

Unread 05/24/2018, 02:04 PM   #442
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
After years of treating tap water as the plague, I'm done with it. The wifey and I decided enough was enough. Our municipal supply is loaded with high PH Chloramines. Toxic to fish and while I normally trust governing bodies to do right I simply do not understand how this stuff is healthy for us to use. It always gave me a rash, irritated my wife's skin, and killed fish without extra measures.

We ordered a whole house back washing carbon filter and 48,000 grain water softener. The system contains 2.5 cubic ft of Calgon Centaur catalytic carbon. It has a digital readout and can monitor gallons used to get better timing for water softener recharging. It has made a huge difference this week overall in our personal lives and now that I am making my first batch of RODI I love the numbers I am getting.

Chlorine and Ammonia are no longer measurable straight out of the tap! My DI is going to love this

Wow very cool

What are the tds readings from tap

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 05:58 PM   #443
whyamisofly
Registered Member

I'm using a different brand, but I had one in my last house in Thornton as the water was BAD! 500+PPM

Our new house has great water, but to future-proof ourselves, we installed another unit - they're amazing!

Unread 05/27/2018, 10:27 PM   #444
Pife
Registered Member

Great build and attention to detail. I love the love feed.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 04:20 PM   #445
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Wow very cool

What are the tds readings from tap
Thanks!

TDS from tap is about 140, softener doesn't change this since it is just exchanging minerals. I use dual spectrapure 99% membranes in series which give me 0-1TDS post RO.

Quote:
I'm using a different brand, but I had one in my last house in Thornton as the water was BAD! 500+PPM

Our new house has great water, but to future-proof ourselves, we installed another unit - they're amazing!
Yea, Westminster had good water from a TDS standpoint but terrible in terms of chloramines at a high ph. This system makes such a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Great build and attention to detail. I love the love feed.
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for watching the stream . I'm really happy with the camera setup, so far it has been flawless. I just wish our internet had a higher upload and total bandwidth allowance. I'm currently having to throttle at 30fps instead of 60 and do some encoding tricks due to that.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 06/10/2018 at 04:25 PM.
Unread 07/15/2018, 02:44 PM   #446
IUfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Testing the live stream.

It will be intermittent as I improve my encoding capabilities.

Camera is a Axis P1365.

How is your rock sooooooo purple! Love the aqua scape!

What lights are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 10:59 PM   #447
Kmack0415
Registered Member

Wow, epic move for an epic tank! I need to stop looking at big tank threads before I do something stupid lol

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 10:07 PM   #448
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
How is your rock sooooooo purple! Love the aqua scape!

What lights are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'm running kalkwasser and it probably helps that the rocks are years old.

Right now just two blue+ t5 and two radium 250w halides. Eventually I'll double the halides and go to 8 t5 bulbs.

Unread 07/30/2018, 10:08 PM   #449
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmack0415 View Post
Wow, epic move for an epic tank! I need to stop looking at big tank threads before I do something stupid lol
Thanks! Go for it, it's a lot of fun

Unread 08/20/2018, 10:14 PM   #450
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If I was a kent scraper... where would I hide?