Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2018, 04:44 PM   #1
mynorrodas
Registered Member

How often do you feed your fathead dendros?

Hello! I have one polyp in my tank of a fathead dendro but he´s not doing well It isnot opening during the day and don´t extend his tentaclesto eat, but if i put pellets directly in his mouth he eats well.. Do you think he´s starving? A friend gave it to me with a little start of receding tissue. The first days it was completely opened in my tank but now he doesnt open anymore.

mynorrodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 04:49 PM   #2
mynorrodas
Registered Member

This is how he loos now... Any thoughts of how to bring him back ?

Unread 06/04/2018, 06:25 PM   #3
noy
Registered Member

sorry friend - think that coral is done. All the tissue has receded (from pic). They don't leave their mouth open like that.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

How often do you feed your fathead dendros?

You can try feeding but if it deteriorated that quick in your tank with feedings, then you prolly have water issues.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 09:15 PM   #5
mynorrodas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
sorry friend - think that coral is done. All the tissue has receded (from pic). They don't leave their mouth open like that.
I think ir was the picture this is how he looks open

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180604_211027.jpg (35.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20180604_211036.jpg (48.1 KB, 31 views)
Unread 06/04/2018, 09:18 PM   #6
mynorrodas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
You can try feeding but if it deteriorated that quick in your tank with feedings, then you prolly have water issues.
Do you think daily feeding Would help? My water is fine a friend gave me this coral dying and im trying to recover him. Thanks

Unread 06/05/2018, 11:43 AM   #7
teddscau
Registered Member

I have a colony of dendros (they came with my 90g), and I love them. The guy I got them from, he'd got them off this guy who was starving them. Poor little dendros, their tissue is receded and one of the polyps, appears to have been quite large given the size of the skeleton at that part, died from starvation.

Anyways, I find my dendros really easy to care for. I'd set the little guy on a hard surface (live rock, frag rack, etc.) with low–moderate lighting, and moderate flow. I'd recommend feeding him a SMALL amount everyday. I'd recommend a mix of chopped silversides, frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp, mysis shrimp (either whole Hikari or chopped up mysis from a better brand), chopped bivalve, clam eggs, etc.

Anyways, when you see him open, suck up some of the meaty blend with your target stick, then suck up some tank water so the portion's the same temperature as the tank (the polyps hate cold food being squirted at them), then gently release some of the food onto his polyp. Don't feed him too much or too large of pieces, as dendros can die from gut rot. As each day passes, he should start coming out more often and his polyp should become more robust, and after a couple of weeks, his tissue should start slowly regrowing. My guys' skeleton was devoid of tissue when I brought them home, but now their tissue is slowly starting to cover their skeleton again.

To encourage shy polyps to come out, I gently blow water onto them with my target feeder.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 12:23 PM   #8
willietang021
Registered Member

I feed all my dendro, target feeding every single head once a week with chop up raw shrimp meat. Even the baby heads. They grow fine and open during the day. If you want rapid growth feed them once about 4-5 days. But you have to remember it is very often that they over eat. If you over feed them and the older food that was still inside starts to rot, they will die within. BUT REMEMBER! Never throw away their skeletons because 90% of the time dendro babies will come back on the bones.

willietang021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Epmar
Registered Member

I feed mine every other day

Epmar is offline   Reply With Quote