Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 03:18 PM   #1
sidd129
Registered Member

power heads and heaters that work

As I sit here going thru my pile of powerheads and heaters that don't work. I wonder, what is out there that does work. Because I know what products don't. What power heads and heaters do you have that have stood the test of time. I do have a Seio that just keeps goin. I tried the Jebao rw-15p and they did not last. I also picked up a couple of used mp-10's, one works still but the other I don't know what is wrong with it. I have a couple Maxijets that no longer work either.

So what brands of powerheads and heaters work for you for the long haul.

sidd129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 04:27 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Tunze power heads have never failed me. I have some in my tank that are 10 years old and still going strong. Can’t say much about heaters because it’s been well over a decade since I used one.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 04:29 PM   #3
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Tunze and Finnex titanium heaters. Anything in saltwater with eventually fail but Tunze has proven the best for me. Heaters are going to fail more often but these have proven the longest lasting for me.

Unread 09/18/2018, 12:40 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Define long term.... 2 years, 3 years, longer?

I've had a pair of Vortech MP10's for the entire time I've been back in the hobby, so 4 years now with 0 issue. Using the same finnex titanium heater also.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 10:36 PM   #5
kurt_n
Registered Member

Tunze powerheads, hands down. Give them a vinegar bath every 4-6 months and they just keep on hummin'.

I've had luck with Jager heaters, but I'm running them on a controller so that probably helps a bunch. I've had an Aqueon Pro heater in my salt water storage container forever (well, not really... but I lost track) with no issues - and it runs a *lot*.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Gorgok
Registered Member

One of my pp-8s died on me a bit back (probably only about 2 years old) so i dragged out my old Tunze 6025s from a previous tank as a stopgap before replacing it. They had been taken out of service and just let dry as is. A little vinegar bath and toothbrush action and they are running just fine.

I do plan to replace the pp-8 with another one (though now im not in a hurry), but leave the 6025s in as well. Everything seemed to like the added flow anyway.

The 6025s have been in all sorts of shape, coated in thick algae, coralline, etc... never had any issues with them. Even now they probably would have started just fine if i just plugged them in, but i didn't want the old gunk in the tank...

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote