Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:26 AM   #1
nursedude
Registered Member

Turbelle Nanostream 6040 vs. VorTech MP10wQD

Hello all,
Looking for advice on powerhead selection for a soon to be setup 66g. cube (SC Aquarium), any pros and cons between these two pumps. Feeling slightly overwhelmed. Plan on this being a mixed reef. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: SCAquarium 66 gallon rimless
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Opus123
Registered Member

Personally I would go with the Tunze. You could get 2 of them for what the Vortech will cost. I run them on my 75gal tank and love them.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 06:49 PM   #3
nursedude
Registered Member

Thanks! Price was a definite consideration.

Unread 12/19/2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Focal
Registered Member

I was a Vortech user until I tried a Tunze pump. Needless to say, 4 of my Vortechs have failed outside of warranty period and the two Tunzes are still going strong. I would recommend the Tunze everytime because of my experiences with Vortechs.

Focal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 10:50 PM   #5
minus9
Registered Member

I have two 6040's in my 22g and they will be making the trip to my 90g when i upgrade. I control them via my apex and I'm dialing them back on the master output to 10 o'clock, so there's plenty of power to be had from them. Plus, you can hide them behind rock work and use the flow diverter to push the flow upwards. Something you can't do with vortech's.
Just my two pennies.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 05:19 PM   #6
nursedude
Registered Member

Thanks all, Tunze it is. When I started researching I thought for sure I would go with the Maxspect Gyre, but the reliability wasn't there, it now seems the same with the Ecotech. I just don't understand how the price correlates to the longevity of these products. I am completely basing this on reviews and word of mouth, but I won't gamble for those prices.

Unread 12/21/2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Opus123
Registered Member

I haven't had the reliability issue with my mp10, though I only have 1 of them. I have the original mp10 so it is what 5 years old? Never an issue and I've only cleaned it a couple of times. I'm just a tunze fan because I've been using them before Ecotech was even around and never had an issue with a pump.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 06:07 PM   #8
reefwiser
Registered Member

Both are good pumps I have both of them. As far as use I found the Ecotech pumps way easier to adjust flow than the 6040 the controller for the Tunze is not very user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 10:22 PM   #9
nursedude
Registered Member

First thanks all for replying. For so long I was sold on the Eco tech for a couple reasons the clean look, no cord in the tank and the simplicity of setup which some of you have mentioned. The Tunze have a dedicated following, and I appreciated the cost reduction with reliability. A part of me still wants to get the Eco tech...I guess my wallet may decide.

Unread 12/23/2016, 10:30 PM   #10
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

I've probably had half a dozen MP10s over the years. Not one ever had an issue that was terrible IMO. A wet side got noisy and Ecotech replaced it free of charge outside of warranty for me.

I've also had three different Tunze pumps. I think the 6015 and 6025? They ran perfect for the couple years I had them.

My new tank will probably have both on it. I've got an MP10 and 2 Tunze 6045 ready to go

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 09:09 AM   #11
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I would vote for the Tunzes. I have 3 MP10's and about 4-5 various tunze nanostreams. The MP10's are really nice and have some slick features, but they are a lot work. Mine have all been loud at various times and I can't run them above 50% without them being really loud. I've worked with Ecotech about one of these pumps but it just took months to finally get a new westside. Overall, I'm just not sure it's worth it. I have enough other things going on in life that I just don't need these pumps to be a part time job.

The Tunze are just absolutely silent and work right out of the box. I have some of these that are over ten years old now and they still work perfectly. They are just fantastic. I just recently got the controllable 6095's. They are beautiful but have very minimal controllability and they are too powerful for my 75g tank. If I could do it again, I would get the 6055s. Tunze has been exceptionally good to me too with customer support over the years, so that's not an issue.

Hope that helps.
FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 06:46 PM   #12
nursedude
Registered Member

Well, I dropped a brick on a Kessil AP700, so Tunze it is. My budget decided for me. It is great to know I won't be disappointed with the Tunze based upon everyones responses. I do appreciate the input.

Unread 01/04/2017, 08:52 PM   #13
McFly09
Registered Member

I have two 6040 linked with a y-splitter cord and the tunze moonlight controller. Set up as alternating current and I'm very happy with them. If you don't need a really bright moonlight its pretty slick and turns off or turns down the pumps depending on how you have them set up.

McFly09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 10:54 PM   #14
nursedude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly09 View Post
I have two 6040 linked with a y-splitter cord and the tunze moonlight controller. Set up as alternating current and I'm very happy with them. If you don't need a really bright moonlight its pretty slick and turns off or turns down the pumps depending on how you have them set up.
So, does it slow the pumps or completely turn them off. I have the moonlight controller as well in the box ready to be installed tommorow. Did you find it difficult to set them up?

Unread 01/11/2017, 10:40 AM   #15
McFly09
Registered Member

It depends on how you have the pumps set up to run. It runs them on the lowest setting of your pulse mode, if you have them running parallel I think they continue to cycle on and off but at the low speed, it they're alternating than it runs one pump on the low speed during the moon cycle,when the lights come back on, they begin alternating again.

Unread 01/11/2017, 10:40 AM   #16
McFly09
Registered Member

The instructions are a little confusing but what I said will make more sense once you have it set up.

Unread 01/19/2017, 08:48 PM   #17
nursedude
Registered Member

Thanks!