Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 02:53 PM   #1
duganderson
Registered Member

FeatherDusters & Coco worms...tips for rock mounting???

I'm looking to mount or place some feather dusters and coco worms on my rock work. Can you drill a hole to put them in? If so, should you add some sand or rubble to the hole?

Any other tips for putting them on rock work?

If you put them in the sand and lean them on the rock work, do they tend to stay put OR do they tweek the size or shape of the tube and move?

Thanks in advance

duganderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 07:44 PM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

My feather dusters are on the bottom up against the edge of the rocks. I have one that buried up against and is attached to the rock. The other stay tucked up nicely against the rock work.

Unread 01/19/2017, 08:35 PM   #3
duganderson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
My feather dusters are on the bottom up against the edge of the rocks. I have one that buried up against and is attached to the rock. The other stay tucked up nicely against the rock work.
What do you mean they are attached to the rock? Do they attach themselves to the rock or do you glue them? Do they attach to the rock at the end of the tube OR along the side of the tube?

duganderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 07:41 AM   #4
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I had my large feather duster in the sand where I liked him, but his tube would periodically be moved by m fighting conch and he'd break loose and move around. So my solution was to put a small rock with zoas over top of the feather duster. A while later I tried to move him, and he is well attached to the bottom of the rock. So he must have stuck himself there. How long it took I can't say, but it happened. If you really want the feather duster attached to the rock, I'd try some super glue. Same for the coco worm, which might actually work better due to it's hard shell.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:37 AM   #5
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
What do you mean they are attached to the rock? Do they attach themselves to the rock or do you glue them? Do they attach to the rock at the end of the tube OR along the side of the tube?
Not sure about his, but I recently put a feather duster in my rockwork, and wedged it in there around the middle and towards the front of the tube for anchor points. He must have really liked that spot because he latched the butt-end of his tube to the rock exactly where I placed him by the next morning, sort of up and underneath where I can't see it in a rock crevasse. I trimmed off a bunch of excess tube (it was clear, empty, crumpled, and covered in chaeto from the LFS), so I think this sort of forced his hand in doing something about the tube breach.

If you get them in a decent spot with some medium flow, they seem to be very content. If you were to glue him or force him to stay in a spot, and the feather duster didn't like it or becomes stressed, it would likely leave the tube and build a new one in a more comfortable place. The can build tubes pretty quickly from what I understand.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 10:00 AM   #6
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
One extended the bottom of its body beneath the rock and slid into a crevasse. I wouldn't glue these worms to anything.