Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Ladipyg
Registered Member

Am I showing my age.....

but I look at the zoas on E-bay and other various sale sites and I have noticed a trend. When they take a zoa that's been around forever and just give it a new name to make it seem "cutting edge" and desirable. I'll be looking at different site and see a "new and rare" zoa for some off the wall price. I'll go and look at pictures I took of mine, maybe 12 or more years ago and SURPRISE...it's the exact SAME zoa. I guess there are unscrupulous people who take advantage of the newer hobbyists...which is sad....

Current Tank Info: Building my stand for my new tank...I have everything else ready to go.
Ladipyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 09:09 AM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladipyg View Post
I guess there are unscrupulous people who take advantage of the newer hobbyists
Yeah, this is basically it. Jack up the price on something and that makes it desirable to a subset of people. it is the same in many other retail areas.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 09:57 AM   #3
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

To be honest...I think the whole naming game is ridiculous...unless there is paper work from the original grower stating that such and such coral is so, then the whole name game is a scam...Joe blow finds a coral a local shop fit 10$ puts it under his fancy lights photoshops the heck out of it calls it utter chaos...next guy bus it aims it is and now there are a crap tone of corals that kinda look like the acclaimed coral...I think it is BS and pretty much refuse to buy any coral from people chaining it is the real deal...to each thier own I suppose...I know this guy doesn't deal with it though...my biggest pet peeve is all these posts asking for id's of coral they just bought for next to nothing...if you just bought a wild harvested coral or a coal from someone with no lineage how can it have some super rate name and price tag

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 05:40 PM   #4
MrNurse
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
To be honest...I think the whole naming game is ridiculous...unless there is paper work from the original grower stating that such and such coral is so, then the whole name game is a scam...Joe blow finds a coral a local shop fit 10$ puts it under his fancy lights photoshops the heck out of it calls it utter chaos...next guy bus it aims it is and now there are a crap tone of corals that kinda look like the acclaimed coral...I think it is BS and pretty much refuse to buy any coral from people chaining it is the real deal...to each thier own I suppose...I know this guy doesn't deal with it though...my biggest pet peeve is all these posts asking for id's of coral they just bought for next to nothing...if you just bought a wild harvested coral or a coal from someone with no lineage how can it have some super rate name and price tag
Well said. I get a kick out of seeing corals listed as "rare morphs" of an already over priced zoa.

"rare morphs" + already overpriced frag = way too much $$$

Unread 02/18/2017, 04:08 AM   #5
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post
Well said. I get a kick out of seeing corals listed as "rare morphs" of an already over priced zoa.

"rare morphs" + already overpriced frag = way too much $$$
Lol it would have been if my phone's auto correct wasn't so dumb, and I toon the time to reread it.

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 06:02 PM   #6
organism
code monkey

It's because your average hobbyist doesn't buy corals anymore, they buy a really nice picture that contains the idea of a coral. It's the new normal thanks to hype forums like clay-boa that were built entirely around renaming common corals.

Unread 02/19/2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Ladipyg
Registered Member

The truth is, what looks great in one person's tank, may not look the same in a different tank with different parameters. I refuse to pay huge prices and instead used to like trading with fellow hobbyists. One of the best coral frags I ever got came from Joel Ostrow...he called it a radiator fluid green digi. I got a small piece that grew like crazy and we so beautiful. It died in a tank meltdown while I was on vacation along with hundreds of other corals, fish, LPS, SPS, etc.

Current Tank Info: Building my stand for my new tank...I have everything else ready to go.
Ladipyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Fish finder
Registered Member

WWC has a Zoa for $150 per polyp. I saw the same polyp (maybe different lighting) on a different site for $60 with 3-4 heads

Fish finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 09:05 AM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Some names stick, some don't. I've bought most of my corals in person, but if I'm going for names, its names that are well established. There are a significant number of named corals that are well recognized, practically everyone knows what a Rasta is, or a Sunny D.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 02:31 AM   #10
enveetie
Registered Member

The naming and "branding" of zoas certainly has helped create some demand I think. Although not always best for one's wallet, probably helped in more ways than one to generate interest in reefing. It was certainly what sellers needed, for sure.

enveetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 12:35 PM   #11
honeycombz
Registered Member

just like any other collectible item, there will be high priced ones and lower priced ones too

honeycombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 01:04 AM   #12
enveetie
Registered Member

And many deals to be had. For example, my LFS runs auction for many of the fragged high end zoas and they're dirt cheap at times because there's not a large enough of a market that is bidding on those frags.

enveetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:28 PM   #13
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombz View Post
just like any other collectible item, there will be high priced ones and lower priced ones too
To phrase it in a way that actually applies here: "just like any other generic item, there will be high priced scammy vendors trying to get one over on people by changing its name and lower priced ones too."