Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Stolireef
Registered Member

Iwaki 100 on a 110 Gallon????

I have a brand new (at least, it's never seen water) Iwaki 100 and I'm setting up a new tank. Tank will be at least 110 gallons with a 50 gallon sump. Goal is to avoid ALL powerheads in the tank. I also would like to avoid having to run a separate closed loop (don't like the additional drilling nor the need for another pump.

Plan is to split the returns and set up a pvc structure on the back of the tank that will move water throughout the water column (will use a very serious anti-siphon check valve to avoid a very messy situation should the pump fail). Hopefully will run an 'out of the sump' skimmer. I also intend to build a rock structure that is more 'open' than the 'wall of rock' look. Plan on an SPS focused tank.

I picture something like a three row PVC grid on the back of the tank with multiple holes drilled in the PVC. I assume the Iwaki will have more than adequate power to deal with the head loss caused by the right angles and the twelve or so feet of PVC that will be necessary. By capping holes, I can also create areas of lower flow should that be desirable.

So, with the foregoing in mind, (a) is the Iwaki 100 too much, (b) if so, can I split off a flow for a skimmer, and (c) in how many different ways is my plan stupid? The last part is not rhetorical so feel free to have fun at my expense.

Thanks and happy Festivus.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

It would work fine but be ridiculously poor efficiency wise. So overall the desire to not have any power heads will hit you hard in the pocket book as the iwaki uses around 380W !

380w draw running 24-7 at 11 cents per kwh would cost you $366 a year.

You could run a smaller pump and a pair of powerheads rated at around 85W combined which would run you $81 a year in electricity, a savings of $285 per year or $23.75 a month

If you feel you really must go closed loop, there are far more efficient pumps you could chose that would end up paying for themselves over the iwaki in relatively short order.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Stolireef
Registered Member

Good point on the power consumption. Really do want to avoid powerheads though. Maybe I have to get over my fear of a closed loop and use two smaller pumps, one for return and one for CL.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 01:58 PM   #4
rafajara1985
Registered Member

In order to achieve the flow you want in your tank, the turnover rate going through the sump would be a little too much. I only run 3-4x turnover through the sump but 20-30x total turnover in the tank.

Unread 12/26/2011, 05:20 PM   #5
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

I would not run that much flow through your overflows, it will be loud, and very little margin of safety if one gets blocked.

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote