Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2017, 09:21 PM   #10226
justinsai3
Registered Member

How do i make a new thread??

justinsai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 10:35 PM   #10227
Frank H
Registered Member

Hi all, new here from San Diego. Im starting a 65g reef and am getting most of my info from here. Patiently waiting for delivery of my tank but I have most of my equipment sitting here waiting. Not much more to say besides I really appreciate all the info shared here! Cheers!

Frank H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 06:25 PM   #10228
BP Outdoors
Registered Member

New Member.. Just snorkeled Cuba

By all new member.. I have been a diver for 5 years but only made about 20 dives.. I also love snorkeling! Just returned from Cuba.. has anyone dived or snorkeled there? Where can u recommend for my next trip that won't break the bank lol.. check out my Gopro video from Cuba! Hope to hear back https://youtu.be/kEn1djWBh14

BP Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 05:10 PM   #10229
lewsss
Registered Member

Hey everyone from the UK!! Does anone know why my thread/posts arent showing up? Thanks

lewsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 10:17 PM   #10230
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewsss View Post
Hey everyone from the UK!! Does anone know why my thread/posts arent showing up? Thanks

New threads, and sometimes posts, from new users often go into a manual moderation queue before appearing as a way to prevent spammers from getting in. It can be frustrating, I'm sure, but you'll soon be out of that range.

And hello from across the pond!

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 01:58 AM   #10231
lewsss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
New threads, and sometimes posts, from new users often go into a manual moderation queue before appearing as a way to prevent spammers from getting in. It can be frustrating, I'm sure, but you'll soon be out of that range.

And hello from across the pond!
Ah I see. Thanks!
And yes hello!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lewsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 04:00 AM   #10232
Lyubashka
Registered Member

Newbee to the reef game, would use some advise :)

Hi there,

I am new both to the forum and to the reef thing. I've crawled many forums for the last month and finally decided to register here. Seems like the friendliest one

A bought my tank only a couple of weeks ago. So far I love how it looks, but I don't really know much on what is the right way to look after it.

I would really appreciate your advise on the most basic things and where to start.
Thanks

Lyubashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 02:13 PM   #10233
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badellbe View Post
Hi, my name is Bernie. After thinking about starting a reef tank for awhile I decided to do it. It's a 22 gal 16 x 16 x 20. Bought a protein skimmer, a heater and a powerhead and a 15gal package from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Here's a picture of part one after a week. Can't wait for the cycle to finish so I can get part 2 and start to aquascape it.
I like how you've set up my rockscape in your tank. It's a nice use of the space, while giving your fish and inverts places to hide, and swim thru's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badellbe View Post
Hi, my name is Bernie. After thinking about starting a reef tank for awhile I decided to do it. It's a 22 gal 16 x 16 x 20. Bought a protein skimmer, a heater and a powerhead and a 15gal package from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Here's a picture of part one after a week. Can't wait for the cycle to finish so I can get part 2 and start to aquascape it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 06:34 PM   #10234
captedcm
Registered Member

new kid on the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...4#post14751514
it all started when my daughter asked me to look at an aquarium for her husbands office, the tank was in Florida close to where I have a winter home. It was a corner tank about 5 foot high holds 200 Gal, it came with a 50 gal tank and a lot of parts the price was ok so I packed everything on a truck and sent it to NJ where my daughter lives. The tanks sat in the barn over the summer till the office was ready, it took several pickup trucks to move everything to the office 60 miles away. now the fun begins, none of us had any experience at setting up a saltwater aquarium so I decided to give it a try in the 50 gal tank.

First I needed a stand to put the tank on. I found a local tropical fish store and picked a stand. The guys at the store were very helpful advising me on what to do I had the filter for the 50 Gal tank with me but some of the major parts were missing so I just bought a new filter and salt and started from scratch after getting the testing kits, heater, light and glass top we were ready to go after getting the water checked several times.
I started with 2 blue damsels just testing the waters with them, several days went by and they were still alive, score one for the good guys, next in were a clown fish and a yellow tang they to survived we are on our way to a happy 50 Gal aquarium, adding a few more fish as the weeks went by
My daughter found someone local who sets up and maintains aquariums , the 200 gal aquarium was out of my league, so I watched, learned and helped where I could. Both Aquariums are up and running now and look great

The fish bug bit me hard, I got a 45 gal corner aquarium from a friend and started on my own. The setup went smooth and I had 6 fish in no time. As I said earlier I winter in Florida but this was no problem as my son has an aquarium in his class room at school so when school started we moved the fish to his tank for the winter. We are back form Florida now and I found a 150 gal tank for free. Its up and running and I have my fish back for the summer Happy Happy
Captedcm

captedcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 10:34 PM   #10235
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanaWelch View Post
Hey there, everyone!
Glad to be here. I hope you can help me out if ever I have questions since I'm new to the hobby.
You're in good hands here. You'll definitely get good advice, especially as there are many who I'm certain are truly experts in this hobby.
Please tell use if you have a tank now, all about your setup, and any livestock you have in it. Or, what you would like to build, or are building now. We all love to see photos of each other's tanks, and setups for the support. As you add fish, and coral please feel free to share your happy information with us.

Unread 05/22/2017, 05:52 PM   #10236
kamuii
Registered Member

Red face

Hi there.. i'm fairly new to the saltwater hobby, i'm a 16 year old student, i have a 15 gallon column tank and i plan on getting two ocellaris clowns and a firefish goby! I have a fair amount of questions, so i hope i won't be spamming too much!!

kamuii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 07:26 PM   #10237
acso151
Registered Member

Hello reefing community! I am somewhat new to the hobby but do have limited experience with a few FOWLR tanks in the past. I renewed my interest in the hobby when my teenage son wanted to set up my old equipment. It is now a bonding experience for us and I am really into it like never before. Of course I had to upgrade almost everything but it's only money! Been set up for 2 1/2 months now and all going well. Frustrated no coralline algae yet but I'm sure it will come. Thanks for all the great info I found on this site and I feel much more prepared because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acso151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 07:09 AM   #10238
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuii View Post
Hi there.. i'm fairly new to the saltwater hobby, i'm a 16 year old student, i have a 15 gallon column tank and i plan on getting two ocellaris clowns and a firefish goby! I have a fair amount of questions, so i hope i won't be spamming too much!!
Welcome, it sounds like you're waiting for your tank to cycle, which is the right way to start your tank. Are you planning to eventually add some corals? They do come later, after your tank has really settled in, and your parameters are consistently stable. Also, there are incredible inverts, crabs, shrimp, and shellfish to consider, even in the nano tanks so many of us have. The inverts, and snails help keep the tank cleaner, eating the excess food, and algae off the rocks, and tank walls(snails). Please tell us more about your tank. Do you have a sand bed, or a bare bottom tank. Did/are you using live rocks in your setup? I do hope you only receive only constructive help here, as we should all go out of our way to help young saltwater tank enthusiast get a good foundation of knowledge in this hobby, which can quickly become a true passion for us.

Unread 05/23/2017, 07:20 AM   #10239
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acso151 View Post
Hello reefing community! I am somewhat new to the hobby but do have limited experience with a few FOWLR tanks in the past. I renewed my interest in the hobby when my teenage son wanted to set up my old equipment. It is now a bonding experience for us and I am really into it like never before. Of course I had to upgrade almost everything but it's only money! Been set up for 2 1/2 months now and all going well. Frustrated no coralline algae yet but I'm sure it will come. Thanks for all the great info I found on this site and I feel much more prepared because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome, what a awesome experience, to be able to help guide your teenager as he's getting started, and reviving your own interest in our amazing love of saltwater tanks. We'll be looking forward to seeing photos of your setup.

Unread 05/23/2017, 09:00 AM   #10240
Frcarvajal
Registered Member

Hello,

I have been in the fish keeping hobby for about 5-6 years. I started my pasion with goldfish and cichlid tanks. 2 years ago i started watching videos on youtube and reading about how to keep a reef tank. Reef keeping was a mith in Dominican Republic, where i live, because even today you can still count with you hands how many people has reef tanks in this country, not to tell two years ago. One year ago i decided to make my own reef tank. Started with a 30 gallon cube, and 4 months after i changed to 60 gallon and thats the tank that i have right now. its a 36 x 20 x 18, with a 30 gallon sump. I currently host a variety of corals like zoas, lps and a few sps under x2 Ai primes non hd and everything its great till now. Hope i can keep learning in this forum and glad to be here. Thank you

Frcarvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 12:59 AM   #10241
kamuii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynavyvet View Post
Welcome, it sounds like you're waiting for your tank to cycle, which is the right way to start your tank. Are you planning to eventually add some corals? They do come later, after your tank has really settled in, and your parameters are consistently stable. Also, there are incredible inverts, crabs, shrimp, and shellfish to consider, even in the nano tanks so many of us have. The inverts, and snails help keep the tank cleaner, eating the excess food, and algae off the rocks, and tank walls(snails). Please tell us more about your tank. Do you have a sand bed, or a bare bottom tank. Did/are you using live rocks in your setup? I do hope you only receive only constructive help here, as we should all go out of our way to help young saltwater tank enthusiast get a good foundation of knowledge in this hobby, which can quickly become a true passion for us.

sorry for the late reply! and yes i am! i'm currently in my nirIte spike so i'm just kinda waiting for it to calm down lol.. i do plan on keeping corals!! although not anytime soon lol too pricey atm and plus i'm somewhat intimidated rn.. i plan on using LR and i have about a 2 or 2-1/2 inch sandbed using live sand and regular, about 3-5 pounds of reg and 10 pounds of live, roughly i really can't remember. i'm kinda unsure of who i want as a CUC right now but i've been researching and i really like the cleaner shrimp and the nassirius (? is that how you spell it? wwoooops) snails, along with some other inverts such as well! I've already made my first post and so far everyone has been really kind and helping!! And thank you, i really hope i could get along with everyone and that i'm not too much of a newby nuisance lol!

Unread 05/24/2017, 07:08 AM   #10242
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry for the late reply! and yes i am! i'm currently in my nirIte spike so i'm just kinda waiting for it to calm down lol.. i do plan on keeping corals!! although not anytime soon lol too pricey atm and plus i'm somewhat intimidated rn.. i plan on using LR and i have about a 2 or 2-1/2 inch sandbed using live sand and regular, about 3-5 pounds of reg and 10 pounds of live, roughly i really can't remember. i'm kinda unsure of who i want as a CUC right now but i've been researching and i really like the cleaner shrimp and the nassirius (? is that how you spell it? wwoooops) snails, along with some other inverts such as well! I've already made my first post and so far everyone has been really kind and helping!! And thank you, i really hope i could get along with everyone and that i'm not too much of a newby nuisance lol!
You are certainly not a "newbie nuisance" ! We are all here to share, learn, and help one another. About adding corals, how expensive it can be, the key word here is "can". Check out coral frags, they can be quite affordable, and are a fantastic way to add corals to our nano tanks. Some can grow quickly. Here's a prime example of a soft body frag i go this month, it's called a "frogspawn", and here are to other frgs i have in my nano tank.
Quote:

Unread 05/24/2017, 07:12 AM   #10243
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

I paid less than $100.00 for all of them.

Unread 05/24/2017, 09:12 AM   #10244
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Hey there RC folks. My name is Dev. I am new to reefing but not to fish keeping. Started in 2013 with planted tanks. It was challenging to learn all the nuances of planted tanks to get a perfect Iwagumi with dosing, aqua-scaping etc, But i believe reefing is even more challenging. I was inspired by my Brother in-law's 300 gallon mixed reef tank. I plan to start one and post my tank build soon. Excited to share this with the reefing community. Happy Reefing.

FishD@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 12:02 PM   #10245
RaymondSassu
Registered Member

Smile New Red Sea Max E170

Hi all I have rekindled my desire for a tank so I have invested in a Max E 170, VorTech mp40, Deltec sc1455 in sump skimmer and Hailea Chiller, is this a good start?
I would also love to find a reliable aquaculture coral vendor who ships internationally.
Raymond.

RaymondSassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 01:11 PM   #10246
kamuii
Registered Member

Quote:
You are certainly not a "newbie nuisance" ! We are all here to share, learn, and help one another. About adding corals, how expensive it can be, the key word here is "can". Check out coral frags, they can be quite affordable, and are a fantastic way to add corals to our nano tanks. Some can grow quickly. Here's a prime example of a soft body frag i go this month, it's called a "frogspawn", and here are to other frgs i have in my nano tank.

omg those are so tiny... i'll be on the hunt for those lol is the frogspawn easy to keep? if not what's some good beginner corals? once again thanks for the help ^^; !!

Unread 05/24/2017, 03:15 PM   #10247
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
omg those are so tiny... i'll be on the hunt for those lol is the frogspawn easy to keep? if not what's some good beginner corals? once again thanks for the help ^^; !!
This is where I'm going to defer to th true experts here, what are the best beginner corals?

Unread 05/24/2017, 08:49 PM   #10248
Recycled Again
Registered Member

Howdy folks,
Started with salt tanks back in the late 80's. You learned the basics from books and from your mistakes back then. Under gravel systems were proven and wet/dry systems were the answer to all your water quality problems..
And so it begins anew.

75 Gal tall with base rock and live rock; royal gramma , cleaner shrimp and watchman goby with pistol shrimp and assorted cleaning crew. Tank has been up and running for two+ months and tried and true has proven to still be the solid way to go.

Lighting? ***. The hobby has gone crazy on lighting. I have a 2 bulb T8 fixture that came with the tank. Replaced the bulbs with a blue and a full spectrum. Expect the questions to fly on the lighting , because those little ceramic disks with coral have caught my attention.

Dan

Recycled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 09:41 PM   #10249
kamuii
Registered Member

Quote:
This is where I'm going to defer to th true experts here, what are the best beginner corals?

huh? sorry it's such a simple reply but i'm kinda confused lol.. sorry!!

Unread 05/24/2017, 10:17 PM   #10250
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
huh? sorry it's such a simple reply but i'm kinda confused lol.. sorry!!
No problem. I'm still a relative novice reef keeper, and I don't know many of the corals by their proper names. I can tell you that the "button" corals are supposed to be easy fow newbies to maintain, as long as your tank is finished cycling. They're a hard bodied coral, but they look as if the are covered by brilliant buttons of color. They are filter feeders, and donot require target feeding. Look into those and see if I'm right. I'm certain about one thing, if I'm wrong, someone here will chime in and let me know.

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral