Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2017, 09:17 PM   #3576
nemodan
Registered Member

Looking very well. In no time you will have great colonies.

Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 02:19 PM   #3577
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking good Matt. Where's N?
So, the cheato reactor is seriously working.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 03:03 PM   #3578
Noddyfish
Registered Member

Great looking reef tank! Well done!

Current Tank Info: Planning
Noddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 05:34 PM   #3579
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Looks fantastic Matt, keep on keeping on.
Thanks Mark!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Looking very well. In no time you will have great colonies.
Daniel
Ahh, the waiting game...I hate the waiting game!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Looking good Matt. Where's N?
So, the cheato reactor is seriously working.
Nitrate is pretty much unchanged at about 50ppm. Some GFO helped with Phosphate but my previous GFO use didn't have as much of an impact as the combination with Chaeto has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddyfish View Post
Great looking reef tank! Well done!
thanks!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 06:48 AM   #3580
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
BRS did a nice experiment with Chaeto showing its effectiveness, and it was literally free for the algae. My total out of pocket is 20dollars for an LED strip to make this diy reactor:

I also have a standard Refugia area in the sump with another mass of Chaeto. I know it can work, and I have seen proof of nice colors in many Triton tanks, so I think I can do a bit of "Triton on the cheap".

The Triton test results show a value for Correction dosage and maintenance dosage that can easily be back calculated to determine percentage of NSW value to be dosed per day. It's about 12% for both Manganese and Zinc per Triton recommendations.

Joe has been dosing Manganese at 0.0006 mg/l daily, Zinc at 0.0008 mg/l daily(Much higher than 12% - 36 and 48%, respectively of NSW target), and only recently saw a little accumulation for Zinc.
My dosing works out to a smaller amount(0.00024mg/l Manganese and 0.00032mg/L Zinc) so I am not worried about build-up, and I will raise the values after I am comfortable that everything continues to do well.

I added Boron since it may improve reds, and it is an important biological component that will not be adequately replaced without water changes. Calcium reactor media doesn't contain enough, and algae can be a sink for Boron. It also is pretty forgiving if overdosed, so I am not worried there.

Between the algae and the dosing, everything is doing well, here is another progression shot:

The FTS is still a little barren as the corals are smaller and father apart, but see how clean the rocks are - its like everything has been scrubbed clean all the time:
Tank looks nice and cool chaeto can. I have been kicking around the idea to doing something similar to what you did.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 11:28 PM   #3581
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzel View Post
Tank looks nice and cool chaeto can. I have been kicking around the idea to doing something similar to what you did.
Thanks Mark, though I can't claim credit. Chaeto is growing well in the reactor, but it would probably grow better if the water going in went through a filter sock or something first. A lot of sludge in the chaeto first time through. The Chaeto was healthy and thick inside at least.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
Unread 05/09/2017, 11:30 PM   #3582
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

A couple more comparisons, things are taking off nicely:

Unread 05/17/2017, 10:25 PM   #3583
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Update:
I continue to be amazed at the recovery the tank is making and how well it has adjusted to an Algal driven system. I get about a gallon or so of chaeto out of the refugia chamber each week, I only have to clean the tank glass every 3 days or so, and the rock is spotless. I tested Phosphate a few days back and the tank was at 0.03ppm.

The corals are all doing extremely well, encrusting at the bases and putting out new growth tips all the time. I continue with the trace element regime as before, with some small changes. Note that this regime is in place of changing water and I also run a Calcium reactor that replenishes macro-elements.
I am dosing daily:
Zinc to target ~10% of NSW(4ug/L)
Manganese to target ~12% NSW Value(2ug/l)
3 drops Lugol's
20ml Brightwell Strontium
0.06ppm Boron
3 drops AF vitality after lights out.

Once per week:
14 mL ea FM Coral colors red/purple and blue/purple

I'm pretty impressed so far with a Chaeto filtered system. I'll get some pics up this weekend with some comparison pics.

Unread 05/18/2017, 05:54 AM   #3584
reefmutt
Registered Member

Matt, am I looking for boric acid or sodium borate? I assume it's the latter..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 05/18/2017, 08:24 AM   #3585
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Matt, am I looking for boric acid or sodium borate? I assume it's the latter..
Just use plain old Borax. There is a RHF article about boron in the aquarium and the solution preparation instructions are in there.

Unread 05/18/2017, 09:23 AM   #3586
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks Matt !
On it.

Pics please

Unread 05/18/2017, 11:24 AM   #3587
gregkn73
Registered Member

Quote:
Update:
I continue to be amazed at the recovery the tank is making and how well it has adjusted to an Algal driven system. I get about a gallon or so of chaeto out of the refugia chamber each week, I only have to clean the tank glass every 3 days or so, and the rock is spotless. I tested Phosphate a few days back and the tank was at 0.03ppm.

The corals are all doing extremely well, encrusting at the bases and putting out new growth tips all the time. I continue with the trace element regime as before, with some small changes. Note that this regime is in place of changing water and I also run a Calcium reactor that replenishes macro-elements.
I am dosing daily:
Zinc to target ~10% of NSW(4ug/L)
Manganese to target ~12% NSW Value(2ug/l)
3 drops Lugol's
20ml Brightwell Strontium
0.06ppm Boron
3 drops AF vitality after lights out.

Once per week:
14 mL ea FM Coral colors red/purple and blue/purple

I'm pretty impressed so far with a Chaeto filtered system. I'll get some pics up this weekend with some comparison pics.
Matt with such quick chaeto growth, do you measure for K and Fe? Don't you consider those two elements , important for chaeto health?

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 02:46 PM   #3588
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Matt with such quick chaeto growth, do you measure for K and Fe? Don't you consider those two elements , important for chaeto health?
I measure for K, currently at 450ppm. I add Iron if i see lightening of the Chaeto or slower growth, via Iron Citrate solution. Measuring for Iron is almost worthless as it gets bound very quickly and drops below the LOD for testers/kits after a few hours.

Unread 05/21/2017, 08:04 PM   #3589
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Update:
Tank is doing great, corals growing well. As promised here are some pictures:

Unread 05/22/2017, 06:21 AM   #3590
markalot

Very nice Matt, colors are looking great.

I miss my bubble tip ... not enough to get another one though.

Unread 05/22/2017, 06:22 AM   #3591
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice Matt, pe is excellent and you have like no nuisance algea.

Unread 05/22/2017, 07:01 AM   #3592
reefwiser
Registered Member

Happy to see your tank moving in the right direction Matt.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 06:29 PM   #3593
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Very nice Matt, colors are looking great.

I miss my bubble tip ... not enough to get another one though.
Thanks Mark!
I have never had a "Bubble Tip" anemone with actual bubble tips...so I started feeding this one in the hopes that I produce one. So far so good, some tips are bubbling and the whole thing is less stringy. If it could look like it did when i got it with bubble tips it will be incredible looking.

Quote:
Nice Matt, pe is excellent and you have like no nuisance algea.
Thanks Matt, I'm well pleased too.
No nuisance algae is right - this algal driven system has been really easy so far, everything is growing now which is great, and phosphate levels have stayed low- 0.04ppm on my last test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
Happy to see your tank moving in the right direction Matt.
Me too! I just wish I could afford to buy frags

Unread 05/23/2017, 04:48 AM   #3594
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Good to see things looking so good again Matt The scape is looking groovy

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 01:07 AM   #3595
kainic
Registered Member

How is the tank doing Matt? Anything new? Growth pics?

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 08:59 AM   #3596
nemodan
Registered Member

Hi Matt

Any update ?

Cheers
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 04:45 PM   #3597
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted but I keep my eyes on all your threads It's been nuts at work and up until a few weeks ago the wife was looking for a job, so between zero money and very little time the tank was on autopilot. Still, some interesting events/info about this mode of the tank were noted.

First, I had been using chaeto in a fuge as well as a reactor along with GFO and carbon in a media reactor. Phosphate dropped and stabilized at less than 0.05ppm and held there for months. I just let the media reactor go, and when about 3+ months had passed, with phosphate holding steady at less than 0.05ppm, I finally cleaned it out. There were all kinds of organisms and sponge grown through the reactor. I figured the GFO had long been exhausted.

About two weeks after removal, I tested phosphate and it had risen to 0.15! I thought it might be a fluke reading, and was too busy to care, all the corals looked good if a little slow in the growth department. Several more weeks passed, Then this week I saw the birdsnests tips thickening and not growing with the needle sharp tips they used to have. Coral growth had slowed to a crawl. A phosphate test showed 0.44ppm
More Phosphate minus will arrive tomorrow

Chaeto growth went nuts with the higher phosphate, I just wish the chaeto could take more phosphate up. I do not have enough chaeto growth area for the size of the system to do it all without GFO help.

I have been dosing Zinc and Manganese and continue to do so daily. I was dosing Boron daily but I think I over-did it as Reds became very intense then other corals started to take on reddish hues where they never had before. I'll re-start dosing if the chaeto shows brittleness, maybe I'll even get a test kit now that we have two incomes again.

I dose strontium from Seachem and FM colors Blue/purple weekly, feed the fish, and clean the glass every 4th day or so. It's weird how no algae or cyano is present in the SPS reef, I mean it is clean as can be. A little cyano is present in the flubber tank, mainly on the sand.

So far this tank is going on 8 months with no significant water change, I have replaced a few gallons here and there when siphoning out detritus, but nothing other than that.

I had one screw-up when the CO2 cylinder ran out and the alkalinity dropped to just over 4.5, I lost parts of one coral colony but otherwise nothing died. I have an infestation of Aiptasia but a Copperband Butterfly has been brought in to help. It's just about time to replace bulbs as well.

Well, I think that is about it for catching up See you all in your threads!

FTS from last night:

Unread 09/02/2017, 05:09 PM   #3598
reefwiser
Registered Member

Good to hear that things are looking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 08:35 PM   #3599
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Thanks! Oh I forgot about the little AEFW re-infestation. I think I beat it this time with dips every 5 days for a month. So far a couple months have passed without recurrence

Unread 09/03/2017, 10:00 PM   #3600
wheelman76
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted but I keep my eyes on all your threads It's been nuts at work and up until a few weeks ago the wife was looking for a job, so between zero money and very little time the tank was on autopilot. Still, some interesting events/info about this mode of the tank were noted.

First, I had been using chaeto in a fuge as well as a reactor along with GFO and carbon in a media reactor. Phosphate dropped and stabilized at less than 0.05ppm and held there for months. I just let the media reactor go, and when about 3+ months had passed, with phosphate holding steady at less than 0.05ppm, I finally cleaned it out. There were all kinds of organisms and sponge grown through the reactor. I figured the GFO had long been exhausted.

About two weeks after removal, I tested phosphate and it had risen to 0.15! I thought it might be a fluke reading, and was too busy to care, all the corals looked good if a little slow in the growth department. Several more weeks passed, Then this week I saw the birdsnests tips thickening and not growing with the needle sharp tips they used to have. Coral growth had slowed to a crawl. A phosphate test showed 0.44ppm
More Phosphate minus will arrive tomorrow

Chaeto growth went nuts with the higher phosphate, I just wish the chaeto could take more phosphate up. I do not have enough chaeto growth area for the size of the system to do it all without GFO help.

I have been dosing Zinc and Manganese and continue to do so daily. I was dosing Boron daily but I think I over-did it as Reds became very intense then other corals started to take on reddish hues where they never had before. I'll re-start dosing if the chaeto shows brittleness, maybe I'll even get a test kit now that we have two incomes again.

I dose strontium from Seachem and FM colors Blue/purple weekly, feed the fish, and clean the glass every 4th day or so. It's weird how no algae or cyano is present in the SPS reef, I mean it is clean as can be. A little cyano is present in the flubber tank, mainly on the sand.

So far this tank is going on 8 months with no significant water change, I have replaced a few gallons here and there when siphoning out detritus, but nothing other than that.

I had one screw-up when the CO2 cylinder ran out and the alkalinity dropped to just over 4.5, I lost parts of one coral colony but otherwise nothing died. I have an infestation of Aiptasia but a Copperband Butterfly has been brought in to help. It's just about time to replace bulbs as well.

Well, I think that is about it for catching up See you all in your threads!

FTS from last night:
Are you saying that you think Boron keeps the chaeto from going brittle ?

I can't keep chaeto alive no matter what I do lol , I have a strong led grow light , enough nutrients , and have experimented with slightly raising Potassium, dosing iron etc etc. As soon as I add a new ball of fresh chaeto from a friend , the growth explodes for the first week. Then the growth of the chaeto considerably slows down after the first week and gets very dense , and then starts to deteriorate.