Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2017, 03:25 PM   #26
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This is a beautiful tank and set up! Congratulations Mike!!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 09:15 AM   #27
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitr8 View Post
I use the same pump for my return. Do you find that it doesn't handle head pressure very well. I have a "Y" in my plumbing so one pump feeds both return inlets and the water just kind flows out like a waterfall, just spilling out. Is yours the same way?
No, I get fairly strong flow from my Eheim 1262 return pump even though I am also running two reactors off the pump. I only have a single return outlet (the Sea Swirl), but I suspect even with two outlets the flow would be good. There is 4'-3" of head height on my return line along with 4 90's. It sounds like something may be wrong with your pump. I haven't measured the exact flow but I would guess it's in the 500 gph range.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 01:03 PM   #28
slief
RC Sponsor

Very very nice tank!! Congrats on an honor well deserved!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 12:31 PM   #29
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

The pictures don't tell the whole story. What I like the most about the tank is the color of the light. Mike has dial it in perfectly so soothing to the eye when you look at the tank.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 10:49 PM   #30
mpderksen
Registered Member

Wonderful tank. Your use of raceways is as beautiful as the corals.... could I get some details on how you mounted you lighting? I'm about to need to do something similar, but for a 6-foot tank....
Michael

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 09:38 AM   #31
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpderksen View Post
Wonderful tank. Your use of raceways is as beautiful as the corals.... could I get some details on how you mounted you lighting? I'm about to need to do something similar, but for a 6-foot tank....
Michael
I used strut attached to the back of the stand as the primary light supports.

I attached heavy duty drawer guides to the strut and then mounted a box frame to the drawer guides that the lights sit in. Here is a top down view:

I have two 200mm (8") fans mounted between the lights for cooling.

Unread 03/28/2017, 02:04 PM   #32
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
I have been very happy with the AI Hydra 52 lights. I run a 5 hour ramp up and ramp down and 3 hours at peak intensity. The outside two lights peat at 70% blues, 50% white, 30% green and red, the middle light peaks at 50% blues, 35% white and 21% green and red. I've considered adding a couple of t5 bulbs to light the shaded areas, but the tank is doing so well now I hate to mess with it.
The next time I hear someone say that LED's aren't great for SPS or that they have shading issues, I'm sending them to this thread. I'm pretty sure you've solidly disproved that theory. BTW, a TOTM from a few months ago (Elliott's tank in Phoenix) is lit by AI Sols with simply incredible results, thus putting another nail in that theory coffin.

Beautiful tank and fantastic build. Congrats!!!!

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 01:12 PM   #33
jeremevans
Registered Member

The configuration is clean and impressive.

Have you tested the 18 days away with actual vacations?

I'm also curious about tilting the lights--do you think there is a real difference in the growth direction and does it improve the display much?

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 04:48 PM   #34
glaukos
Registered Member

Congrats mike,tank looks awesome and the nomination well deserved

Unread 05/01/2017, 03:59 PM   #35
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremevans View Post
The configuration is clean and impressive.

Have you tested the 18 days away with actual vacations?

I'm also curious about tilting the lights--do you think there is a real difference in the growth direction and does it improve the display much?
The longest we have been gone on vacation is two weeks (14 full days) and there was still a few days worth of top off water left. If I was going to go longer I could add a couple of 5 gallon buckets with a siphon tube interconnecting it with the reservoir, but honestly I would almost certainly have one of my reefing buddies drop by the house if I was going to be gone more than two weeks just to check things out.

The lights on an angle make a big difference with SPS coral growth, I first tried the angled lights on my old 50 gallon cube and within 6 months the change in coral growth was noticeable. You give up a little PAR value with the angled lights due to reflection, but I have plenty of extra power in the lights so it's not a problem in my tank.

Unread 05/03/2017, 10:12 PM   #36
cfsg
Registered Member

Amazing tank and wonderful setup

cfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 02:57 PM   #37
gcarroll
Registered Member

Awesome Job Mike! Proud to have you as part of SCMAS.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 08:25 AM   #38
Jadams
Registered Member

This is such a killer tank! I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and seeing his tank in person last weekend.