Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Adam13
Registered Member

Fumigation question

Hello, its been a while since I was on here. Tank is running well, but the house needs to be fumigated. They will use Dow AgroSciences Vikane, whiuch is 99.8% Sulfuryl Flouride.

What are you recommendations? Has anyone covered a tank with plastic sheeting? I would really not want to move the entire setup outside for a few days, and move it back in, but if this is what is needed it is needed. Don't want to kill my corals or fish.

Adam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Pond Boy
Registered Member

You need to get it out of the house. Any contaminate will kill all the fish, corals and live sand..

Current Tank Info: JBJ 12g
Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

See if the exterminating company can cover & pressurize the system with outside air.

Unread 05/09/2017, 10:32 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Just wanted to say great/valid answers by both Pond Boy and Vinny..

You either need to get the tank out of the house or have it covered and pressurized with outside air..
Speak with the fumigation experts for other possible solutions..

Interesting read here too..
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/5/aafeature3

Unread 05/09/2017, 05:26 PM   #5
carrots
Registered Member

I used to work for a pest control co. What kind of fumigation are you having done? Maybe you can seal off the room from the rest of the house. Most fumigation are only for a few hours. Covering the tank and filters with plastic and running a air pump from the outside for the few hours you should be good. A small slit in the plastic to release air on top of the tank is all that is needed. When done use a window fan for at least 30 minutes to air out room before removing plastic.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 10:48 PM   #6
jalisco
Registered Member

If the chemical compound is as deadly to the aquarium as some suggest and you cannot seal off the room the aquarium is in, then if it were me I would build a plywood box over the aquarium and seal it with foil duct tape then gorilla duct tape. Cut two 4 or 6 inch holes in the plywood to mount and seal ducting flanges. Run two flexible ducts outside and install an inline duct fan at the end of one that will pull air out of the aquarium box and draw fresh air in through the other duct. You can get 20' sections of 4" dryer ducting for less than a dollar per foot at home depot. 6" a/c ducting is a bit over a dollar per foot. Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KWYJQYA...a-274283617125

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote