Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2017, 07:13 AM   #1
L8Braker
Registered Member

Chaeto Falling apart would ATS be better now?

So I've lowered my nutrients so low my chaeto is starting to fall apart when I harvest it. I have plenty of light (Vipar Spectra) when I put this light on it grew like crazy!!! I've now exhausted what the chaeto can remove, so I'm curious if an ATS would have the same low nutrient take up issues or would it do better? I guess my question is what happens to an ATS when the nutrients get really low?

My tank is 300 gallons with twice daily auto feeding of Apex pellets and then I manually feed benepets coral food and LRS reef frenzy 3 times weekly.

L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Southpaw007
Registered Member

I personally love algae scrubbers. But if my water has super low nutrients I turn down my algae scrubber down (controllable lights) and it works good for me but generally the nutrient won't be too low and the growth just slows down
Here is a good video to explain how good they work and show what happens when the nutrients are gone

https://youtu.be/wD6kA3xDPaM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Southpaw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A simple solution is just to prune your chaeto down to a much smaller plant. A smaller plant needs less nutrients, and can grow bigger when nutrient levels rise.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 07:43 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It may not be that the macro-nutrients are too low, but that trace elements are lacking. I have to dose an iron supplement to my tank in order to get good chaeto growth. All things being equal, ATS is a more space-friendly tool.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote