Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2017, 11:14 AM   #1
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

Green Hair Algae problem...

got GHA issue. reading 0 nitrite 0 nitrate and 0 ammonia. i lowered light hours manually cleaned the entire tank took forever. is it ok to use PHOSGUARD and PURIGEN with 0 nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? dont want to kill my sps and other corals. what tips do you got to get rid of this stuff, its slowly killing all my zoas.....

SuperSaltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 11:28 AM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

How old is the tank? It is very common for this to appear in new tanks. You can run some GFO to combat it right now.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 11:43 AM   #3
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
How old is the tank? It is very common for this to appear in new tanks. You can run some GFO to combat it right now.
2 years old...i got busy with work and it got out of hand the past year. im refurbishing my reef now.

Unread 05/22/2017, 11:44 AM   #4
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

i have phosguard atm.

Unread 05/22/2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

I got rid of my GHA forest with an algae turf scrubber. Super simple to set up. It doesn't seem to even grow much algae, but I now have 0 hair algae in my display and the bubble algae is going away fast.

I too was reading 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, as well as 0 phosphates. Tried GFO, tried vinegar, tried biopellets, tried 20% weekly water changes. Pellets may have helped a little, but nothing really changed until I added the ATS.

Check out the first picture and the bottom of the second page.

Darth Tater's 40 Breeder

Unread 05/22/2017, 08:02 PM   #6
Ghost25
Registered Member

If it's bad I'd recommend Fluconazole. Traditional advice is reduce feeding, remove algae manually, lower phosphates with GFO etc.

None of that worked for me, in 3 weeks Fluconazole removed 95% of my algae without harming my livestock.

Ghost25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 08:51 AM   #7
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Tater View Post
I got rid of my GHA forest with an algae turf scrubber. Super simple to set up. It doesn't seem to even grow much algae, but I now have 0 hair algae in my display and the bubble algae is going away fast.

I too was reading 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, as well as 0 phosphates. Tried GFO, tried vinegar, tried biopellets, tried 20% weekly water changes. Pellets may have helped a little, but nothing really changed until I added the ATS.

Check out the first picture and the bottom of the second page.

Darth Tater's 40 Breeder
Do this long term ^^^^^

Short term - Use API's Algaefix marine. It will kill of any algae with harming your corals.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 06:04 AM   #8
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

i manually removed all the GHA, added purigen and phosguard and it seems to be working. growth is slowed and i think its going to correct the issue. my phosphates were at around .5-1 it was to hard to guess the color on the test. i will test again tomorrow after 4 days on phosguard.

Unread 05/25/2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Heuristic
Registered Member

I was having a GHA problem, so I removed all of the algae and started running chemipro elite to remove the phosphates, after almost a month, this caused my phosphates to drop too much which sparked a Dino algae issue that I'm still fighting. It also killed off all of my Chaeto because the Dino algae was winning the nutrient battle..

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 10:20 AM   #10
TYC
Registered Member

get a yellow Tang if u can. As soon as I put one in tank s/he ate up all GHA (even some that were growing around zoas that I couldn't get rid of) & bubble algae clean.

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 12:08 PM   #11
Fuzms
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost25 View Post
If it's bad I'd recommend Fluconazole. Traditional advice is reduce feeding, remove algae manually, lower phosphates with GFO etc.

None of that worked for me, in 3 weeks Fluconazole removed 95% of my algae without harming my livestock.
same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
Do this long term ^^^^^

Short term - Use API's Algaefix marine. It will kill of any algae with harming your corals.

Algaefix killed off some things for me but never touched my GHA.

Phos may read zero, but still have thriving GHA. This is because phosphates are bound up in the living GHA. As some naturally dies that Phosphate will go back into the water to be taken up by growing GHA and by your GFO. Meaning GFO could be a long wait.

I did algaefix, manual removal, tons of GFO for about a year and was making no noticeable impact. 1 dose of Fluconazole and a 3 week wait, followed by 2 large water changes and I haven't had an algae issue since. I think the large di-off plus large water changes after, gave my GFO the chance to get caught up. Now any phosphates going in are able to be handled by my GFO.

Fuzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 12:19 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaltwater View Post
my phosphates were at around .5-1 it was to hard to guess the color on the test. i will test again tomorrow after 4 days on phosguard.
And thats the reason for the algae.. Plain and simple..
Reduce that to low levels and the algae should go away in time..

I'd guess the cause for the phosphate issue was overfeeding.. (as thats usually what it is)

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:26 PM   #13
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
And thats the reason for the algae.. Plain and simple..
Reduce that to low levels and the algae should go away in time..

I'd guess the cause for the phosphate issue was overfeeding.. (as thats usually what it is)
i do not overfeed, well i did a while back. but i don't do that anymore.

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:31 PM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaltwater View Post
i do not overfeed, well i did a while back. but i don't do that anymore.
Define a while back?...
But sounds like a former smoker saying they can't have lung cancer because they stopped a while back... The damage was already done..
Now you are simply recovering from it..

But its either that or your water or salt mix is the other phosphate source..

Food/water/salt mix there is no other way phosphate can enter the system.. (well.. or added phosphate laden rock)

Unread 05/25/2017, 03:23 PM   #15
BANANAHANDS
Registered Member

After you find and remedy the cause, get some turbo snails. My 50g cube was covered in hair algae (ro/di filters were overdue for changing), changed the filters and did several large water changes. Threw in 5 large turbo snails and it was gone in a couple of weeks.

BANANAHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 10:17 PM   #16
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzms View Post
That has not been my experience with the product. Are you sure you had true GHA?

HERE is a thread here on RC about its success.

Unread 05/25/2017, 10:21 PM   #17
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Food/water/salt mix there is no other way phosphate can enter the system.. (well.. or added phosphate laden rock)
Once you control one or more of these sources, then you can over come your GHA issue. I truly believe in an ATS to help this for long term use. I have been on mine for over 3 years after my GHA issue, and have not seen a return of it, with no change in feeding, salt, ro, etc.

Unread 05/26/2017, 09:26 PM   #18
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
Once you control one or more of these sources, then you can over come your GHA issue. I truly believe in an ATS to help this for long term use. I have been on mine for over 3 years after my GHA issue, and have not seen a return of it, with no change in feeding, salt, ro, etc.
another thing my skimmer needed to be cleaned and wasnt skimming for months after fixing skimmer, adding another skimmer, removing gha and adding purigen and phosguard the problem is taken care of. gha is on its way out.

Unread 05/27/2017, 06:02 AM   #19
nicholasb
Registered Member

Maybe the hair algae was living off undetectable phosphates built up in the rocks. Once the hair algae has sucked all the phosphate out of the rocks, it will die. If you have little hair algae on the scrubber, you clearly have low phosphate levels, or maybe something else has changed like the levels of iron in your tank, preventing the algae growing .

nicholasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 06:10 AM   #20
nicholasb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzms View Post
same.

If you can get phosphate levels down to below 0.03 ppm, the growth rate of the algae will slow right down. Hair algae needs testable phosphates to survive.

Phos may read zero, but still have thriving GHA. This is because phosphates are bound up in the living GHA. As some naturally dies that Phosphate will go back into the water to be taken up by growing GHA and by your GFO. Meaning GFO could be a long wait.

I did algaefix, manual removal, tons of GFO for about a year and was making no noticeable impact. 1 dose of Fluconazole and a 3 week wait, followed by 2 large water changes and I haven't had an algae issue since. I think the large di-off plus large water changes after, gave my GFO the chance to get caught up. Now any phosphates going in are able to be handled by my GFO.

Unread 05/27/2017, 06:13 AM   #21
nicholasb
Registered Member

What test kit are you using. Salifert is difficult to read at low levels, but is a good test kit . You need to do a double test, and compare with a sample of tank water.

Unread 05/27/2017, 09:00 PM   #22
Lsufan
Registered Member

I know it has been a few days but be careful not to lower po4 to fast & strip the water column if u have sps. Over the year that u let the tank go the po4 continued to build up. They have probably been high for a while now & u don't want to shock the corals by stripping the po4 to fast

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 03:11 PM   #23
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

it tested around 1.0 and after 4 days with a half a cup of rinsed phosguard its down to .25. will test again soon and add a smaller amount of phosguard if i have too. i don't plan on doing it fast. my sps are always my main concern.

Unread 05/28/2017, 03:12 PM   #24
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I know it has been a few days but be careful not to lower po4 to fast & strip the water column if u have sps. Over the year that u let the tank go the po4 continued to build up. They have probably been high for a while now & u don't want to shock the corals by stripping the po4 to fast
it tested around 1.0 and after 4 days with a half a cup of rinsed phosguard its down to .25. will test again soon and add a smaller amount of phosguard if i have too. i don't plan on doing it fast. my sps are always my main concern.

Unread 06/05/2017, 04:46 AM   #25
SuperSaltwater
Registered Member

staying at .25 so i bought phosphate rx and it dropped fast. thanks everyone.

Tags
gha, green hair algae