Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2017, 12:28 PM   #1
CoralFrida
Registered Member

Question Full Automation: How man dosing pumps

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the salt water tank world and I want to start a fully automated system. How many dosing pumps do I need? Here is my list so far, am I missing anything or is something not needed as a programmed dose. This is based on the Red Sea Mixed Reef recipe.

1. Automatic water changes: clean water source and empty vessel
2. Calcium
2. Magnesium
4. KH/Alkalinity
5. NO3:PO4
6. Trace elements
7. Reef Energy A
8. Reef Energy B

Thanks!

CoralFrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 12:42 PM   #2
ktownhero
Registered Member

The only thing "needed" are the first 4, and those should really be 3 because I believe Mag gets mixed in with one of the other two.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 01:37 PM   #3
jayball
Registered Member

You'll need 2 heads for the auto water change. 6, 7, and 8 can go. 5 is really not needed, especially in the beginning.

The CA, ALK, and MG should be on 3 pumps so you can use generic stuff instead of expensive premix but if I were to start over I would have bit the bullet early on and gone with a CA reactor instead of dosing salts and Kalk.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 01:39 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

You don't want to dose Nitrates or Phosphates. They need to be removed.

I dose vinegar only. Calcium reactor for Alk and calcium, I have pumps for auto water change and auto top off. I have an Apex controller to monitor all of them and turn on/off based on my established parameters. Trace elements com from water changes and help with what Ree Energy A & B are? Probably not needed and some sort of snake oil. There is a lot of it, sadly, in this industry. Probably more than in arthritis cures.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 01:16 AM   #5
bxbe888
Registered Member

how big is your tank?

bxbe888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 03:39 AM   #6
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Not 100% true. After reading multiple threads on the benefits of dosing nitrate I just started doing this. Starting my dose off at 5ml per day of solution which gives the tank .50ppm of NO3. Will likely have to increase it somewhat and I was thinking an extra doser would not hurt for this purpose.

So then, 5 would be the most probable. IMO dosing pumps are usually too low flow for ATO use so I rule that use out.
Alk
Cal
Mag
Carbon(vodka, vinegar, sugar)
NO3

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 09:03 AM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbe888 View Post
how big is your tank?
My tank is a 180.

For ATO I use a Cole Parmer Masterflex pump and I also have one for my Calcium reactor.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 05/24/2017, 07:49 PM   #8
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:

I dose vinegar only. Calcium reactor for Alk and calcium, I have pumps for auto water change and auto top off. I have an Apex controller to monitor all of them and turn on/off based on my established parameters. Trace elements com from water changes and help with what Ree Energy A & B are? Probably not needed and some sort of snake oil. There is a lot of it, sadly, in this industry. Probably more than in arthritis cures.

That is just the name of red sea's overpriced vinegar/ethanol carbon dosing mix. Not the actual nutrients.

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:37 AM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
That is just the name of red sea's overpriced vinegar/ethanol carbon dosing mix. Not the actual nutrients.
Not per the Redsea site. Amino acids and such - snake oil. http://www.redseafish.com/coral-nutr...-complite-kit/

Unread 05/26/2017, 02:31 PM   #10
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Not per the Redsea site. Amino acids and such - snake oil. http://www.redseafish.com/coral-nutr...-complite-kit/

I thought you were talking about the NO3PO4-x.

Unread 05/26/2017, 02:32 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Reef Energy A & B

Unread 05/27/2017, 03:22 PM   #12
bxbe888
Registered Member

I dose E.S.V. B-Ionic 2-Part, which works perfectly

bxbe888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 04:07 PM   #13
Stolireef
Registered Member

It would take quite a bit of convincing to get me to dose either nitrates or phosphates. Just feed more frequently. Maybe turn off the skimmer for a few hours per day.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 06:04 AM   #14
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
It would take quite a bit of convincing to get me to dose either nitrates or phosphates. Just feed more frequently. Maybe turn off the skimmer for a few hours per day.
I really ramped up my feeding in both quantity and frequency to no avail. It's been less than a week so far but what I see is encouraging.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing, dosing pump, dosing setup