Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Recty
Registered Member

Northern Lights up in Alaska

I did a big Exchange upgrade at work on Friday the 21st, and when I was driving home in the wee hours of the morning of the 22nd, the aurora borealis were so bright I could see them over my truck's headlights and the huge street lights for the highway overpass I turned off on.

Long story short, I ran inside and grabbed my 70D with the stock kit lens and tried to get some pictures. My battery was warning that it was going to die, so I knew I had just a couple pictures before it gave up. I ended up getting about 10 photos before it was out of juice.

I handheld all of these at 1 second, just against my chest and hoping they would turn out. You can see the stars in some of them are pretty blurred and moved around, so I failed a little more in some than others

All taken at f/3.5, 1 second, ISO6400, 18mm.

I like this one below, it contains the Big Dipper

This one reminds me of a seahorse!

Hope you enjoyed them!

Last edited by Recty; 08/30/2017 at 07:13 PM.
Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 09:43 PM   #2
chulerico
Registered Member

nice, thanks for the pics

Sam

chulerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 09:50 PM   #3
s_kelley
Registered Member

So awesome looking! Hoping to one day make the trip to see this in person, thanks for sharing

s_kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 11:21 PM   #4
IPT
Registered Member

It was a spectacular night but we had some clouds here in Anchorage. This one could use some noise reduction but I edited and posted it in a pretty hasty manner so never really cleaned it up.

Below is a link to a timelapse I was able to throw together. It's a bit choppy because my intention was not shooting a time lapse but it happened that I had enough frames to throw it together. Life has been busy so I am not on RC too much anymore, but I do post a bunch on our office FB page. Always looking for more likes so feel free to Like us! There is also a link to my blog page where I post a bunch of images too but I haven't updated that one in a while. In the archives are some pretty sick underwater images from Fiji a few years back!

https://www.facebook.com/Integrative...1886267932043/

Last edited by IPT; 05/23/2017 at 11:30 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 03:08 PM   #5
York1
Registered Member

Very cool pictures. I hope to see that in person one day

York1 is offline   Reply With Quote