Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2019, 01:14 AM   #1
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My new A. bicinctus

Found some wild Amphiprion bicinctus at a local store today and couldn't resist. They came in a shipment from Djibouti.

The store had the big and the small paired up but I decided to add the single one they had and make it a trio.

In the bucket

In the QT:

Now I just need to figure out how to provide the flow so that their streamers don't go away...
And I need to figure out which anemone I give them...

BTW: Of the other two they had put together as a pair the larger one had a white tail, something I could not find on images of A. bicinctus. I'm now wondering if that could have been an A. bicinctus x A. omanensis or an A. bicinctus x A. allardi hybrid.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 03/24/2019 at 01:27 AM.
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 02:27 AM   #2
hottuna
Registered Member

my fav's by far ..I have 3 pairs currently...I have mine in gigantea anemone's..they love mag's also..or bubble tips/rose

Unread 03/24/2019, 05:55 AM   #3
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

very nice stuff............Djibouti fishes are slight diferent from Red Sea.........

they have more compressed body..........and the color are brighter........specially yellow.........very dense and deep...............

nice fishes.........

Yuri Barros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 05:12 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Barros View Post
very nice stuff............Djibouti fishes are slight diferent from Red Sea.........

they have more compressed body..........and the color are brighter........specially yellow.........very dense and deep...............

nice fishes.........
Have you ever seen a bicinctus with a white tail?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/24/2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

yes.........some fidhes from Aqba Gulf have transluscent tail...........not pure white......like this......

but at the South.......in Socotra Island have some fishes with more white tail......

Socotra Island seems to have intermediate fishes between (A. bicinctus) and (A. omanensis)........

as you can see........anal and pelvic fin in these fishes are Orange........while in (A. omanensis) are black...........

this Picture is from Luiz Rocha.........from Socotra Island........

Unread 03/25/2019, 12:06 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
but at the South.......in Socotra Island have some fishes with more white tail......

Socotra Island seems to have intermediate fishes between (A. bicinctus) and (A. omanensis)........

as you can see........anal and pelvic fin in these fishes are Orange........while in (A. omanensis) are black...........

I think the one they had was like the top one in this picture, just a little darker.
I really should have taken a picture... well, maybe they still have it next Saturday...

Unread 03/25/2019, 03:41 AM   #7
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

cool.......

but don´t mix your fishes.......when you breed them.......

Djibouti fishes are special...........they are unique......and hard to find......

try to keep the genetic heritage..........

Unread 03/25/2019, 04:10 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
cool.......

but don´t mix your fishes.......when you breed them.......

Djibouti fishes are special...........they are unique......and hard to find......

try to keep the genetic heritage..........
That's why I picked the ones that looked the same and who got along, though they all came from Djibouti (which doesn't necessarily say they were all collected there.)

The one with the white tailfin had been paired with a bicinctus that looked like mine and they were not getting along well.

My 3 are so far getting along very well, no fighting or chasing at all. I hope it stays that way.

BTW, they also had a couple of Regal Angels from there, but to me, they looked no different than the ones from the Maldives or Sumatra.

Unread 03/25/2019, 06:02 AM   #9
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

for me....the fishes from Djibouti have some kind of ancestral link with (Amphiprion chagosensis)...........

from Chagos Banks......through Carlsberg Ridge........until Tadjoura Gulf in Djibouti......

they seems to be smaller than Red Sea (A. bicinctus)..........

also (A. chagosensis) is smaller than (A. bicinctus) from Red Sea.........

below (A. chagosensis) from Pero Banhos.....Chagos.......

Unread 03/25/2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

look this vídeo fom Djibouti.....there´s a fish with whitish tail.......maybe this is similar to what you found......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZFA7_aD4o

Unread 03/25/2019, 07:04 PM   #11
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
look this vídeo fom Djibouti.....there´s a fish with whitish tail.......maybe this is similar to what you found......

Hmmm...checked fish base and wiki, neither show Mertensi as a host for A. Bicintus. Interesting find.

CORRECTION: Fautin Allen list S. Mertensi as a host for A. Bicinctus

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 03/25/2019 at 07:15 PM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:07 PM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:

Yeah, that looks close. Seems to be related to the sex of the fish like with some local variants of clarkii.

Unread 03/25/2019, 10:57 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Hmmm...checked fish base and wiki, neither show Mertensi as a host for A. Bicintus. Interesting find.

CORRECTION: Fautin Allen list S. Mertensi as a host for A. Bicinctus
Not in my edition. There they only list E. quadricolor, H. magnifica, H. crispa, H. aurora, and S gigantea. Possibly because, according to them, S. mertensi isn't found in the Red Sea or the Gulf of Aden.

Unread 03/25/2019, 11:29 PM   #14
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Not in my edition. There they only list E. quadricolor, H. magnifica, H. crispa, H. aurora, and S gigantea. Possibly because, according to them, S. mertensi isn't found in the Red Sea or the Gulf of Aden.
I have both editions of the book. The revised edition (1997) lists S. Mertensi as a host. The previous edition (1992) did not list Mertensi as host anemone for Bicinctus

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 03/25/2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added text
Unread 03/26/2019, 01:49 AM   #15
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I have both editions of the book. The revised edition (1997) lists S. Mertensi as a host. The previous edition (1992) did not list Mertensi as host anemone for Bicinctus
I have the 1992 edition ... guess it's time for an upgrade.

Unread 03/27/2019, 07:49 PM   #16
MarinaP
Registered Member

So nice to see wild clowns once in a blue moon these days.

Unread 03/27/2019, 09:19 PM   #17
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaP View Post
So nice to see wild clowns once in a blue moon these days.
I also have 5 wild pairs of percula, 3 from the Solomons, 1 from Irian Jaya, and one where the store didn't knew where they came from (most likely Solomons as well.)
I really can't stand the freak show you find these days in most stores.
My only tank bred clowns (not counting my wife's darwins) are the latezonatus. They're still tiny but I can already tell that they will have mops faces, at least to some degree. At some point I'm planning to get a wild pair.

The other clowns on my wish list are allardi, chrysogaster, and maybe latifasciatus.
A. allardi is likely the next I'll add because the local store can get them easily.
I could kind of kick myself for not getting the latifasciatus when they had them about 2 years ago, but I just didn't have the space for them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/29/2019, 01:46 AM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Trying flake food...

At first not such a great success, but by now they take it pretty well, just not too much at once.

All 3 also get along well

Unread 03/29/2019, 02:57 AM   #19
hottuna
Registered Member

If anyone is looking for a Wc bicinctus female ,i will have one for sale in the next few days.She is VERY LARGE about 4"and fat and super healthy . Tailfin has fully developed streamer...not clear or white as above , but orange. Problem Is : I live in DE and do not wish to ship...so I will have to find a buyer who lives within a couple hrs and meet half way..This fish is devouring just about anything I throw in the tank...shrimp,clam,scallop.pellets,krill...I'll post a pic/video when I get a chance

Unread 03/29/2019, 04:58 PM   #20
hottuna
Registered Member

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...=5CA0276D&dl=1

Unread 03/29/2019, 05:30 PM   #21
criccio
Premium Member

Wow, she is beautiful, especially her tail.

Unread 03/29/2019, 06:07 PM   #22
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

nice fish........

Unread 03/30/2019, 12:11 AM   #23
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
Nice fish! Why you wanna sell her?

Unread 03/30/2019, 12:48 AM   #24
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The big question to solve now is which anemone to pick for my 3 bicinctus.
These are their natural hosts (I left H. aurora away as it is more of a "nursery anemone" for juveniles than a suitable host for breeding pairs.)

E. quadricolor (I got a small RBTA clone and a tiny green from DD, but those are earmarked for my little latezonatus so I would need to get more and larger ones)
H. magnifica (kind of difficult to find)
H. crispa (I have a tiny one that would need a lot of TLC and some time to grow into a suitable host for these rather large fish)
S. gigantea (kind of hard to get right now and I rather keep those for my percula)
S. mertensii (not sure if I can get one and if, I'd rather keep it for a pair of allardi)

On the other hand, I have a "surplus" of 3 medium sized S. haddoni (a green, a marbled, and a purple) and haddoni are kind of easy to get and "cheap".

Unread 03/30/2019, 01:59 AM   #25
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The big question to solve now is which anemone to pick for my 3 bicinctus.
When I think Bicinctus I think BTA and that’s what I would go with. Their relative ease of care and different color morphs make them hard to pass.
More specifically, I think of Rose BTAs with darker tentacles and oral disc, a morph similar to Sherman Rose BTA. I’ve seen a few diving videos showing Bicinctus clowns living in those types of BTAs and they look fantastic.

Tags
amphiprion bicinctus, red sea clownfish