Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2019, 06:55 AM   #1
hllb
Registered Member

Help keeping biocube 32 temp stable

I just got back into the hobby after a 12 year hiatus (I had a 60g reef for a while and then a 120g FOWLR). I have a lot I need to relearn. I set up a Biocube 32 this weekend and am having a terrible time keeping the temp down. It was running at 84 degrees yesterday. I took out the heater (it was set to 72) and propped the feeding door open a bit overnight and it's down to 80 degrees now (or 82...two thermometers and they're different, awesome). I had the lights on a 12 hour cycle and reduced it to 11 for today to see how it goes (30 minutes sunrise/sunset, and 1 hour moonlight included in that, so full lights for about 10 hrs).

I do not want to remove the top, cut the top, etc. So I'm looking for other options. Propping the lid open isn't an option ongoing either (we have cats). The only inexpensive idea I have right now is to get a clip on fan and point it into the aquarium back through the cord holes. Everything else I can think of would require much more money and more work. I had read reviews on the tank, but didn't see any mentioning this problem. Now that I have it though, I've found it's a pretty common problem.

This is the new biocube with the LED lights and it doesn't have a separate door over the back section like I've seen mentioned on older posts. Any help is greatly appreciated!

hllb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 06:58 AM   #2
hllb
Registered Member

Oh, I should also add that the tank is not in an ideal place, but it's all we had available. It's partially in front of a window. We'll be putting the darker curtains back up this morning so the light won't be adding to the issue. The room temp right now is only about 73/74 degrees.

Unread 08/27/2019, 09:26 PM   #3
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Check out this old post of mine :

Biocube Cooling
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 09:27 PM   #4
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Updated link

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183184945879

Unread 08/28/2019, 05:55 AM   #5
hllb
Registered Member

Interesting, thanks. I’ve gotten it to come down to 79/80 and it held that through the light cycle yesterday. I bought a regular fan that I thought I’d try pointing in those openings but not sure if they’ll get enough flow in there. If not, I can look into fans like you posted. Did you have any issues with those fans and water? Or were those fans made for water use?

Unread 08/28/2019, 06:03 AM   #6
mickeyfish
Registered Member

So I have had this setup running for a bit over a year and no issues. I found these fit directly into the holes in the back and the when on the timer with my lights help hold the temp.