Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Nereaga
Registered Member

ULNS a thing of past??

When I left the hobby 10+ years ago, the hobby was transitioning towards ULNS. Heavy skimming, under feeding, high flow, no sand, weekly water changes. Truth be told, the most successful system I had running was BB, high flow, Low nutrient, and heavy skimming 100g mixed reef.

So is it a thing of the past?

I know it depends on the type of system/reef you are wanting to run. But when I checked out, it was skimmer VS skimmer wars and the start of Mh vs LED lighting debate. I just don’t see a ton posted about it as I remember 🤷*♂️.

Nereaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 05:18 PM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

Lol. I guess people read the good old threads. Good skimmer and high flow are still essential. But people have moved/accepting LED and i have not seen people debating T5xMHxLED for a while.. haha welcome back to reefing!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Not a thing of the past but as you said, more in tune with SPS dominant regimes

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 10:23 PM   #4
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegeh View Post
Lol. I guess people read the good old threads. Good skimmer and high flow are still essential. But people have moved/accepting LED and i have not seen people debating T5xMHxLED for a while.. haha welcome back to reefing!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lack of forum debate is not proof of acceptance.

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 07:12 AM   #5
paal
Registered Member

LED/T5/MH debates are still going on.
LEDs have come a long way the last 10 years, but if you truly want to provide the more challenging corals with the best light possible, a lot of people still swear by the old tech.

ULNS is not really as "hot" as it used to be.
I guess more efficient equipment over the years has lead to easier nutrient export for most reefers. Even to the point that many are now struggling with "too clean" systems: Dinoflagellates -threads are popping up like never before and it seems like people are talking just as much about dosing nutrients as they do about removing them.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 07:48 AM   #6
reefgeezer
Registered Member

The numbers have evolved. 0 is no longer the absolute target. The levels are still low and depend somewhat on what kind of corals are being collected. Personally, my SPS tank does best when I can see just barely positive N & P levels on my test kits (Hanna ULR Phosphate/Salifert Nitrate) while feeding the tank heavily.

IMO, a lot of the problems encountered when maintaining low nutrients is the limitation of organic input or stripping of dissolved organics used to maintain those levels. I think the actual change in the hobby is that we've figured out how to maintain relatively low nutrient levels while not starving the system by limiting organic input.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote