Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2019, 12:05 PM   #1
BlueMoonFox
Registered Member

Baby Oscellaris in the great big ocean

So I’ve got this idea. That’s the sentence that normally starts trouble for me. If got some oscellaris eggs going to hatch. Everything says get a separate tank and put them in there. But what about a breeder net in the fuge? Stay with me here. Move the chaeto to another part of the tank; it’s not too big. Turn off the fuge light and put in a breeder net, the kind with fine mesh and hangs on the side. It helps maintain consistant parameters, avoids ammonia issues, and keeps them safe. If the concern of the net mesh being too large for the Rotifers, a breeder box with filter sock material around it might work for the first few days.

I’m open to questions, comments, or criticism. This is my first rodeo. Clown joke, get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueMoonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 01:45 PM   #2
kl3377
Registered Member

Having successfully raised hundreds of clowns I can not see that working. It would certainly make the process easier. I always had my fry in a concentration of green water so the rotifers would be able to live longer. Also, to deal with fry and rotifers it would be much easier to have a rotifer sieve. They work excellent for water changes and feedings.

kl3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 02:18 PM   #3
BlueMoonFox
Registered Member

Baby Oscellaris in the great big ocean

I see what you’re saying about the sieve. My thought was the fry and rots living in the box wrapped in filter floss. It would maintain a lower flow and keep the rots and maybe a deal of phyto in that area

Unread 01/05/2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Clownfish larvae are far too delicate for such a setup.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 09:02 PM   #5
BlueMoonFox
Registered Member

Too delicate for which aspects? I’m not arguing that you’re wrong, just trying to understand better in order to give the little fishies a chance. Most likely going to do a separate tank, but I’m not sure in what ways it is all that different.

Unread 03/03/2019, 08:20 PM   #6
BlueMoonFox
Registered Member

Ok, so it’s been an adventure and I finally have 9 that made it through the first 5 days. Exhausting work, props to those who do this on a big scale. Now to the next two phases; metamorphosis and grow out. And with that, more questions.

Meta seems pretty straightforward. Get tank clean day 7-8, leave it alone. Do you still feed? Mine are eating pods. Should I keep the water tinted or just strain and add just the pods?

Grow out has me a bit flummoxed. Is there any reason they can’t grow out in the display tank? Too fragile maybe?

I did heed the last sets of advice. I am certainly not thinking I know better than people who have done this before. Looking forward to seeing your ideas!