Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 10:44 AM   #1
marco j
Registered Member

Question Corals in your refugium?

Good morning Reefers,

Random thought for the day. I am converting my 180g display to SPS,LPS, and Zoa only tanks. I have several Kenya’s and assorted leathers that I am going to remove. I also run a 75g DSB refugium with probably higher flow than most suggest.

I wanted to reach out to the community to gauge your recommendations whether it would have a negative impact on my system if I moved my softies there?

ATM pics attached

Thanks for the input!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.7 KB, 95 views)
marco j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 04:26 PM   #2
skiingfast
Registered Member

Interesting idea. Do you grow Macro with the grow light? What will be done with it? Of course if flow is good and you have a light for the leathers it should work fine.

Mainly you are just taking your existing system and moving things around right? So what difference would it make.

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 05:31 PM   #3
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Interesting idea. Do you grow Macro with the grow light? What will be done with it? Of course if flow is good and you have a light for the leathers it should work fine.

Mainly you are just taking your existing system and moving things around right? So what difference would it make.

Basically, I am under the impression that sps always lose the battle between the corals and the last thing I need is a crappy leather to sting my acros or montis.

I just figured in stead of trading it away. Kind like how some people end up with fish in their sumps.

And yes I do have Chaetomorphia in the fuge, it doesn’t tumble though.

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:46 PM   #4
saf1
Registered Member

I've seen Xenia so why not? Not sure how much they will export but they would do something I'm sure.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Sapelo
Registered Member

I spent over a year trying to kill some GSP in my refugium. I am sorry to report that it is still happy and healthy.
I think your plan will work just fine if my experience is any basis.

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon DD, sps, Radion G3 Pros, etc. Too many fish and not enough coral...
Sapelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:06 AM   #6
McPuff
Registered Member

Yes, you can certainly put softies and LPS into your refugium. They will actually help to filter the water as well. Plus, it'll make your refugium more interesting. Please post more pics of your system! Looks pretty cool!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:18 AM   #7
urban_s
Registered Member

I have a few xenia in my fuge. They grow well...almost towell

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 01:00 PM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

The downside will be the turpines released by the soft corals that might adversely affect the stonies. Run lots of carbon to help with that.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 01:14 PM   #9
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapelo View Post
I spent over a year trying to kill some GSP in my refugium. I am sorry to report that it is still happy and healthy.
Want to kill it just give it to me. It just won't grow in my tank. Now after I move everything to my 110 build maybe it will change.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 02:00 PM   #10
urban_s
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Want to kill it just give it to me. It just won't grow in my tank. Now after I move everything to my 110 build maybe it will change.
My GSP wont die...but wont grow any....

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 09:45 PM   #11
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapelo View Post
This is really funny. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Yes, you can certainly put softies and LPS into your refugium. They will actually help to filter the water as well. Plus, it'll make your refugium more interesting. Please post more pics of your system! Looks pretty cool!
Thanks for the compliment. This is my first adventure into salt water and I’ve just now started to have growth. Sometimes I think my system was too clean to grow anything. These aren’t the best shots and it’s sloppy as can be right now. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on how to improve something. Especially if you see something screwed up. Lol

Edit: Having trouble uploading photos of course. Unfortunately only the crappy ones are uploading. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
The downside will be the turpines released by the soft corals that might adversely affect the stonies. Run lots of carbon to help with that.
This is the type of information I am interested in. Does this mean my sps will be at the mercy of my softies? If that’s the case, then I might as well get rid of them or put them in the display.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1EC5D1C6-0A9D-4BFB-BF86-7FE9F8F4B33E.jpg (23.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg B3AAE440-8526-4482-8B57-F5C0604D4FCE.jpg (50.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg BBD504A2-5168-4BEB-9495-6A2415A4FEF0.jpg (40.7 KB, 24 views)
Unread 12/04/2017, 09:56 PM   #12
marco j
Registered Member

Here are some shots of the growth.

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:01 PM   #13
marco j
Registered Member

That last shot of how the Red montis looked less than a year ago.

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:25 PM   #14
marco j
Registered Member

And here’s a before and after of a frag of some hydnophora I picked up on Black Friday at my LFS. Took this current one just this second. Not too bad for only a little over a week and a half.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0892F0EB-087C-4160-99CE-3AFD3738FBEC.jpg (40.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.5 KB, 12 views)
Unread 12/04/2017, 11:12 PM   #15
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I kept zenia and kenya in my fuge at one point. Did just fine and grew well, I managed to keep my LSF stocked with zenia that pulsed nicely until they had to tell me know more zenia on trade in.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 10:52 AM   #16
McPuff
Registered Member

The display looks great. I like the rockwork. Take out that GSP before it gets onto other rocks though! :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 04:13 PM   #17
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
The display looks great. I like the rockwork. Take out that GSP before it gets onto other rocks though! :0)
Thanks. I plan on taking it out eventually. I had already moved that rock because it had already started to attach to the big rock in the tank. I️ had to scrape it off so it wouldn’t spread. And I’ve got a friend coming by tomorrow to pick up all the leathers I’m getting rid of.

Unread 12/07/2017, 10:50 PM   #18
jaking
Registered Member

Interesting idea, never thought about it. You must have some pretty good flow in there!

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:31 PM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I actually run an invert/Fish refugium for animals that are not thriving in the main display. I suppose it's essentially a second display. Currently housing a large gorgonian that is irresistible to my regal angel and a bunch of leathers and frogspawn that are irresistible to my dwarf Angels. Plus a black tang that was on the short end of a zebrasoma beating.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 07:54 AM   #20
marco j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I actually run an invert/Fish refugium for animals that are not thriving in the main display. I suppose it's essentially a second display. Currently housing a large gorgonian that is irresistible to my regal angel and a bunch of leathers and frogspawn that are irresistible to my dwarf Angels. Plus a black tang that was on the short end of a zebrasoma beating.
This is what what I imagined my refugium would become if I continue down this road.

Last night I gave my friend all but three Kenyas and my toadstool which I don’t ever plan on getting rid of. I have a large rock covered in GSP that I will eventually give him as well.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I just figured it wasn’t worth the hassle if I couldn’t enjoy the corals in my display.