Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Timmste
Registered Member

enrichting calciumhydoxide with trace elements

I wondered what trace elements can be added to kalkwasser. E.g. would potassium hydroxide work ? what other chemicals can be mixed in?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Timmste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 07:45 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Some things might remain in solution, but many will not. Potassium hydroxide might work, but it probably would displace the calcium if you go for a saturated solution. It is highly soluble, and calcium hydroxide much less so. Some strontium might work. What elements did you want to add?

Unread 08/15/2019, 01:50 AM   #3
Timmste
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Some things might remain in solution, but many will not. Potassium hydroxide might work, but it probably would displace the calcium if you go for a saturated solution. It is highly soluble, and calcium hydroxide much less so. Some strontium might work. What elements did you want to add?
Well I know many elements are uncompatible with calciumhydroxide, I just wondered what the options are. I moved from sps to softies and a few lps, so I just add a few spoons to my top-off reservoir
I cannot recall which company sold it, but there is a product out there which is calciumhydroxide powder + some trace elements. Potassium and strontium would be a bonus.. apart from that iodide.. maybe?

Unread 08/15/2019, 03:27 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

There's Kalk + 2 by Brightwell, but it's not clear that they actually add anything. Lime comes with some contaminants in any case. You could try adding a bit of strontium supplement to see whether it precipitates, but generally, most reef tanks probably don't need trace element supplements if they get water changes. If anything, many likely get more than are needed.

Unread 08/18/2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Timmste
Registered Member

Quote:
There's Kalk + 2 by Brightwell, but it's not clear that they actually add anything. Lime comes with some contaminants in any case. You could try adding a bit of strontium supplement to see whether it precipitates, but generally, most reef tanks probably don't need trace element supplements if they get water changes. If anything, many likely get more than are needed.
i just checked, it states

Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium (min) 54.20% (542,000 ppm), Strontium (min) 1.00% (10,000 ppm), Magnesium (min) 0.15% (1,500 ppm)
Ingredients
Calcium hydroxide, Strontium hydroxide, Magnesium hydroxide

...I wonder if potassium hydroxide could be added if I would make this myself..

Unread 08/19/2019, 05:36 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Yes, possibly, but the potassium might displace the calcium to some extent, I think, but I can't be sure.

Unread 08/20/2019, 10:55 PM   #7
Timmste
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, possibly, but the potassium might displace the calcium to some extent, I think, but I can't be sure.
I heard the product from brightwell is not usefull for the same reason, so I'll just stick with plain calciumhydroxide and do a waterchange every now and then.

Unread 08/20/2019, 11:10 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

Yes, the magnesium in the Brightwell definitely will precipitate. Some of the strontium might remain in solution.