Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 10:23 PM   #1
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Filtration options for Fluval EVO

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before. I did a search and didn't find an answer, so figured I would ask.

What do people upgrade their filtration to? Or do people not really upgrade the filtration. I'm still new to saltwater, so I'm not sure if its different. In freshwater it seems there is no such thing as too much filtration!

My tank is in my office, so I can't have anything super loud. I have the Eheim 2217s on my 125g and I know how to operate them and feel comfortable with them. I was looking at maybe adding a small canister filter.

I wanted to ask before purchasing anything though. If the current filtration is fine then I'll just leave it as is. All levels look good btw. There are 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp and 1 tuxedo urchin. Thanks!

xsentrixsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 02:49 PM   #2
zamboni200000
Registered Member

I have a media basket in chamber one..... running filter floss, chemipure blue, and purigen.
Chamber 2 - I plugged the hole which improved flow and I made it into a mini refugium with chaeto.
Chamber 3 is my heater and pump.
Tank is about a year old and have never had any green algae not even a spot.

Whatever you do, I highly recommend a media basket like this:

https://intankaquatics.com/fluval-ev...edia-basket-1/

Absolutely no need for a canister filter or any other extra filtration. No skimmer needed either.... just large regular water changes and you'll be good! Good luck!

zamboni200000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 06:12 PM   #3
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni200000 View Post
I have a media basket in chamber one..... running filter floss, chemipure blue, and purigen.
Chamber 2 - I plugged the hole which improved flow and I made it into a mini refugium with chaeto.
Chamber 3 is my heater and pump.
Tank is about a year old and have never had any green algae not even a spot.

Whatever you do, I highly recommend a media basket like this:

https://intankaquatics.com/fluval-ev...edia-basket-1/

Absolutely no need for a canister filter or any other extra filtration. No skimmer needed either.... just large regular water changes and you'll be good! Good luck!

I envy you and your no algae haha. One of the reasons I was thinking of upping my filtration is because of all the algae. Its kind of frustrating since all my water parameters seem good.

Unread 11/10/2018, 05:43 AM   #4
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Your parameters look good because the algae is consuming it and your test results (hope you invested in quality test gear) are only telling you what is left on the plate so to speak. I have also had great success using the center chamber to grow hair algae. Cheato turned out to be a problem keeping it totoally contained within the chamber. Step up your eater changes and reduce into of pollutants. Good luck

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 09:31 AM   #5
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

I have the spec 16 (same as Evo 13 except 2 inches taller) and had spec 5 for years. I didn't upgrade my filter section with media baskets. I did upgrade the return pumps to move more water. In my view, live rock in the display is all you need for the nitrogen cycle. So I view the back chambers for mechanical and chemical filtration. I've found a big chunk of sponge catches lots of particulates and keep the display clear. I also use a skimmer to reduce WC to once a month. And I use carbon and phosphate reducing filter pads that I replace monthly. My filter sponge takes up about half of the space of one of my back chamber. I pull that out every 2 weeks and rinse that out using my bigger tank's salt water. I'm amazed at how much crap is caught by the sponge. When I look at the small piece of sponge used in the above referenced media basket, I just don't think that's enough. Just my 2¢

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 05:36 PM   #6
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachVacationer View Post
I have the spec 16 (same as Evo 13 except 2 inches taller) and had spec 5 for years. I didn't upgrade my filter section with media baskets. I did upgrade the return pumps to move more water. In my view, live rock in the display is all you need for the nitrogen cycle. So I view the back chambers for mechanical and chemical filtration. I've found a big chunk of sponge catches lots of particulates and keep the display clear. I also use a skimmer to reduce WC to once a month. And I use carbon and phosphate reducing filter pads that I replace monthly. My filter sponge takes up about half of the space of one of my back chamber. I pull that out every 2 weeks and rinse that out using my bigger tank's salt water. I'm amazed at how much crap is caught by the sponge. When I look at the small piece of sponge used in the above referenced media basket, I just don't think that's enough. Just my 2¢
What pumps did you upgrade to?

I went to my LFS and they said it was not necessary for what I was running to change filtration unless I really wanted to. I did have an old powerhead though that I installed to help with eliminating any dead spots and hopefully keep things moving better!

Unread 11/13/2018, 09:45 PM   #7
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

I upgraded my return pump to the Aquatop NP-305. It was only $27.

Unread 11/14/2018, 08:53 AM   #8
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachVacationer View Post
I upgraded my return pump to the Aquatop NP-305. It was only $27.
Awesome thanks for the suggestion.

So you just stuffed a sponge/mechanical filtration in chamber 1 where the skimmer is supposedly supposed to go? Did you plug the hole in the bottom middle section of chamber 2 as well? I've seen videos and pics of people doing that online who say it helps increase flow.

Unread 11/15/2018, 12:09 AM   #9
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsentrixsupra View Post
Awesome thanks for the suggestion.

So you just stuffed a sponge/mechanical filtration in chamber 1 where the skimmer is supposedly supposed to go? Did you plug the hole in the bottom middle section of chamber 2 as well? I've seen videos and pics of people doing that online who say it helps increase flow.
My tank has 2 clownfish and probably way too many BTAs plus a decent size leather coral and a tuxedo urchin so I run the Fluval skimmer in chamber 1. I use the stock sponge that came with it in the middle chamber but I removed the little bags of carbon and ceramics. I put a larger bag of carbon underneath this sponge. Since the carbon is where that little hole is, I didn't plug that hole. I actually think that hole is important to circulate water around the carbon. If you plug it, I think that area becomes stagnant and the carbon becomes useless. Worried about circulation? With the upgraded return pump, it's pumping 315 gallons per hour. That's turning over the whole tank like 20 times per hour. That's way more than enough even if it's reduced by that little hole.

If you don't want the skimmer, yeah I would put a sponge in the top half of both chamber 1 and 2. I would put chemical media under the sponges. You won't need a big heater so you can put additional chemical media in the return chamber too.