Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2018, 03:57 PM   #176
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicky41 View Post
Interesting read.

My tank and LR is 15+ years old. And after a couple years of neglect, the algae (turf?) and v-snails are outta control. Today, I had some time and decided to pull the rocks for some manual control - complete failure, each rock had hundreds, if not thousands, of v-snails. The task seemed hopeless and I gave up. Nearly every square inch of rock had a dozen of these things.

I don't have a reef, merely a FOWLR tank. So, it seems a CP treatment is the way to go? Besides pods, limpets and assorted worms; there are no invertebrates in the tank. I was considering nuking everything with bleach. But, I hate to loose all the diversity in the tank. This is old Tonga branch and Tonga shelf - stuff you can't get anymore. If CP will get the algae and the V-snails, why not? I have a wet-dry, so ammonia might not be a big issue. The house is going up for sale in the coming months, so it is either sparkling clean tank or no tank at all. My fish are 10-18 years old, so I hate to tear down and re-home them.

Another thing I thought of: what are all these snails eating? How much particulate matter can 3 fish generate? Like I said, I have thousands of these things. I wonder if these things can't feed on dissolved organic matter. I very seldom see any snot nets.
Those snails are small but worms are usually sizable and could cause a nutrient spike in your system. CP will work but take it slowly. You don't want them to all die off at once. Start with a 10% dose in week 1. Wait another week and add 10% more in week 2 and so on. Pretty soon you will see the vermetids and worms start to die off. Same goes with the algae but not copepods surprisingly. The copepods will be fine.

Unread 10/25/2018, 04:03 PM   #177
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtdrumz View Post
I have Coral Banded shrimp that allowed the vermetid explosion

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I believe you. If coral banded shrimp or crabs were a 100% answer, this thread wouldn't exist. I have read other posts where coral banded shrimp worked so its not a black or white answer either way. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I had my first vermited explosion back in 2012 in another tank. At the time I had high nutrients and low flow and the webs were everywhere. The rocks looked spiky as all get out.

Unread 10/26/2018, 07:01 AM   #178
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

Reef Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Those snails are small but worms are usually sizable and could cause a nutrient spike in your system. CP will work but take it slowly. You don't want them to all die off at once. Start with a 10% dose in week 1. Wait another week and add 10% more in week 2 and so on. Pretty soon you will see the vermetids and worms start to die off. Same goes with the algae but not copepods surprisingly. The copepods will be fine.
Has this been tested to be safe for mixed reef? Where do I buy CP?

Rtdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2018, 07:32 AM   #179
Isayso
Registered Member

Well as soon there is Avibility
I will get the emerald and the banded
For sure

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2018, 08:04 AM   #180
pisanoal
Registered Member

No it is not a reef safe treatment. Do not use CP in a tank with inverts you want to keep alive, coral included.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/26/2018, 10:53 AM   #181
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

No, CP isn't reef safe. This is an advanced option for QT and fish only tanks. Fish only meaning no inverts and no corals.

As an advanced topic and knowing that few actually have experience using it you will want to first research the forums and read through exactly what to do and what not to do. If you are still in your first couple of years maintaining a marine tank, this may not even be a good choice for you. However, with proper knowledge, its one of the best options out there.

Unread 10/27/2018, 06:36 AM   #182
becon776
Registered Member

now for the ?, if doing a reboot, new rock but all hardward will be used again. i am thinking of gettung a reefer 450. so i would have another tank. the question is my poor fish been with us for years. is there any part of the vermetid life cycle that can be dragged along with the fish or shrimp? thru feces, slime coat etc.... snails, clams, conch are obvious.

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 09:37 AM   #183
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
now for the ?, if doing a reboot, new rock but all hardward will be used again. i am thinking of gettung a reefer 450. so i would have another tank. the question is my poor fish been with us for years. is there any part of the vermetid life cycle that can be dragged along with the fish or shrimp? thru feces, slime coat etc.... snails, clams, conch are obvious.
What I would do is...
Have a bucket with freshwater
same PH and temp of the tank then a bucket with methylene Blue and a bucket with regular salt water . This is the procedure that I do when buy fish ...after this process they go in the QT.
Going in the display tank they have just a blue bath

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 10:11 AM   #184
becon776
Registered Member

this is how you do it once and for all

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 11/08/2018, 11:36 AM   #185
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Yeah until you put your first frag in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:05 PM   #186
becon776
Registered Member

well id like to think that ive learned my lesson.... hopefully. it sucks bc i have a couple really unique pieces in the old tank. but am toooooo scared.

plus thats the curing tank which will eventually be quarantine tank. EVERYTHING GET QUARANTINED

Unread 11/14/2018, 12:29 AM   #187
FDAWG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
I’ve got 200 blue leg hermits arriving this week. I’m hoping the hermits will irritate them by interfering their their nets and possibly steal food from them when it gets caught in the net before they are able to reel it in. Also considering a bunch of cleaner shrimp, as I have seen these reach into the mouth of LPS to steal food I’m thinking they may do the same with vermetids.

Urchins may be another good option, even if they don’t eat them directly or on purpose they might damage or irritate the vermetids during their general bulldozing.

Where do you get 200 Blue Legs at?

FDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 03:05 AM   #188
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDAWG View Post
Where do you get 200 Blue Legs at?

KP Aquatics

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Unread 11/14/2018, 08:48 AM   #189
West1
Registered Member

Did not read this whole thread but has anyone used KZ Coral snow or a DIY KZ Coral snow?

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 08:58 AM   #190
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1 View Post
Did not read this whole thread but has anyone used KZ Coral snow or a DIY KZ Coral snow?

I dosed CaCo3 powder daily for a month or two with no effect.

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:30 AM   #191
West1
Registered Member

Quote:
I dosed CaCo3 powder daily for a month or two with no effect.

How many times per week did you dose? Did you notice a reduction of webs?

I am going to try a DIY KZ snow, I need to try something

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:30 AM   #192
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1 View Post
How many times per week did you dose? Did you notice a reduction of webs?

I am going to try a DIY KZ snow, I need to try something

Daily, no effect

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:50 AM   #193
West1
Registered Member

Quote:
Daily, no effect

we need a cure to this plague

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:52 AM   #194
pisanoal
Registered Member

I dont think coral snow itself will kill them. What i am hoping is it will reduce or stop their spread. It is bound to reduce their food source.

Unread 11/14/2018, 10:04 AM   #195
McPuff
Registered Member

Ok, here is something... or maybe nothing...

I recently introduced 3 fish into my DT. Prior to that I was feeding them a variety of foods soaked in metronidazole or kanaplex... this was about a 12 day process. Because I didn't want to prepare more than one batch of food, I would medicate everyone's food. The DT got medication as well... couldn't hurt to treat for internal parasites even though they are all clean.

Anyway, since I have completed this set of treatments I noticed far fewer webs, especially on the smaller forms. The larger ones are still there but the webs also seem to be reduced. Not sure if this is real or imagined but it seems tangible to me.

I'm planning to gauge out some of the larger ones with a chisel as well... let the fish eat their ground up bodies. That is always fun. Anyway, we'll see if this continues to progress in the positive direction.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 10:08 AM   #196
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Ok, here is something... or maybe nothing...

I recently introduced 3 fish into my DT. Prior to that I was feeding them a variety of foods soaked in metronidazole or kanaplex... this was about a 12 day process. Because I didn't want to prepare more than one batch of food, I would medicate everyone's food. The DT got medication as well... couldn't hurt to treat for internal parasites even though they are all clean.

Anyway, since I have completed this set of treatments I noticed far fewer webs, especially on the smaller forms. The larger ones are still there but the webs also seem to be reduced. Not sure if this is real or imagined but it seems tangible to me.

I'm planning to gauge out some of the larger ones with a chisel as well... let the fish eat their ground up bodies. That is always fun. Anyway, we'll see if this continues to progress in the positive direction.
I fed focus/metro for a couple of months with no change. I dont really see that many webs normally though, although I have plenty of live v snails. Never tried kanaplex in the dt food though. I did use API General cure for a couple weeks too.

For what its worth, they dont seem to be proliferating in my new system yet.

Unread 11/21/2018, 06:49 PM   #197
ABzReef
Registered Member

Anyone got any pictures,?

ABzReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 06:27 AM   #198
becon776
Registered Member

i am currently in planning phase of a "reboot" so scqred of any cross contamintation.
my plan is to empty my tank, move the fish/shrimp to a tank i have my dry rock cycling in, i am assuming these buggers cant be carried in on. get all my rock out. sand out. snails, conches, crabs OUT. refill tank with hot tap water possibLY some bleach or vinegar over fill sump let equipment run overnight.

get all equipment out clean with 50/50 vinegar and water.

move in new tank, hooked up fill with hot tap let run. drain. set up tank.

i have one torch that is my love. its a local specialty and lfs sells the torch for 260$ per head. i wish so bad there was a way to treat the torch for veremtids that wouldnt kill the corals. of course there is detailed manual removal. anything else?? i would love to be able to keep this coral.

one last note over the last year i have kinda given up on tank and jist let nature take its course. i now have a DISCOSOMA FOREST hydroids also popped up. HOWEVER, the vermetids are problably 10% of their previous plague proportions. i think they were just smothered right out.

Unread 11/22/2018, 07:13 AM   #199
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Careful with hot tap water, I’ve cracked a tank filling it with hot tap water, luckily it was just a 10g QT.

Unread 11/25/2018, 06:10 AM   #200
becon776
Registered Member

good to know... ill err on the side of warm