Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2014, 02:44 PM   #1
moriarty
Registered Member

10' Pond Build

I have been planning to do this for some time, and my schedule has finally allowed me to start getting things going.

I have to preface this thread by saying that this is definitely not a cheap/easy means for having a relatively large system. My reason for going with a pond is that I really enjoy the top down viewing perspective. I looked at a lot of different options, and decided on a 10' round intex metal frame pool with an additional 45 mil epdm pond liner.

I plan on doing the insulation this weekend, but wanted to set the pool up first so that I could get an idea of how it will look in the space that I intend for it to go.

I'll update with more pics as I go along.

Thanks for looking!

moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 02:45 PM   #2
humaguy
Premium Member

love it....good luck!

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 03:11 PM   #3
krj-1168
Registered Member

What are you planning to put in the pond?

Also approximate what is it's volume (how many gallons)?

Last edited by krj-1168; 08/07/2014 at 03:21 PM.
krj-1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 05:03 PM   #4
moriarty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krj-1168 View Post
What are you planning to put in the pond?

Also approximate what is it's volume (how many gallons)?

The volume of the pool filled to about 6" from the top is roughly 1200 gallons. To start with, I'm going to plumb in a 150 gallon sump, and a 50 gallon container for equipment such as the skimmer. This will be about 1400 gallons in total. I left lots of space to add additional tubs as needed.

As for what I plan to put in, I currently have a juvie Queen Angel (3"), Maculosus Angel (5"), Aussie Harlequin Tusk, and a pair of Green Bird Wrasse which I'm sure will appreciate the extra space! I would eventually like to attempt keeping some of the larger angel species in pairs, and have been spending a good amount of time searching the forums looking at other RC member's experiences in doing so.

Unread 08/07/2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Following along. How do you plan on accessing something in the middle of that 10ft pond?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 08:25 PM   #6
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Following along. How do you plan on accessing something in the middle of that 10ft pond?
I would assume that he would walk out to the middle?

Looking forward to watching this progress. Good luck!

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 08:45 PM   #7
SPotter
Registered Member

im in! looks awesome!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 10:38 PM   #8
HPark
Registered Member

Funny - one of my current tanks is pretty shallow at 10" and even though I hated it at first, I've really grown to like the top-down view. Best of luck on this project - can't wait to see it progress.

Unread 08/08/2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

You'll like that pool a lot. I have a 1200 gallon Intex for holding sharks at my place - but with PVC instead of the metal frame. Those liners are tough.
For a cost effective biological set up, I'd suggest a large Rubbermaid trash can full of bioballs on a platform next to the edge. You can let it gravity feed back into the pool. It will also be a great way to provide a de-gas/off-gas area without the need to have the surface moving so much that you can't see down into the display area.

Unread 08/08/2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegogut View Post
I would assume that he would walk out to the middle?

Looking forward to watching this progress. Good luck!
Thanks captain obvious. I meant without putting swim trunks on everytime

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 08/08/2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Cu455
Moved On

Quote:
Thanks captain obvious. I meant without putting swim trunks on everytime
I didnt think it was obvious. I would have doggie paddled out there. He can also wear a wetsuit insted of the trunks.

The pool looks good. The window there is pretty cool. If humidity builds up you can throw an exust fan in the window.

Cu455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Cu455
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodiver View Post
You'll like that pool a lot. I have a 1200 gallon Intex for holding sharks at my place - but with PVC instead of the metal frame. Those liners are tough.
For a cost effective biological set up, I'd suggest a large Rubbermaid trash can full of bioballs on a platform next to the edge. You can let it gravity feed back into the pool. It will also be a great way to provide a de-gas/off-gas area without the need to have the surface moving so much that you can't see down into the display area.
Was it stocked with PVC or did you switch the metal out?

Cu455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 09:22 AM   #13
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cu455 View Post
I didnt think it was obvious. I would have doggie paddled out there. He can also wear a wetsuit insted of the trunks.

The pool looks good. The window there is pretty cool. If humidity builds up you can throw an exust fan in the window.
I meant that I personally don't even like to stick my arm in my tank if I don't have to. With a pool as your tank putting on a wetsuit or trunks or whatever to get into the pool anytime you need to get something off the bottom/middle will become a huge PITA

Unread 08/08/2014, 09:36 AM   #14
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

Quote:
I didnt think it was obvious. I would have doggie paddled out there. He can also wear a wetsuit insted of the trunks....
As per my sig? Hahaha

Quote:
Was it stocked with PVC or did you switch the metal out?
I swapped it. Some of their pools have the PVC option for bracing.

Quote:
I meant that I personally don't even like to stick my arm in my tank if I don't have to. With a pool as your tank putting on a wetsuit or trunks or whatever to get into the pool anytime you need to get something off the bottom/middle will become a huge PITA
The trick is to make it so you don't need to go to the middle often...if ever. Once this type of pool is up and running, there shouldn't be a need to access the middle that often. Maybe once or twice a month - if even that much.

Unread 08/08/2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
As per my sig? Hahaha
The trick is to make it so you don't need to go to the middle often...if ever. Once this type of pool is up and running, there shouldn't be a need to access the middle that often. Maybe once or twice a month - if even that much.
Good points, I guess if you setup something that's 10ft across you sign up for getting into it. I was thinking cat walk...

Unread 08/08/2014, 12:01 PM   #16
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Good points, I guess if you setup something that's 10ft across you sign up for getting into it. I was thinking cat walk...
Or maybe one of those foldable ladders if they are big enough for that.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 03:23 PM   #17
moriarty
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha! I actually have a pair of waders that I'm going to re-purpose for reaching the middle if/when I have to. Going to try to set it up so that this happens as infrequently as possible!

Unread 08/08/2014, 03:36 PM   #18
moriarty
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes sir! Doing exactly that!

Unread 08/08/2014, 04:11 PM   #19
moriarty
Registered Member

I got the insulation and liner installed today. Was going to do it this weekend but I managed to finish what I needed to at work, and was able to start my weekend early.

First I put in a layer of 1/4" foam board underneath the pool. I had originally planned to go with something a little thicker, but thought that the pool might not sit right if I had done so. I'm going to trim the excess board away once the pool is filled.

The next step was to insulate the walls with 6" thick fiberglass insulation. I'm sure this will be compacted down to next to nothing once the pond is filled. Because the underlaying foam board is so thin, I went ahead and put a layer on the bottom as well. (Once the liner is in place, it should be water tight).

Finally the liner. 45 mil liners are heavy (this particular one is 110 lbs), so I had a buddy help out as not to just drag the pool around trying to do it myself. We got the liner centered in the pool as best we could. I am going to play around with where I want the creases to be as I fill it up.

Here's a pic of the 150 and 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks which will be the sump/refugium, and where the skimmer and other equipment will go. My next step is going to build the stands, and get them in place and plumbed.

I probably won't have any major updates over the next couple weeks as I promised my wife that I would get to a couple other projects around the house first. She's been great about my little basement project, so I'm more than happy to oblige!

Unread 08/08/2014, 04:26 PM   #20
moriarty
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, that window worked out really well. If the dehumidifiers don't do the trick, an exhaust fan will be the way to go. Plus I have the added benefit of natural sunlight!

Unread 08/29/2014, 08:23 AM   #21
moriarty
Registered Member

Made a little progress. I decided to fill the pool with FW before placing any equipment to be sure that the size/shape didn't change once filled. Because of the fiberglass insulation, I had a lot of wrinkles at the bottom as the weight of the water compacted the insulation creating air pockets beneath the liner. I was able to sort this out with a rolling pin once the pool filled to about 5" and the water pressure was enough to keep it flat.

I also built a stand for the main (150g) sump using 2X4's, concrete blocks, and rigid insulation that I had left over from underneath the pool. Next step is to drill the holes for 2" bulkheads which will be my return.

I plan on adding 800 lbs of aragonite sand (fine). Any thoughts on whether I should drain the pool and add the sand first, or add it to a filled pool and leave the equipment off for a few days until it clears up a litte? I'm not quite to this step yet, just trying to plan ahead...

Unread 08/29/2014, 08:37 AM   #22
caribfan
Registered Member

I love this build! Thanks for the pictures and updates.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2014, 09:03 AM   #23
anbosu
Registered Member

I don't know why you couldn't add it while it's full of water - it might be a little messier but it's going to cloud up regardless.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2014, 09:06 AM   #24
moriarty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
I love this build! Thanks for the pictures and updates.
Thanks! Has been a fun project so far! I'll definitely keep posting updates!

Unread 08/29/2014, 09:12 AM   #25
Butchhe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
I plan on adding 800 lbs of aragonite sand (fine). Any thoughts on whether I should drain the pool and add the sand first, or add it to a filled pool and leave the equipment off for a few days until it clears up a litte? I'm not quite to this step yet, just trying to plan ahead...
It depends on your situation. Are you going to use FW or RO once its ready for the salt? When do you plan on mixing the salt? Has the sand been rinsed? If the sand hasn't been rinsed, it will turn everything milky white. If using the FW for the initial setup, I would mix the salt in the water first getting it to the right salinity/temp. In the meantime, I would be rinsing the sand to minimize the white chalky mess that most un-rinsed sand leave behind. Once the
temp/salinity is spot on, then I would add the sand.