Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2018, 09:21 AM   #1101
FarmerTy
Registered Member

My Subzero Frostbite Clowns spawning amongst the Colorado sunburst.

https://youtu.be/Udbo90HHup4

FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 10:54 AM   #1102
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTy View Post
Hmmm... Something seems wrong here. I just tested my alk with a Hanna meter right beside my never been turned on Alkatronic. #getonitdude #openupthemanual

Can't see if there is a reading on the Alkatronic, but if you have any issues, reach out to Eric at Alkatronic on Facebook he is very responsive. I've had my unit since they were first released and can't say enough about how much I love the unit and how great the customer support has been.

I use Salifert to test my Alk against the Alkatronic and it has always been spot on. To the point I rarely test with Salifort any more. (I gave up on the Hanna over a year ago. The Salifert is just as easy and less prone to error.)

Unread 06/24/2018, 11:01 AM   #1103
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Can't see if there is a reading on the Alkatronic, but if you have any issues, reach out to Eric at Alkatronic on Facebook he is very responsive. I've had my unit since they were first released and can't say enough about how much I love the unit and how great the customer support has been.

I use Salifert to test my Alk against the Alkatronic and it has always been spot on. To the point I rarely test with Salifort any more. (I gave up on the Hanna over a year ago. The Salifert is just as easy and less prone to error.)
Thanks Acesq! The unit hasn't been setup yet sadly, I'm a slacker. I'm still trying to decide were to mount it as I have several options. I have an open frag tank plumbed into the main display in my fish room and a sump under the tank.

I'd imagine access is important as the need for consistent calibration is vital as well as a place to store a waste water bucket.

I almost thought about tying it into the RO waste line with a check valve and having it just pump the wastewater outside since my RO waste line is already run to the exterior but then I had concerns over the toxicity of the reagent. If it's just HCl, no worries but if there are other chemicals I need to consider, then maybe not. Good question actually, how are you disposing of your waste water?

Unread 06/24/2018, 11:05 AM   #1104
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
As if Colorado Sunburst Anemones aren't cool enough, one of my splits turned out as a half and half... Half red... Half orange.

I hope it'll stay this way long-term!

We saw that with the Reefwise Lemondrop too right? Seems like when they split, their initial new tentacle growth is a slightly different color. Kind of like how some acros have different colored tips where it's actively growing.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 12:33 PM   #1105
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Acesq! The unit hasn't been setup yet sadly, I'm a slacker. I'm still trying to decide were to mount it as I have several options. I have an open frag tank plumbed into the main display in my fish room and a sump under the tank.

I'd imagine access is important as the need for consistent calibration is vital as well as a place to store a waste water bucket.

I almost thought about tying it into the RO waste line with a check valve and having it just pump the wastewater outside since my RO waste line is already run to the exterior but then I had concerns over the toxicity of the reagent. If it's just HCl, no worries but if there are other chemicals I need to consider, then maybe not. Good question actually, how are you disposing of your waste water?

You’re right about finding a spot that allows easy access so you can calibrate the pumps every two weeks. It’s a quick and simple process but you do have to get the unit open and place the graduated cylinder next to it below it. Git ‘er done!!

I hooked up waste line to the waste line for my auto water change system that feeds to a French drain outside. I thought about using the ro waste, they are right next to each other and feed to the same location, but I figured that since the ro waste line pressure is much higher that the Stenner pump I use for water changes, I didn’t want to have to try to deal with any back pressure issues. Plus, I rarely do water changes any more. I wouldn’t worry about the Acid used for titration, it’s such a small volume per test.

Unread 06/24/2018, 12:49 PM   #1106
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
You’re right about finding a spot that allows easy access so you can calibrate the pumps every two weeks. It’s a quick and simple process but you do have to get the unit open and place the graduated cylinder next to it below it. Git ‘er done!!

I hooked up waste line to the waste line for my auto water change system that feeds to a French drain outside. I thought about using the ro waste, they are right next to each other and feed to the same location, but I figured that since the ro waste line pressure is much higher that the Stenner pump I use for water changes, I didn’t want to have to try to deal with any back pressure issues. Plus, I rarely do water changes any more. I wouldn’t worry about the Acid used for titration, it’s such a small volume per test.
Thanks for the tips and thoughts! I think I have a good idea of where I want to mount it now!

Unread 06/24/2018, 04:06 PM   #1107
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Reef dad of the year... Water in the inflatable was a bit cold... 500 W Finnex Titanium heater to the rescue.

Unread 06/24/2018, 07:16 PM   #1108
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I'm surprised it didn't melt through the plastic

Unread 06/24/2018, 07:20 PM   #1109
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
I'm surprised it didn't melt through the plastic
It has a guard and was sitting on top of the suction cups. Not my first rodeo... Well... Actually yes it was but I thought it out a bit before executing.

Unread 06/25/2018, 04:51 AM   #1110
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
It has a guard and was sitting on top of the suction cups. Not my first rodeo... Well... Actually yes it was but I thought it out a bit before executing.

Secondly, when it's 100 degrees outside I'm surprised you had to resort to a heater. Just leave the pool in my car 2 minutes and it'll be a balmy 97 degrees

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:24 AM   #1111
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Secondly, when it's 100 degrees outside I'm surprised you had to resort to a heater. Just leave the pool in my car 2 minutes and it'll be a balmy 97 degrees
Yeah, straight from the hose was not the best idea. Should have let it sit for about an hour and it would have been all good!

Unread 06/26/2018, 10:31 AM   #1112
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Not too shabby for the first run.

Unread 06/26/2018, 10:37 PM   #1113
FarmerTy
Registered Member

We've been spotted!

Unread 06/28/2018, 09:31 AM   #1114
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Some colony pics as my color is starting to recover very nicely from the 84 TDS top off water debacle a couple months ago.

Unnamed - its hard to see in pics but there are even more colors on this coral than green and red.

FT Blue Lemonade -nice shimmery Pearlberry like color on growing tips and has nice blue polyps that are getting bluer again by the day.

Unnamed - hard to see in pics too but kind of getting a metallic pink/purple color with green polyps (when the angels let it polyp out at least)

CR Electric Miyagi - sooo bright!

AquaSD Rainbow mille - classic... Looks good in any condition

Vivid Confetti getting a nice pink overall and almost a reddish color on the base

FT purple efflo - can't beat the efflo growth form, so unique.. Add to it a purple base and green polyps... Got ourselves a winner!

CC Heaven and Hell - often debated piece... As the original vendor pic was crazy... And maybe a hair oversaturated... And everyone has been trying to chase that look since. I don't think its attainable but what it is currently is still pretty nice to me. Better if my angels would allow the polyps to dance in the current but that might have to wait until it gets larger and has more branches to keep those angels at bay.

Unread 06/28/2018, 11:18 AM   #1115
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Oh good. For a while there I was starting to think this thread should change its name to FarmerTys bubble tips Good to see the real goods again

Unread 06/28/2018, 11:31 AM   #1116
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh good. For a while there I was starting to think this thread should change its name to FarmerTys bubble tips Good to see the real goods again
I'm an anemone sellout... I know! Shame shame shame!

Unread 06/28/2018, 12:57 PM   #1117
Gig 'em
Registered Member

You can have your BTA fling, just don't forget your roots man!

Unread 06/28/2018, 10:56 PM   #1118
FarmerTy
Registered Member

More pics, mostly frags.

OG Strawberry Shortcake

Z's Blue Floyd

Z's Blueberry Wine

Jason Fox Firedragon

ORA Pearlberry

SunnyX Sunset Mille

Red and orange phase CSB

RCA Baton Rouge

Atlantic Aquarium Chameleon

Unread 06/29/2018, 07:22 AM   #1119
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Yeaaaaah, that's the stuff!

Unread 06/29/2018, 07:28 AM   #1120
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeaaaaah, that's the stuff!
The colored sticks! I'm back!

Unread 06/29/2018, 07:32 AM   #1121
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Finallllyy

Unread 06/29/2018, 11:39 AM   #1122
FarmerTy
Registered Member

#bluemymind

Unread 06/29/2018, 12:13 PM   #1123
Jndragon79
Registered Member

So nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jndragon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 12:20 PM   #1124
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jndragon79 View Post
So nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
That's just actinic magic Justin! But I'll take the compliment.

Unread 06/29/2018, 12:36 PM   #1125
jhammond
Registered Member

Quote:
Some colony pics as my color is starting to recover very nicely from the 84 TDS top off water debacle a couple months ago.

Unnamed - its hard to see in pics but there are even more colors on this coral than green and red.

FT Blue Lemonade -nice shimmery Pearlberry like color on growing tips and has nice blue polyps that are getting bluer again by the day.

Unnamed - hard to see in pics too but kind of getting a metallic pink/purple color with green polyps (when the angels let it polyp out at least)

CR Electric Miyagi - sooo bright!

AquaSD Rainbow mille - classic... Looks good in any condition

Vivid Confetti getting a nice pink overall and almost a reddish color on the base

FT purple efflo - can't beat the efflo growth form, so unique.. Add to it a purple base and green polyps... Got ourselves a winner!

CC Heaven and Hell - often debated piece... As the original vendor pic was crazy... And maybe a hair oversaturated... And everyone has been trying to chase that look since. I don't think its attainable but what it is currently is still pretty nice to me. Better if my angels would allow the polyps to dance in the current but that might have to wait until it gets larger and has more branches to keep those angels at bay.
At what Par level do you keep your "CR Electric Miyagi" at? I have the same frag which has really grown, but I'm not getting the same vivid coloration as you. Mine is at around 270 par. Assuming your using a blue water filter when taking pics? Any post processing in saturation levels with your photos?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jhammond is offline   Reply With Quote