Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2011, 04:51 PM   #51
pmrossetti
Registered Member

so if you have a 6' long tank, you have to hang 3 units? 6 cables? that's ridic.

can they maybe be linked together and hung with 2 cables?

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 05:47 PM   #52
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

In some of the pictures taken by d2mini you can see that he has two modules linked together with only one pair of cables.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 05:51 PM   #53
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
In some of the pictures taken by d2mini you can see that he has two modules linked together with only one pair of cables.
yes, to form a square. can it be done lengthwise?

also, at 6" awl won't it get splashed?

Unread 09/12/2011, 06:02 PM   #54
Bobbofin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
Where did I say salt evaporates? This is a saltwater environment and something place 8" away from saltwater is going to get salt on it.
Why does no-one reads what's written and stop assuming things?
Salt does not evaporate. Also, if you are splashing enough water that it would effect the fixture you need to put away the snorkel, flippers and the rubber ducky......

Bobbofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 06:06 PM   #55
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbofin View Post
Salt does not evaporate. Also, if you are splashing enough water that it would effect the fixture you need to put away the snorkel, flippers and the rubber ducky......

it's not continually splashing, but at 6" (the rec height) it will get splashed.
is the fixture made for that eventuality?

I mean if a mh gets splashed you lose a bulb, if this unit gets splashed you lose 800 smackers.

Unread 09/12/2011, 06:49 PM   #56
david00061
Registered Member

How many units do you recommend for a 109x40x27? It will be a well stocked mixed reef

david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 06:54 PM   #57
SkullV
They Got My Number

Will the software that is coming with the Radion work with Mac as well as PC?

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 07:06 PM   #58
pmrossetti
Registered Member

I may have missed it, but is there a dusk/dawn ramp up/down?

is there a moon cycle?

and is there a par chart that's readable?
ecotech's is not clear.

Last edited by pmrossetti; 09/12/2011 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 09/12/2011, 07:15 PM   #59
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrossetti View Post
I may have missed it, but is there a dusk/dawn ramp up/down?

is there a moon cycle?

and is there a par chart that's readable?
ecotech's is not clear.
Watch the Mrsaltwatertanktv about the radion, he has a good chart.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 07:31 PM   #60
pmrossetti
Registered Member

am i wrong. is no one else concerned about splashes being so close to the water?
it seems ecotech made the fixture too weak to be mounted a safe distance above the water. and with no optics unfixable.

they got good spread but at what risk to the fixture.

that's a big problem, no?
please, your input.

Unread 09/12/2011, 07:44 PM   #61
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Watch the Mrsaltwatertanktv about the radion, he has a good chart.
as good par as the 250watt mh, but....at 100percent setting. which means if you adjust color at all down goes par, right?

Unread 09/12/2011, 08:24 PM   #62
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrossetti View Post
am i wrong. is no one else concerned about splashes being so close to the water?
it seems ecotech made the fixture too weak to be mounted a safe distance above the water. and with no optics unfixable.

they got good spread but at what risk to the fixture.

that's a big problem, no?
please, your input.
What the heck is splashing a significant amount of water 6" off the surface of the water? There is an optic over the LED so even if it did get splash, you can wipe it off. The emitter side of the LED doesnt produce enough heat for the splash to be a problem either.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2011, 08:54 PM   #63
pmrossetti
Registered Member

so it can't get inside?

Unread 09/12/2011, 09:57 PM   #64
phishyreef
Registered Member

Can these be mounted inside of a canopy successfully, if so what is the best way?

40 Gallon sump, Phosban w/ PURA Complete, EURO USA Skimmer, mud/rubble/chaeto, return
phishyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 06:57 AM   #65
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

pmrossetti-

The lights have four M5 mounting holes on the top so the mounting options are essentially endless. As was shown with Dennis's tank, a simple mounting bracket was created to string multiple units together and hang them from one premium mounting kit rather than have one kit (with two vertical cables) per unit. The lights can be aligned short-ways or long-ways.

The electronics are sealed out from the cooling circuit. If the unit gets splashed, wipe it down periodically and you'll be fine. The unit runs best around 8" over the tank and can easily go higher. The PAR chart provided by us already is at 12" away from the sensor. There will be more PAR measurements over time showing how it compares to any other product on the market. You can run it higher to get more spread at the cost of lower PAR, just like any other lighting product on the market. With the amount of PAR that the Radion puts out, this won't be an issue to your tank if you're trying to go for more spread.

Our numbers are based on 100% intensity which equates to approximately a 10k-12k MH in terms of color. Just like any LED technology, if you dim it you will lose some PAR.

Mark did an excellent overview of the light on his website, www.mrsaltwatertank.com:

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/pumps-glue-and-now-leds/

Included in this review is a PAR analysis of his light compared to a 250w MH. The Radion produces higher PAR and excellent spread over his 90gal tank allowing him to use only two lights should he go completely LED.

SkullV-

Initially the software will be PC only but Mac is planned.

phishyreef-

Yes, the Radion can be mounted within a canopy. Make sure there is adequate ventilation into and out of the canopy. A sealed canopy will be bad for any LED technology.

david00061

Are your dimensions in inches? If so, I would recommend two rows of four to six lights to ensure adequate coverage over the entire tank.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
EcoTech Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:31 AM   #66
Chooch1
Registered Member

Tim,

I have a 180 gallon tank, 72" x 24" x 24". I have ordered 3 Radion units. When will the hanging kit be available? Any pictures of it? Cost? I would like to basically hang my lights on 2 foot centers over my tank for even light distribution. Will the hanging kit allow the lights to be hung in this manner so that the hanging wires would be on each end of the end light fixtures? In other words can you link the 3 fixtures at this distance into essentially one fixture and then have the hanging wires on each end? I would prefer not to have six wires hanging from my ceiling if possible. Thanks.

Chooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:35 AM   #67
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

chooch1-

While there is nothing wrong with three to start out, you may want to consider adding a fourth to the mix eventually. Fortunately we have planned to have a lot of supply for the Radion so you should be able to pick one up easily after you try out three.

The premium hanging kit will be available at launch and we hope to have brackets available shortly after launch, hopefully within the first month or so.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:43 AM   #68
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Hi Tim, how many Radion fixtures do you recommend for a 48" x 24" x 21" and a 36" x 24 x 18"? I was thinking two fixtures for the 4ft tank and try one for the 3ft tank, your thoughts?

RRL

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:59 AM   #69
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

For the 48" tank I think you can go with two, for the 36" tank you'll be between one and two units. Ultimately we may need more time to determine the best configuration for that size tank.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 08:02 AM   #70
this is me
Registered Member

Are these compatible with Profilux controller?

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 08:12 AM   #71
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Are these compatible with Profilux controller?
The framework is all there, but it will take a little bit of time for us and GHL/Apex to write the code and get everything going. The control will be wireless just like for VorTechs.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 08:20 AM   #72
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks for the response.
Suppose I buy 2 Radions, can I plug in the GHL PWM module or the 1-10V port and control the light? In other words, does the Radion use 1-10V or PWM for the dimming?
GHL already have the dimming and storm mode all in their controller. Not sure what you mean by extra coding. If the controller can provide the PWM or 1-10V signal needed to the Radion, then the controller should be able to control the light however it wants.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 08:59 AM   #73
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Thanks for the response.
Suppose I buy 2 Radions, can I plug in the GHL PWM module or the 1-10V port and control the light? In other words, does the Radion use 1-10V or PWM for the dimming?
GHL already have the dimming and storm mode all in their controller. Not sure what you mean by extra coding. If the controller can provide the PWM or 1-10V signal needed to the Radion, then the controller should be able to control the light however it wants.
There's no 0-10v input on the Radion, only our wireless communication which requires specific communication and development time to get ready. When it's done it will be extremely nice though and it's not something terribly difficult, just like for the VorTech.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 09:01 AM   #74
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

I pre ordered two modules from Marine depot for my 90 gallon, when do you see your product getting to them for distribution?

Also the last post had me wondering, all dimming and programming doesn't require a controller, correct?

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 10:08 AM   #75
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
I pre ordered two modules from Marine depot for my 90 gallon, when do you see your product getting to them for distribution?

Also the last post had me wondering, all dimming and programming doesn't require a controller, correct?

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk
By late October. The Radion is fully controllable out of the box using our USB software.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com