Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2011, 06:05 AM   #151
jagger0792
Registered Member

Very interested in the light unit but just a few questions,first

1) What is the difference between the 2 hanging kits, any ideas on price for the deluxe kit
2) Is the fan on always when the light unit is on or just at a specific temperature
3) For programming it has a USB connection, is there some software that comes with the unit for the PC
4) Regarding programming I have some specific questions.
Can you create a gradual dimming effect over time for sun sets and the opposite for sunrise
Can you program the frequency and time of day of storms or is it just random
5) How hot much heat would the unit throw out, say vs T5's
6) Which way do the fans blow, towards water or away from water.

Sorry if some of this has been written earlier.

Cheers dan

jagger0792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2011, 07:20 AM   #152
chercm
Registered Member

to add on will water get into the LED easily ?

one more question when will it be launched ?

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2011, 08:58 PM   #153
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercm View Post
to add on will water get into the LED easily ?

one more question when will it be launched ?
Did you read the thread?

The electronics (LEDs) are sealed off from the cooling channel where moisture MAY get into. The clusters will need to be wiped down periodically just like any other light fixture.

They will be launched mid-late October.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2011, 09:16 PM   #154
sawcreatives
Registered Member

I am thinking about preordering one of these bad boys... do you think it will have the ability to be controlled by an iphone with updates?

sawcreatives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2011, 09:26 PM   #155
HaleMoana
Registered Member

Not sure if this is appropriate to discuss here or not, but please understand that I do not mean any disrespect. But the $750 price tag just seems so outrageous. I would really love to go with these modules over my 220, but there is no way that I can drop that kind of coin to cover that tank. 24x24 coverage means I would need 3 modules = $2250. Yikes.

Any chance that $750 might have been a "prelimanary ballpark" figure prior to product launch and final pricing might be lower?

Boy, that $750 is just too much.

Current Tank Info: Custom Starphire 220 In Wall Wrasse Retreat
HaleMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2011, 09:46 PM   #156
MedRed
Registered Member

If the price is too steep, wait it out. The entire lighting industry is expecting a MASSIVE drop in LED pricing over the next couple of years.

Unread 09/19/2011, 11:49 PM   #157
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post
Not sure if this is appropriate to discuss here or not, but please understand that I do not mean any disrespect. But the $750 price tag just seems so outrageous. I would really love to go with these modules over my 220, but there is no way that I can drop that kind of coin to cover that tank. 24x24 coverage means I would need 3 modules = $2250. Yikes.

Any chance that $750 might have been a "prelimanary ballpark" figure prior to product launch and final pricing might be lower?

Boy, that $750 is just too much.
Look at the rest of their products. They are all up there in price, but are all top of the line and worth every penny. If they are anything like their pumps I don't see the price of these fixtures coming down for years to come. Especially with the modular design and upgrade potential.

That being said, I just saw a photo over on the ReefLEDlights forum that showed different BINs of XP-G diodes. Was Ecotech selective in what BINs they chose for these lights? The photo that they posted showed a very drastic difference between the spectrum of the different CREE BINs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=1

Unread 09/20/2011, 08:21 AM   #158
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
If the price is too steep, wait it out. The entire lighting industry is expecting a MASSIVE drop in LED pricing over the next couple of years.
This is off topic so I apologize but there is no way prices will drop the way people think. Have prices ever bottomed out with quality T5 or MH options? No, they have not.

LED companies have no residual income. If these fixtures last for even 5 years then companies have to make ALL of their profit up front. MH and T5 companies have you paying them for life to buy new bulbs every 9-12 months. LED manufactures don't have that luxury so they have to keep prices high.

Just my opinion though.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 08:33 AM   #159
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
This is off topic so I apologize but there is no way prices will drop the way people think. Have prices ever bottomed out with quality T5 or MH options? No, they have not.

LED companies have no residual income. If these fixtures last for even 5 years then companies have to make ALL of their profit up front. MH and T5 companies have you paying them for life to buy new bulbs every 9-12 months. LED manufactures don't have that luxury so they have to keep prices high.

Just my opinion though.
The entire LED industry is expecting massive cuts in cost. There are any number of articles that speak to it.

LED Lighting Prices to ‘Plummet’ By 2015, VantagePoint Says,

That argument doesn't stand up, as most companies selling MH and T5 fixtures do not sell their own bulbs. They sell you a fixture, and that's the last you deal with them unless you buy another fixture. Most LED companies are building units that allow the LED pucks to be swapped. Fixture manufacturers will probably offer upgrade LEDs with better spectrums or newer guts. We've already seen AI offer upgrades to change a Sol to a Sol Blue, optic upgrades, and now the ability to upgrade a Sol/Sol Blue to a "Phoenix." That flexibility is something that MH and T5 manufacturers don't have.

Last edited by MedRed; 09/20/2011 at 08:44 AM.
MedRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 08:33 AM   #160
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Makes sense.

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 11:34 AM   #161
bankyf
Registered Member

Quote:
The entire LED industry is expecting massive cuts in cost. There are any number of articles that speak to it.

That argument doesn't stand up, as most companies selling MH and T5 fixtures do not sell their own bulbs. They sell you a fixture, and that's the last you deal with them unless you buy another fixture. Most LED companies are building units that allow the LED pucks to be swapped. Fixture manufacturers will probably offer upgrade LEDs with better spectrums or newer guts. We've already seen AI offer upgrades to change a Sol to a Sol Blue, optic upgrades, and now the ability to upgrade a Sol/Sol Blue to a "Phoenix." That flexibility is something that MH and T5 manufacturers don't have.
The problem with this is that the diode cost is a relatively small portion of the cost of the fixture. I would be surprised if their cost was more than $100 for the leds, so even with a 50% price cut on leds it would only bring the fixture down by $50 at the most.

bankyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 11:39 AM   #162
LukeGI
Registered Member

I agree...the primary costs of a fixture aren't the diodes, but the power supplies. The housing, wiring and programming isn't likely to go down in price either...with or without China

Current Tank Info: 180g Mixed Reef, 40B sump, LED lights
LukeGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 11:41 AM   #163
D-Nak
Registered Member

We also need to keep in mind that the price is based on a lot more than just the unit cost -- R&D, marketing, customer support, software, etc. To me, Ecotech is like the Apple of reef products. They have top notch products and stand behind them with excellent customer service. Sure, we all wish their products were cheaper -- like we do with Apple -- but we know we're going to get a good product and are willing to pay a premium for it.

D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 11:45 AM   #164
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGI View Post
I agree...the primary costs of a fixture aren't the diodes, but the power supplies. The housing, wiring and programming isn't likely to go down in price either...with or without China
not true.

the main cost is LED lighting being "NEW"

I am an electrical engineer, and design these things for living, [well biomed but close enough]

wait till new LEDs with correct spectrum come out.

good thing about this unit, VS all others, is that it can be upgraded ! so when new LEDs come out, you dont have to trow the fixture out.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 11:50 AM   #165
LukeGI
Registered Member

I am working closely with a company that specializes in Hydroponics with LED's...very specific spectrum's as well.
I am in process of designing an led fixture in conjunction with them and can tell you that my primary costs are not the diodes.

The correct spectrum of LED diodes is already out there for reasonable prices.

But hey...its a free world....free opinions to all

Unread 09/20/2011, 12:19 PM   #166
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Unread 09/20/2011, 12:26 PM   #167
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post

That being said, I just saw a photo over on the ReefLEDlights forum that showed different BINs of XP-G diodes. Was Ecotech selective in what BINs they chose for these lights? The photo that they posted showed a very drastic difference between the spectrum of the different CREE BINs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=1
Just wanted to reiterate this question in the hopes that it doesn't get lost in OT land.

Unread 09/20/2011, 12:26 PM   #168
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Wow! If they exist why are they not being used, especially in this particular fixture?

This is why I went with this fixture, upgrade ability! When they do find these "right spectrum LEDs" they can be easily installed. Also I have two MP40s and only makes sense to utilize the lights and flow together. IMO.

Unread 09/20/2011, 12:34 PM   #169
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGI View Post

The correct spectrum of LED diodes is already out there for reasonable prices.
link and info please ... 420 nm Wavelenght LED.

thanks.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2011, 12:38 PM   #170
LukeGI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
link and info please ... 420 nm Wavelenght LED.

thanks.
http:// reef builders .com/2010/09/29/true-violet-led-420/ (remove spaces)

http://www.ledsupply.com/l3-0-v5th15-1.php

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/led-420nm.html

Unread 09/20/2011, 01:17 PM   #171
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

So could this be used in the 6th channel, or to replace another color? How would this one diode correct the spectrum?

Unread 09/20/2011, 01:26 PM   #172
LukeGI
Registered Member

I never stated that one diode would fix any problem...and I am not positive what problem you are insinuating exists.
I was merely stating that there are diodes in the market right now for the spectrum of light that coral requires to grow...that don't cost so much as to make them the primary cost of a fixture.

Unread 09/20/2011, 01:48 PM   #173
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Sorry, I was just thinking that your post was saying that there were other LEDs out there that get a spectrum closer to that of the sun and be more beneficial to corals.

Unread 09/20/2011, 06:42 PM   #174
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:

Umm. ATI, Giesemann, Hamilton, CoralVue, Korallen Zucht, Aquatic Life, Current USA, Aqua Medic and I am sure there are more that I forgot. Yeah you have Radium, XM, Phoenix and some others but most companies produce bulbs as well.

I bet if we asked ATI where their money came from, they wouldn't say it is the fixtures.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2011, 05:22 AM   #175
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post

Just my opinion though.

Ryan....great point. I is my belief, that even though there will be a price drop in LED's in the future, it will not be to the extent that people are looking for. There will be more cost friendlier options with more companies entering the arena, but the price of LED fixtures will plateau eventually....imho.