Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2018, 06:58 PM   #3351
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Your point being, Mr Kettle?

Shouldn’t that make me Mr. Pot? Or do you want to be Mr. Pot being where you live..

I have actually been finding myself less involved these days. Not sure why? I still read your plant nonsense whenever I get a thread notification, but that’s about it. :0

To kill off your snails, jack the ammonia up until they start doing backflips or add some cured non-aquarium safe silicone and wait for the backflips. Lol

Both of these (unintentional) methods have worked great for me..

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 06:38 AM   #3352
McPuff
Registered Member

Great information on macro algae cleansing! Not sure why I hadn't considered Bayer dip for the cheato as I dip all corals in it already.

Mr. Pot ---- ha ha ha!!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 07:46 AM   #3353
Chasmodes
Registered Member

For my tank, I'm not as worried about nasties as you guys are except for fish parasites. So, my plan is to simply put everything in a holding tank without fish (fallow) for 6 weeks and then place it in a FW bath for a few minutes before transferring it to the display tank. All fish that I collect will go into QT and treated with copper for three weeks.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:08 PM   #3354
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, that makes more sense for ME to be Mr Pot, heh, heh…

This discussion has been very informative! Cheers!

Kevin, I was in a similar place regarding nasties. I wasn't concerned with hitchhikers on plants, etc. I benefitted a lot by getting freebies, like plants, pods and worms. Now however, I have several undesirable organisms I want to eradicate, and I don't want them to return, hence the obsession with sterilizing stuff. I don't expect to go 'full nazi', but I do want to have a procedure in place.

I 'got away with it' for three years before I had trouble. I managed to get rid of ICH, but since then I've accumulated a few other items I'd like to get rid of, and hopefully not return. They are dinoflagellates, aiptasia anemones and a few macro algae.

These items, as well as some system fixes, led me down the path to the re-do. Having lived with the setup awhile, the little things that bugged me gradually became bigger things. I was very happy how things went with the tank. I was thrilled to keep the plants alive! Now I'm at the point where I have a better idea what I don't want, whereas before it was like "everyone's welcome!"

I see this as my own evolution as an ecosystem manager/gardener. I'm fascinated with our two tanks similarities and differences, as well as our methods to get there!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:58 PM   #3355
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I see this as my own evolution as an ecosystem manager/gardener. I'm fascinated with our two tanks similarities and differences, as well as our methods to get there!
Exactly, me too. I've learned a lot from your experiences, and probably will continue as long as I don't run out of working brain cells. I'm paying close attention, because someday, I may evolve as well I can see without the right checks and balances like predation, certain OK species populations can get out of hand and take the tank in the wrong direction.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 04/03/2018, 02:10 PM   #3356
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Agreed! I'm learning from your experience too.

I have an OK species that did get out of hand. That black grasilaria was great, when it was just one plant, surrounded by other, more colorful plants. It took a while but eventually it got out of hand, forming a black turf throughout the tank. It wasn't a problem for the ecosystem, but it was a problem for me, aesthetically. The overall color of the tank shifted towards black, which wasn't what I was going for.

It will be interesting to see if I am able to better control which plants I keep, in order to get the look I want this time. So the gardener aspect is becoming more important to me. I see this as the gardener/ecosystem manager challenge!

Unread 04/04/2018, 01:32 PM   #3357
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Progress is slow, but things are happening. I have two tanks set up in my home office - the 40 gallon QT and the 25 gallon holding tank. The holding tank just has substrate and water. Since I used dirt, I wanted to give it some time to settle down before I start transferring seagrass into it. Also, I'm still deciding on the lighting. The compact fluorescent I have on it now doesn't look bright enough to me. It's 96 watts, so that's 3.84 watts per gallon. I'll have to play around with it.

It occurred to me when to make the cut from one thread to the next. Once I drain the tank and am ready to begin adding new stuff - THAT will be the time!

Unread 04/08/2018, 09:22 PM   #3358
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have another 96 watt bulb and ballast, so I put both over the holding tank. Now I feel like there is enough light to keep the grasses alive in there. I put some mollies in there too. Now all I need to do is commit to ripping out the grasses. It's tough since they're doing so well. But it's got to happen! I got the stuff to make my tank-top screens, for fish stick prevention. It seems like a lot of fish are potential jumpers. So many projects to come!

Stay focused!

Unread 04/09/2018, 05:58 AM   #3359
vlangel
Registered Member

I think you have a good plan and are executing it well. I hear ya on hating to rip out the grasses now that they are finally thriving. �� Its always a bummer to have to go backwards to ultimately progress more forwards.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 08:50 AM   #3360
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The next journey is nearly beginning

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/09/2018, 01:00 PM   #3361
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn and Kevin. Sorry progress is so slow. We have additional people in the house, so I'm finding it harder to set aside time to do stuff. So I just chip away at it, in small steps. Knowing me, at some point it will progress into big steps.

Unread 04/09/2018, 02:27 PM   #3362
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Hey, it's your tank and your timeline. We're just along for the ride

I've been really lazy with my tanks, especially the new builds. Lately, I've just been doing maintenance on the tanks I have up and running, especially my QT tank. I have had some time to work on the new builds, but have been doing other things (family, fishing, etc.), and my motivation has reduced in priority as a result. But, it's weighing on me, so one of these days soon, I'll get my butt in gear and get to work on them. I have some issues with my infrastructure (water and electric) that I need to work out, so that has been part of the problem, and to fix that costs more money that I don't currently have. But, I have plenty of work that I can do to move things along in the right direction to save me time later down the road. Anyway, point being...it's all good, man!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/11/2018, 10:03 PM   #3363
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds familiar, Kevin! It is nice to have a life. What kind of fishing do you do?

I know what you mean with the money thing. I've got to watch the finances too. I have to wait for stuff to go on sale, and align that with the times when I have some cash! It's yet another factor in this hobby that teaches me patience. It would be so much easier if somebody would just pay me to do this!

So yeah, I wish this process went quicker. Once I start ripping out seagrass, things should pick up. Maybe this weekend…

Unread 04/12/2018, 05:15 AM   #3364
vlangel
Registered Member

Ha ha, the story of an aquarist's life...when we have the time we do not have the money and vise versa. The positive side to all that waiting is that we really relish and treasure things we had to wait for. Just picture if we could have anything at anytime...pretty soon we would have run through every single thing the hobby has to offer and we really would not have explored anything to any depth because we were too busy moving on to the next big thing. In no time we would be like King Solomon in Ecclesiastes saying there is nothing new under the sun and all is vanity. I try to take joy in the anticipation of waiting for something new, (operative word there - TRY!)

Unread 04/12/2018, 07:21 AM   #3365
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Yeah, Michael, money is quite the limiting factor sometimes. But, it's not always weather I have it or not. Sometimes, it's just that I find it difficult to pull the trigger without doing enough research, almost to the point of obsession where I can't make up my mind on exactly the product that I want, for fear of buying something that won't live up to my expectations. And, that fault isn't always with aquarium supplies, LOL. I'll go to a cool tackle shop and fill my cart with stuff that I "want" and wind up going around and putting most of it back and wind up with only what I "need". My wife is the opposite...spends money that I saved from putting the stuff back, LOL.

Dawn, that is so true, well said.

I love just about all kinds of fishing, mostly freshwater but I also like catching striped bass and saltwater fishing. I've had quite the variety, from fly fishing for brook trout, to fly fishing for salmon and steelhead and saltwater fishing. I used to bass fish primarly, but also enjoy fishing for panfish (crappie, perch, bluegills) and I'm also an avid ice fisherman. My latest obsession has been musky fishing, because it is so difficult compared to other species. Right now, the big stripers are in, so it is cool to get a big striper on a crankbait, but the bass fishing now is good too...but that is always the case in the spring, all of the fishing is good. I'll share a couple fishing pics, but don't want to hijack your thread. I mostly practice catch, photo, and release, but once in a blue moon I may keep some panfish from an ice fishing trip, or a snakehead if I catch one (they are so delicious, best fish that I ever ate).

My personal best striped bass:

Me with a musky, not huge and not my biggest, but a good pic showing their teeth, but I'll take it (they don't get that big in my neck of the woods like they do up North):

My only snakehead, but it was a biggun at 16 pounds, 36 1/2" long:

I've caught lots of bass like this, which are big for Maryland but not so big in Florida, about 7 pounds or so. I've bass fished a LOT in my life.

Fishing, fish collecting, and fossil collecting (mostly sharks teeth) take up so much of my free time that I'm not home all that much. When I'm home, I like to just chill...so I need to make better use of my home time.

Sorry to hijack. I guess my fishing pics will get some fish keepers a bit upset, but oh well. 99.99% of the fish that I catch went back to what they were doing before I caught them.

OK, sorry, back to your tank thread

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/12/2018, 07:59 AM   #3366
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So true, Dawn! It amazes me how much money some folks have to spend on this hobby. I've spent my share too, but now I try to keep using stuff I bought years ago. Hey, it still works! It's true, I appreciate it more, now that I can't just buy anything I want.

Great (big) fish pics, Kevin! It sounds like you've got fishing for anytime of year! I've done a lot of bass fishing when I lived in Georgia. When I lived in Florida, I fished for flounder and redfish. I love flounder! I gave fly fishing a try here in Colorado. I spent most of the time untangling the line from the bushes behind me.

These days, I spend a lot of free time snowboarding and cross country skiing - about three times a week. Now, it's just about time to switch over to the mountain bike. I love going fast, using gravity and my own power. Keeps me young! I too like to relax when I'm home. I'm often sore from playtime! I've got a nice couch/aquarium arrangement I avail myself of, staring for hours.

Life's rough…

Unread 04/12/2018, 09:04 AM   #3367
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I've been blessed with good fishing. I have more fishing pics than you can shake a stick at.

Quote:
I spent most of the time untangling the line from the bushes behind me.
Been there, done that... (literally, in Boulder Canyon)! Yeah, to me, getting outside is my escape and a natural way to unwind, so I do it as much as possible. It sounds like you do the same, just a different and more vigorous sports. That said, musky fishing can wear you out tossing 1 pound lures all day long. There may be a time in the future that I'd have to give it up.

Nice view of the tank! Yeah, life is rough...made me laugh. But hey, it's yet another way to unwind, to crawl into our own underwater realm visually and relax.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/12/2018, 09:07 AM   #3368
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I also meant to say that I'm not as into the obsession of catching big fish any longer, just the opportunity to get out and enjoy whatever I fish for. If I catch a big fish, great, but the past five years or so, I've been more interested in things like scenery, and life underwater, enjoying the company and the overall experience, etc., so much so that one of my (stalled) builds is a freshwater river tank. I am considering taking up snorkeling in the river too, fish watching...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:03 AM   #3369
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, those are some nice fish! Especially the stripe!

The snakehead is pretty amazing. I used to have a red/giant snakehead when I was much younger and they were still legal to own. It was a crazy fish and very cool to watch it eat. Honestly I'd love to have one again but in a much larger tank! :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 04:51 PM   #3370
vlangel
Registered Member

Wow Kevin, those are some whopper fish! I like to fish but don't go very often. I have a grandson who likes to fish and hope to take him in June.

Michael, I like to go fast too but I am too lazy to use my own power. I love motorcycles and although it took me almost 20 years, I have got my husband into it as well. We have ridden our bikes in all of the lower 48 states from our house in PA. Its still on my bucket list to ride to Alaska but I guess Hawaii will never happen, ha ha!

Like you guys I am an outside gal myself. I love landscaping and gardening. I mow our church's property which is 12 acres. Mostly I love running the zero turn radius Cheeta, ha ha!

Unread 04/16/2018, 08:15 AM   #3371
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I keep looking for the new thread LOL. Still checking in here though. How are things going Michael?

Thanks McPuff and Dawn! Nothing like the outdoors and then a fish tank to chill with when you unwind Wow, I'd love to make a trip to Alaska, not only to fish but to experience the outdoors there, from the coast to the mountains.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:36 AM   #3372
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, nothing to see here. Another weekend without much progress. Between the honey-dos, the family, and my need to exhaust myself playing outside, there just isn't much time for the aquarium re-do.

I should be coming into the time of year when it's too muddy to mountain bike and not enough snow to cross country ski. THAT'S when I should be able to get something done…

Unread 04/17/2018, 02:43 PM   #3373
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I'm in a similar situation, between family plans and fishing trips, not much time. April is the time to be fishing around here, BIG fish time. And the weather is picking up nicely too, so gotta get outside. I don't mean to pressure you, just checking in...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:17 AM   #3374
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right on, Kevin.

The only pressure I feel is from myself, really. I think it's the good kind, that will help motivate me to get after it. I feel an explosion of activity coming on!

Unread 04/20/2018, 04:34 AM   #3375
vlangel
Registered Member

Hooray for an explosion of activity!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass