Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2013, 05:41 PM   #626
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

HAHA... Fish store here you come. A friend just hit the one in springfield yesterday.... (just saying)

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2013, 06:34 PM   #627
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
HAHA... Fish store here you come. A friend just hit the one in springfield yesterday.... (just saying)
Larry - I was browsing today for new fish...lol. Its funny now that the bully is out I notice the Glass Cardinals are a little more in the open. The wrasses seem to enjoy him not being in there as well. After I fix the aquascapeing I will add the wrasse that is still in QT. Oh and by the way I am going to check out ReefCleaners this weekend. Probably place an order Monday for Tue delivery.

Unread 10/03/2013, 09:06 PM   #628
worm5406

That is good. John is an easy and quick guy to work with.

I just got 2000 pods for my tank from reefs2go.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 10/04/2013, 06:16 AM   #629
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Reefs2Go is right around the corner from me. Their pod special are crazy cheap.

Love the longspine cardinals. Hope they stay out more..

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 08:53 PM   #630
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
That is good. John is an easy and quick guy to work with.

I just got 2000 pods for my tank from reefs2go.
Larry - I did not plan well for ordering from them. Seems I needed to order last night in order for it to ship out on Monday. I have to plan a little better next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Reefs2Go is right around the corner from me. Their pod special are crazy cheap.

Love the longspine cardinals. Hope they stay out more..
Wayne - I think I have tried them a couple of times now and each time I have been less than excited with the order I received. I may have to try the pods though since they are supposed to be small I won't have to complain about the size of the critters.

General Updates - Orange Back Dead

Link to pictures below: Tank Build Thread

Yesterday I came down stairs and I noticed the Orange back was laying on his side. The whole time he has been in QT he has seemed healthy except he did not put on any weight while in QT. Since he looked like a goner I decided to put him in the DT. I acclimated him and put him in. I found the remains this morning. I tested the water and there were no signs of ammonia or nitrates in the QT.

In QT a week or so ago
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)

Today in the DT
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)  - Skeleton

General Updates - Coral Picture

I started reaquascaping the tank this weekend. It's hard to change the placement of some corals but things are coming along slowly. There is a lot of putting a rock in one place running down looking to see how it looks then running back behind the tank. Tiring to say the least...lol.

I snapped this last week but just getting around to posting.
Blue Tipped Acro

Unread 10/06/2013, 09:46 PM   #631
Newbie Aquarist

I'm sorry to hear about that. I have heard other customers going through the same problems you have. But I've only don the pod and cleanup crew special. Sorry about the orange back too. It is a beautiful fish.

Unread 10/06/2013, 09:51 PM   #632
worm5406

Since you are going it another try, I hope it turns out good.

I have always had good luck with him. Always over what was requested.

Lets see what you get this time, in pictures/video and see how it turns out.

Sorry about the orange-back.

I just did a video of some tank maintenance, compiling it now, hope to upload it tonight.

Unread 10/07/2013, 04:36 PM   #633
RJT
Registered Member

Hello. Sorry to hear about the wrasse. He looked happy the last time I saw him. Its a little late but I don't think you should have put him in your DT since he was dying for unknown reasons.

Coral pic looks great

Unread 10/07/2013, 08:46 PM   #634
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about that. I have heard other customers going through the same problems you have. But I've only don the pod and cleanup crew special. Sorry about the orange back too. It is a beautiful fish.
Wayne - I guess they must really do well with the pods because a few others have said the pods is a good deal from them and the were pretty happy. In regards to the fish I talked to a few people and they suspect something was wrong. All of my previous fish have started to put on weight in a matter of 21 days. This fish was in QT well over that and being fed very well and did not put on any weight.

Quote:
Since you are going it another try, I hope it turns out good.

I have always had good luck with him. Always over what was requested.

Lets see what you get this time, in pictures/video and see how it turns out.

Sorry about the orange-back.

I just did a video of some tank maintenance, compiling it now, hope to upload it tonight.
Larry - I hope so as well. Nothing sucks more than paying for something and then not being pleased with the product. I will take pictures and keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT View Post
Hello. Sorry to hear about the wrasse. He looked happy the last time I saw him. Its a little late but I don't think you should have put him in your DT since he was dying for unknown reasons.

Coral pic looks great
Richard - Thanks man. I thought thing right after i threw him in. I hope whatever killed him will not spread. I plan to does with garlic heavy for the next few weeks.

General Updates - Mandarin Finally Eating Mysis

Tonight when I fed the fish I noticed the mandarin what picking at a few mysis that had gotten caught on the edge of my nuclear greens. I thought I was just a one off but after watching him move around a bit I noticed he was actively seeking them out in places where the current was not to strong.

Unread 10/07/2013, 10:01 PM   #635
worm5406

Very nice... I wonder how it would be with some live mysis.

Unread 10/08/2013, 05:56 AM   #636
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Very nice... I wonder how it would be with some live mysis.
Larry - I think he would have a ball. Its funny they are slow and very inaccurate. I think he thought they were swimming because I had all the pumps running at feeding time to stir things up.

Unread 10/08/2013, 06:01 AM   #637
owenspackman
Registered Member

Great news in the mandarin and mysis. He will have a wonderful chance to thrive now!

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2013, 06:49 AM   #638
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenspackman View Post
Great news in the mandarin and mysis. He will have a wonderful chance to thrive now!
owenspackman - I am pretty excited about this as well. When I first got him he was small and skinny but now he looks good. I am not sure how long he as been eating them them but hopefully he will continue to seek them out during feeding time. I like all my fish plump and happy. Keeps aggression down .

Unread 10/08/2013, 06:58 AM   #639
owenspackman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
owenspackman - I am pretty excited about this as well. When I first got him he was small and skinny but now he looks good. I am not sure how long he as been eating them them but hopefully he will continue to seek them out during feeding time. I like all my fish plump and happy. Keeps aggression down .
I had one that did mysis and brine and he did great! They're an awesome fish when you don't have to worry about them starving.

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 06:53 AM   #640
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenspackman View Post
I had one that did mysis and brine and he did great! They're an awesome fish when you don't have to worry about them starving.
owenspackman- It is such a relief. I am going ti see if he takes brine this week .

Unread 10/17/2013, 08:55 PM   #641
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates - Fish and Critters

Build Thread Pictures
I picked up a new McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) on Saturday from a LFS. It was sold to me as a female but when I got home and was taking a few pictures I noticed it had an elongated dorsal fin. I asked in the Reef Fishes Forum and it was confirmed I have a second sub adult. For my tank size they say there should be minimal problems. I am crossing my fingers! I also picked up a few snails, peppermint shrimp, and emerald crabs. These critters actually do their jobs...the peppermint shrimp have already started taking care of the aptasia in my frag tank. The emerald crabs actually eat bubble algae!

New wrasse in acclimation with critters
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

Critters
IMG_9013

Emerald Crab Eating
IMG_9023

General Updates - New Skimmer and Salt
My last fish died in QT and I suspect it was some type of disease but also the skimmer was not functioning to my liking. I am replacing my AquaC 120 with the ESHOPPS PSK-75H. Hopefully this little skimmer will perform well. I like to feed heavy so this will allow me to plump up any future fish before they hit the tank. I chose this one since it had some features I like on some larger skimmers. It has a bubble plate, already plumbed for overflow protection, small footprint, and nice pump. I was also running low on salt so I picked up a few boxes of salt. The Columbus Day sales turned out pretty good for me.

New Skimmer
IMG_9082

Out of Box
IMG_9089

Fully Assembled
IMG_9095

IMG_9101

Bubble Plate
IMG_9115

Bubbles
IMG_9124

New Salt
IMG_9121

Last edited by nightOwl; 10/17/2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Forgot link for build thread
nightOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 09:21 PM   #642
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates - Continued

Build Thread Pictures

I also picked up a few new frags over the past weekend from the same place I got the fish and critters. Prices were pretty good so I could not pass them up. One frag is not pictured which is a mushroom frag. My wife saw it and thought it was nice so I picked it up as well. I will get a picture of it tomorrow. Here are few pictures.

Zoas
IMG_9116

Chalice Frag
IMG_9043

Video of Emerald Crab eating
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Unread 10/18/2013, 05:41 AM   #643
Newbie Aquarist

Nice updates man. Which fish did you lose in QT?

Unread 10/18/2013, 06:28 AM   #644
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Nice updates man. Which fish did you lose in QT?
Wayne - it was the Orange Back Wrasse but I think it was sick . It was the one I threw into my DT and found dead.I guess technically I lost him in my DT...lol .Deep down I think I wanted a new toy...lol.

Tags
180 gallon, in wall build