Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2012, 06:22 PM   #801
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifnos View Post
amazing!following
Glad to have you tagging along

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 04:34 PM   #802
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Stand Herculined...

Finally got the Herculiner in yesterday so did some last minute sanding last night, wiped down with oxalic acid, roughed up with orbital sander 40 grit sandpaper, wiped down with acetone twice, and one coat of Herculiner on! I ordered two kits and think I went through about half a gallon. I may go ahead and do three coats in the next 24 hours

Anyways, here's some pics of it I snapped with the phone....Ones I took with good camera were foggy as my lens fogged up as soon as I walked out due to how humid it is today!

Front Side:

Back Side:

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 09/02/2012, 04:33 AM   #803
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

After a second coat last night it's definitely thick as what I've seen on bed liners. From what I've read, many do 3/4 coats for additional longevity....Anyone else have any value to add?

Unread 09/02/2012, 06:43 AM   #804
SPotter
Registered Member

no experience with this Dustin but that stand looks amazing!!!! how heavy is it and how many friends will you be gathering up to move it into the basement?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 07:48 AM   #805
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
no experience with this Dustin but that stand looks amazing!!!! how heavy is it and how many friends will you be gathering up to move it into the basement?
I like it and I've seen it in action on a Jeep/Truck and it will take some abuse, much more than I plan on giving it. I'd say it's 250-300 pounds and I'm getting really tired of flipping it during this sanding/painting process! Honestly don't think it will be that hard to move compared to the tank as it's got plenty of places to grab onto.

Unread 09/02/2012, 08:47 AM   #806
dave.m
Registered Member

One question about the Herculiner stuff, and this may be a really stupid concern but ... That stuff is meant to be used outdoors. Is it safe for indoor use? Are there any off-gassing issues?

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 11:39 AM   #807
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
One question about the Herculiner stuff, and this may be a really stupid concern but ... That stuff is meant to be used outdoors. Is it safe for indoor use? Are there any off-gassing issues?

Thx,

Dave.M
I know I've seen many uses for the products and many others using it. On the Herculiner site they have 101 uses of the product: http://www.herculiner.com/101_uses.htm

Based on that info many interior applications, i.e. basement walls, floors, etc. My previous house was an older one and was an unfinished basement....Fell twice while living there when stair would get wet from coming inside from the rain and running to basement and can say this would have given some great texture to the stairs to keep me from sliding on my butt all the way down! Short answer, I assume it to be safe.

Unread 09/02/2012, 11:41 AM   #808
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I got my third coat on this afternoon and looks good. Gotta flip it once cured so I can paint the bottom rail but should be good after that

Texture:

Unread 09/02/2012, 12:03 PM   #809
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Man that looks good. I plan on doing mine white. Pimpalicious D.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:22 PM   #810
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Man that looks good. I plan on doing mine white. Pimpalicious D.
I should have but I did not since it's nearly twice the price tag. I ordered two kits and I just painted the bottom rail with one coat and ran out. You could easily coat stand twice and a partial third with one kit. I've got another gallon kit so think I'm going to have to find some additional uses for it.

My tip from using it is make sure and wear long sleaves, gloves, and pants as it's not too easy to get off. Also get a mixer for drill (I had one from doing tile for mortar/grout) and mix it as you go so you keep the rubber pieces suspended in the paint. With several coats the texture comes out really uniform.

Unread 09/02/2012, 12:44 PM   #811
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I should have but I did not since it's nearly twice the price tag. I ordered two kits and I just painted the bottom rail with one coat and ran out. You could easily coat stand twice and a partial third with one kit. I've got another gallon kit so think I'm going to have to find some additional uses for it.

My tip from using it is make sure and wear long sleaves, gloves, and pants as it's not too easy to get off. Also get a mixer for drill (I had one from doing tile for mortar/grout) and mix it as you go so you keep the rubber pieces suspended in the paint. With several coats the texture comes out really uniform.

That's where the lazy part of me is coming out as I am going to have someone spray paint it for me. I kinda have to know where my limits are and what my back can do.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:51 PM   #812
milonedp
Registered Member

What do you guys think about using this product on the floor and a couple feet up the walls of my fish room? I was going to use something like this then decide to use ice and water shield for a roof just up the wall 2 feet and into the room 1 ft but now I'm back to thinking about this type product...

To see my 450g Display Tank / 600g System build thread click on my username and select "Visit milonedp's homepage!"

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Reef
milonedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 12:54 PM   #813
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

I think that there are cheaper alternatives to sealing your floors and walls. HD/Lowes sells kits for garage floors that are a fraction of the price.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 01:31 PM   #814
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
I think that there are cheaper alternatives to sealing your floors and walls. HD/Lowes sells kits for garage floors that are a fraction of the price.
+1. If you look back in thread I painted my floors of fish room in speckled garage paint. Looks good and held up well so far. Texture of Herculiner is rough and would make it hard to cleanup and mop!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Unread 09/02/2012, 01:52 PM   #815
milonedp
Registered Member

I'm not on slab though I'm over a crawl space that I've had additional support put under. I didn't think those paints would adhere to the wood and drywall would they? The entire room is being painted with Porter Permanizer paint but I wanted something extra sturdy in the corners in-case of a leak to protect the hard wood on the other side of the walls. I have a drain in the floor just looking for some added insurance.

To see my 450g Display Tank / 600g System build thread click on my username and select "Visit milonedp's homepage!"

Unread 09/02/2012, 05:19 PM   #816
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milonedp View Post
I'm not on slab though I'm over a crawl space that I've had additional support put under. I didn't think those paints would adhere to the wood and drywall would they? The entire room is being painted with Porter Permanizer paint but I wanted something extra sturdy in the corners in-case of a leak to protect the hard wood on the other side of the walls. I have a drain in the floor just looking for some added insurance.
Honestly not sure on the recommendation on the walls but something like dry lock is popular with masonry walls/floors too. I painted all my foundation walls and used the speckle paint on the floors which I have shown on page 2 of the thread. Might post a question on the DIY forums and get some good recommendations. I plan on siliconing the 2X4s along the bottom to prevent any problems like that too but not sure about painting wood/drywall!

Unread 09/02/2012, 05:38 PM   #817
milonedp
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack there...

Unread 09/02/2012, 05:53 PM   #818
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milonedp View Post
Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack there...
No hijacking here!

Unread 09/02/2012, 05:57 PM   #819
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I've been going back and forth on what skimmer I want to add to the system since the day is approaching where I'll need to get skimmer going with big tank tied in. Anyone's thoughts on the Super Reef XP8000 External? I think I'd like to have skimmer external to the system and not under any tank/stand so I have open access. I've loved my 3000 Internal SRO I have but it's only rated for 300 gallons so that is NOT going to cut it but I would like to keep it as a backup to the system to have some skimmer should a pump need cleaning or sending off for maintenance. Anyone have any experience with the large external Octopus?

8000 External

Unread 09/02/2012, 07:44 PM   #820
Osteoclast
Registered Member

New to RC but have followed your build. I have this skimmer on a 600 gal system. I feed heavily and it performs exceptionally well. Coralvue has good customer support, the skimmer is built well, and the bubble blaster pumps are easy to dismantle and clean.

Osteoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 09:02 PM   #821
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteoclast View Post
New to RC but have followed your build. I have this skimmer on a 600 gal system. I feed heavily and it performs exceptionally well. Coralvue has good customer support, the skimmer is built well, and the bubble blaster pumps are easy to dismantle and clean.
Glad to have you following along. What type of bioload do you have and what type of coral do you keep?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Unread 09/02/2012, 09:35 PM   #822
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I've been going back and forth on what skimmer I want to add to the system since the day is approaching where I'll need to get skimmer going with big tank tied in. Anyone's thoughts on the Super Reef XP8000 External? I think I'd like to have skimmer external to the system and not under any tank/stand so I have open access. I've loved my 3000 Internal SRO I have but it's only rated for 300 gallons so that is NOT going to cut it but I would like to keep it as a backup to the system to have some skimmer should a pump need cleaning or sending off for maintenance. Anyone have any experience with the large external Octopus?

8000 External
What about a BK? Great skimmer and very well built. Ask Jeremy in the BK thread. He should be able to recommend one.

Good job on the stand BTW!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 12:00 AM   #823
drummereef
Team RC Member

The stand turned out great!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 01:20 AM   #824
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
What about a BK? Great skimmer and very well built. Ask Jeremy in the BK thread. He should be able to recommend one.

Good job on the stand BTW!
Honestly don't have $5-10k for a skimmer and don't really want a divorce right now! For a comparable skimmer we're talking about an SRO for $1300 or the price I noted above and I honestly don't see what your paying for in the BKs. Maybe I'd consider the BK later down the road but I can't quite justify. I think the Vertex Alpha skimmers are of similar build quality with a much better price but the A300 is biggest and supports a 225-600 gallon tank.

Thanks for the compliments on stand BTW

Unread 09/03/2012, 01:25 AM   #825
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
The stand turned out great!
Thanks Brett. I've got to get another coat on in the morning and then I can call it for the stand. Once stand is in place I'll likely use the following under cabinet lights and put under the stands:

http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-LSP30K...cabinet+lights

Tags
atlantik, in-wall tank, indmas, leds, mixed reef, orphek, reefaholic