Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2016, 10:34 AM   #326
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well all done and I'm happy with the result. I've got loads of room now. Cheers Dave I'll hold off on more fish then

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 01:01 PM   #327
Nick James
Registered Member

Read through your entire thread. It's been very interesting and your photography skills have improved! One thing I used for bryopsis was peroxide. I mixed some in with baking soda and applied it directly on the bryopsis with the flow off. Seemed to work for spot killing one people have dosed it as well. I would research it thoroughly as it could kill off beneficial creatures as well of overdosed.

Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 02:05 PM   #328
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi nick, thanks for the info I'll have a good read of that. I have got to admit I am a little worried about adding peroxide to the tank, dont know why I feel this way , im probably just worried I would mess it up in a major way, but what the hell . I've tried nutmeg ! Lol

Unread 08/03/2016, 02:18 PM   #329
Blue spot
Registered Member

Oh and a small correction on one of the new fish. It's a lizard blenny , not a lizard fish. Or at least I hope it is.

Unread 08/03/2016, 02:40 PM   #330
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well that was a disaster my in sump quarantine tank has split an edge. Just had to catch all the fish and put them in the tank. Not to worried though I got them from my normal lfs who qt's for a month before sale so hopefully I should be ok. Qt off for repair !

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:57 AM   #331
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:58 AM   #332
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/04/2016, 11:59 AM   #333
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/04/2016, 12:01 PM   #334
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/04/2016, 12:02 PM   #335
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/04/2016, 12:50 PM   #336
Blue spot
Registered Member

Picture update . Sorry for some of the pics, lost the setting on my camera and completely forgot how to use it again so some pics are a little.. Shall we say... Brooding .
So this is my rescape. Not a look I would normally go for but its more functional than totally asthetic. The one end is the same (this is the end with the rod through) then I've gone for a more central block linked to the other end by a mini canyon. Fish can swim all the way around and the Rock is more central to my lights and lower down. Reason for this is the last scape I did went more to the back of the tank and left a lot of swimming space out front but . 1 when I placed corals they were to far back for the light and 2 the fish did a lot of swimming back and forth (not very interesting) . So far the fish seam better. I've got tons of space for corals as I can use all sides and the top of the rocks , so although I find it slightly ugly hopefully it will suit everything better.

Unread 08/04/2016, 01:46 PM   #337
ramasule
Registered Member

Looks nice, what is that fish at the end of your shots?

ramasule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 02:25 PM   #338
Blue spot
Registered Member

That's my happy mistake. A tasseled filefish. She's pretty big now, but a real character 1 eye is always on you. arrow head crabs are a definite no no, but so far everything else is ok. Small fish , anemone crabs, emerald crabs, blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp. I've read they can get to 10 inches , she's about 3 to 4 at the minute and has seamed to have slowed down on growth. I'm hoping that's it !

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:05 AM   #339
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hey nick , hope your still reading I've done some research on that baking soda and peroxide. Hopefully you can see that cleaner water and the mother of all sea hares has cleaned a lot up, but I still have a few stubborn spots that I would like to blitz. The thing I can't find is what concentration to use , do I just put it all together and squirt it on the area? Just wondering what you did. Any help greatly appreciated.

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:46 AM   #340
Blue spot
Registered Member

Can't believe I forgot to ask this question. When I was moving my rock I lifted a piece and this creature shot out and swam off . I didn't get a picture and i couldn't find it again. It looked like a long black worm of some discription but it moved very fast , it didn't have legs and swam like a snake I would say it was about a foot long. I have googled black worm like a ribbon and the closest thing I can find surprisingly is something called a ribbon worm. I've never seen anything like it before, and I'm familiar with a bobbit worm so at first thought it might be one of these , but definitely not. Does this sound about right for a ribbon worm? Again it moved really fast (and I nearly had a heart attack when this thing shot out)

Unread 08/05/2016, 01:24 PM   #341
dave.m
Registered Member

Sounds like you've got one of those Tibetan flat black rock snakes of death. The black ones are the deadliest, of course. But really, there are literally thousands of types of marine worms. Best thing you can do is get an encyclopedia on invertebrates and look at the pictures.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 01:36 PM   #342
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
Can't believe I forgot to ask this question. When I was moving my rock I lifted a piece and this creature shot out and swam off . I didn't get a picture and i couldn't find it again. It looked like a long black worm of some discription but it moved very fast , it didn't have legs and swam like a snake I would say it was about a foot long. I have googled black worm like a ribbon and the closest thing I can find surprisingly is something called a ribbon worm. I've never seen anything like it before, and I'm familiar with a bobbit worm so at first thought it might be one of these , but definitely not. Does this sound about right for a ribbon worm? Again it moved really fast (and I nearly had a heart attack when this thing shot out)
Sounds like a ribbon worm to me.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 01:55 PM   #343
Blue spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
Sounds like a ribbon worm to me.
Cheers life of . Are the safe ? Reading I can't tell. Mind you don't think I'll find it again

Unread 08/05/2016, 01:58 PM   #344
Blue spot
Registered Member

Lol I have just seen your reply Dave and I am sure you will find that this is incorrect, I have an entirely Seperate system for my Tibetan marine life.

Unread 08/08/2016, 01:57 PM   #345
Blue spot
Registered Member

Ok so I promised I would be honest in this thread and normally I wouldn't admit this but.... I explained I was new to sps, well although my sps is alive it is not radiating any sort of colour other than green. Me being me was convinced it was my high nitrate phosphate level (I explained this and how I sorted it out). So my tank has been clean for a while now and no colour returning. So spoke to my lfs about it. Long story short I have my radions set on blue other than an hour a day ... I know... I know. Don't pan me. I have now changed the schedule to 12.5 k 2 hours, 10k 2 hours 13.5k 3 hours then blues. Shockingly I am now starting to get some colour ! I have read so much I can no longer see the obvious.
So after that dirty confession, the new layout. It's going great , fish swimming better and a lot more interesting to watch. I'm getting really good flow all around the tank, this has cleaned up some small particles I could see hanging in the water column and my corals have their sunscreen on basking in their +1 hour a day light. After all the byropsis and death I am again loving the tank.

Unread 08/08/2016, 03:58 PM   #346
ramasule
Registered Member

Brown / Green color is caused by more Zooxanthellae that are produced when light is low to get more energy.

So most likely you do not / did not have enough light for the SPS. I recommend a par meter to get good measurements for your tank and to optimize placement.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/seneye-reef-monitor.html

ramasule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2016, 02:59 AM   #347
Blue spot
Registered Member

A week on and everything is doing ok. Fish have settled and set up territories . I have removed the blue spot house so that I can put this back at a later date and nobody has already claimed it . Corals are colouring up and I'm learning what corals go where again , I've put some new coral frags in and they are still nice and colourful at the minute. Byropsis , I had a few tiny visible bits left, no doubt their could be more hiding, but I found my sea hare, put him on the Rock and he's sorted that out. I also had one coral smothered in byropsis, but it was housing my crab colony , I've put this in a shady spot and the byropsis has also gone from this. I'm not going to say I've beaten the byropsis as its still early days but I have to search to find any now. Whether it's the tank aging, the water being cleaned up, the lack of light, the sea hare , the new sump lights or a combination of all this I do not know. But I'm hoping this is a success story for anyone battling the stuff.
Triton method I am now settling in to the only trouble I was left with was low ph, but since the new sump light and the change in light schedule in the main display this has settled at dropping to 7.97 on a night. It's not 8.2 but I'm good with this. I have also sent off my first water sample so that is going to be interesting.
So what next ? Reintroduce the blue spot , I would still like to try a pair if I can. And now I'm going to concentrate on sps coral growth and colour, I can keep them alive, just want to see if I can get them growing now.
Never mentioned the sump light , I've gone for a 6500K grow light in the sump, my cheato was sort of flat and lifeless but now it's starting to perk up a little. Can't remember the exact name of the light but I'll get a pictur of it. Oh and I'm hoovering out my sump next weekend to give this a spring clean .

Unread 08/16/2016, 12:18 PM   #348
Blue spot
Registered Member

The tests are back ! Well how interesting is this. Really impressed with the level of report and help that it gives you. 2 main things to sort out , boron is extremely elevated and iodine is non existent. Strange because I dose and test for iodine , but obviously I am doing something wrong. The report is really user friendly and tells me exactly what to do. Give me an instruction and I love it , it's up their for me with ikea flat pack building (love it). The other thing is my magnesium and calcium are higher than I measure . so I'm of by a value of 60 on the calcium, this is good for me to know for when I am testing the water myself. The one good thing is that my Hannah checkers are spot on so I can rely on these readings. All in , very interesting and very useful I would recommend giving it a go even if it's just once to see how you compare against a super computer.

Unread 08/20/2016, 04:19 PM   #349
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hoovering complete. I have taken every piece of equipment out of the sump and cleaned it today. Bit heavy going , but I'm pleased with the results now it's done.
Fish wise everything is happy , apart from one of my banngai cardinals who sadly died today. I think it was natural causes ? 3 years, from what I read this is about right for a cardinal ? Well their were no marks or anything he was just sat on the bottom and then died a little later. Feel a bit sorry for his mate , she sat gaurding him until he died .
Corals again doing well , sps is colouring up , my alveopora and goniopora is going mad since I moved to triton, really extended and looking lovely. Lps is looking a little tired in some places, I think I need to find new places now the lighting has increased , plus my water is cleaner so this might be effecting it also.
So after all this I'm going to keep my water as stable as possible then look to see about getting a new blue spot. I miss Bert !

Unread 09/03/2016, 11:51 AM   #350
Blue spot
Registered Member

my fish are acting strange for the last 2 days. it's 2 cardinals I have had for some time now.the one is keeping the other in one spot in the tank. Cant figure out if its aggression or courtship. the fish being kept in place has not been bitten or anything ? what do you think ??

https://youtu.be/CZIGgV8Dc6Y

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef