Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2015, 10:10 PM   #1
TJ007
Registered Member

Smile Saddle Valentini Puffer

I LOVE puffers. I was reading about the saddle valentini and they are listed as "peaceful" and don't require near as big of tank as most.. i am going to set up a 20gal nano and wanted to incorporate one in my tank. Anybody have experience keeping one? I would love to hear about it! Also Would one do okay with a pair of clown fish?

TJ007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central!

Here is the recommended requirements of this wonderful little fish.

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Black, Blue, Orange, Tan, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Hawaii, Indonesia, Sumatra
Family: Tetraodontidae

This said IMO you will need a little bit larger tank to keep this guy. What happens when a fish is in a tank that's too small is it creates aggression on the part of that particular fish, even if they aren't aggressive to begin with.

With that said Petco is having their $ per gallon sale starting this weekend and usually runs for a month. YOu can get a 30 gal for $30 and not have any different requirements on your tank equipment.

A pair of clownfish along with this one will be fine in a 30 but maybe not so much in a 20. Going just that 10 gal difference opens up a lot of different choices for you over the 20.

Good luck in whatever you decide on and enjoy the site. Make sure you read the stickies at the top of each forum as they contain much information. There is always someone willing to offer advice so your animals are very happy!

Welcome!

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2015, 11:49 PM   #3
TJ007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
Welcome to Reef Central!

Here is the recommended requirements of this wonderful little fish.

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Black, Blue, Orange, Tan, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Hawaii, Indonesia, Sumatra
Family: Tetraodontidae

This said IMO you will need a little bit larger tank to keep this guy. What happens when a fish is in a tank that's too small is it creates aggression on the part of that particular fish, even if they aren't aggressive to begin with.

With that said Petco is having their $ per gallon sale starting this weekend and usually runs for a month. YOu can get a 30 gal for $30 and not have any different requirements on your tank equipment.

A pair of clownfish along with this one will be fine in a 30 but maybe not so much in a 20. Going just that 10 gal difference opens up a lot of different choices for you over the 20.

Good luck in whatever you decide on and enjoy the site. Make sure you read the stickies at the top of each forum as they contain much information. There is always someone willing to offer advice so your animals are very happy!

Welcome!
Thanks so much! I will def look into that tank sale. I want to keep everybody happy Super excited to get it up and running

TJ007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 01:09 AM   #4
tennesseebob
Registered Member

+1 on the tank upgrade, a 29g is the same footprint as a 20g long, i have had 3 of them for various reasons, sumps, quarantines, nano. I have drilled 2 of them so that is plenty possible. And they take the same length equipment, so if you already have parts like lights and stuff, should all fit.

Ive got one of those really pitiful Aqueon Modular LED fixtures for them, dunno what im gonna do with it lol...Quarantine tank i guess lol, acclimate fish to my DT lights or something.

Skimz Monzter SM201

Current Tank Info: 48",24",30" 150g tall
tennesseebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 05:39 AM   #5
toothybugs
In Memoriam

I have a Valentini/ Saddled Toby in my 40 B and that little fish has the most personality out of everybody, including the clowns. My wife calls him Petey for some reason. "He" is always the first to make new friends with visitors and frequently will timidly approach the fingers of a new person to nibble some food, and will actively watch you from a quiet corner out of the flow. He plays in the waves, catching a couple bobs before ducking under the line of current to run forward and do it again. My personal favorite, when adding new CUC he'll approach cautiously, eye me, eye the new addition, eye me, eye the new addition, eye me... then take a quick peck and run away because I'll swat at him.

Mine's perfectly safe in my reef. Hasn't hardly touched a snail outside of a curious peck or two and never chased a shrimp. I also feed 2-3x a day.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothybugs View Post
I have a Valentini/ Saddled Toby in my 40 B and that little fish has the most personality out of everybody, including the clowns. My wife calls him Petey for some reason. "He" is always the first to make new friends with visitors and frequently will timidly approach the fingers of a new person to nibble some food, and will actively watch you from a quiet corner out of the flow. He plays in the waves, catching a couple bobs before ducking under the line of current to run forward and do it again. My personal favorite, when adding new CUC he'll approach cautiously, eye me, eye the new addition, eye me, eye the new addition, eye me... then take a quick peck and run away because I'll swat at him.

Mine's perfectly safe in my reef. Hasn't hardly touched a snail outside of a curious peck or two and never chased a shrimp. I also feed 2-3x a day.
I think you have just talked me into getting one

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Unread 06/26/2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Damn! now that I start reading about them I find they aren't reef safe.

Unread 06/26/2015, 10:08 AM   #8
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Not 100%, no. Definitely "with caution" - mine pecks at new snails if I introduce them during light hours. Otherwise no problem.

A buddy of mine who works for a very prominent marine supplier loves them as well. Lots of personality.

Unread 06/26/2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
I think you have just talked me into getting one

DK you definitely need to get some kind of puffer. Currently, I have 6 puffers in my house haha. Valentini, 2 striped burrfish, and 3 figure 8( brackish). Most people have no problems with valentinis as far as corals are concerned. They will pick at snails, shrimp, and hermits though. As well as clams.

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 03:53 PM   #10
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I've got no clams or shrimp and the few hermits I've got.. well lets just say I'm not really attached to them. I'll keep reading on them over the next few days and come up with a final decision. but Martini5788 I'm having to agree with you

Unread 06/26/2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Martini5788
Registered Member

You won't regret it

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 08:16 PM   #12
toothybugs
In Memoriam

I'm with Martini... you could always take it out and set up a 30 FOWLR

Tags