Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2017, 02:16 PM   #1
eazyreef
Registered Member

Question USB 3/C for LED Power

I have been away for the hobby for a couple of years and now have some time to throw myself back in. I am building my won LED's and have a power question.

First off, the power and meanwells are going to be separate from the hood and I was looking for a slick way to connect the controller to the LED's in the hood. I can get just the hardware but was wondering has anyone used usb connectors to wire up the controller to the hood.

If not, what did you use and how did it look.

Thank you...

www.eazyreef.com
eazyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 05:18 AM   #2
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyreef View Post
I have been away for the hobby for a couple of years and now have some time to throw myself back in. I am building my won LED's and have a power question.

First off, the power and meanwells are going to be separate from the hood and I was looking for a slick way to connect the controller to the LED's in the hood. I can get just the hardware but was wondering has anyone used usb connectors to wire up the controller to the hood.

If not, what did you use and how did it look.

Thank you...
I've never used USB as a connector on any projects without following the standard. I'm sure it would work, but you just have to make sure you don't have someone in the house that at some point could see a USB port and plug something into it...
I've used a CAT5 for a similar purpose and it worked nicely, but this was for a small (<50W) led setup, how much current would you be pulling through the cable?
How many pins do you need?

Digikey/mouser also have a wide range of cables and connectors that you could use depending on your power and pin needs.

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 06:24 AM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I would try to avoid using any connector with a standard unless implementing that standard, but especially USB C, given the lack of consistency from cable to cable in terms of how the standard is implemented. You may already know this, but a "real" USB C cable isn't just a bunch of wires in a sheath, there's circuitry built in that helps implement the standard. And manufacturers aren't behaving consistently in terms of how they do that, so you may be fine with one cable, but have issues with another.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 08:48 AM   #4
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

USB C 3.1, as der_wille_zur_macht mentioned, is an active cable, which means it has logic and drivers embedded in the cable end overmolds. The connectors are common now, but you're designing your own PCB in order to use them.

Standard USB cables can be super shoddy internally with bare-minimum wiring, and aren't going to handle even half an amp particularly well. I'd also second to recommendation of avoiding mixups of connectivity.

So can you do it? Yes. Should you? You'd be ok with proper USB cables using the power pair (the data pair will generally be small by design) - thats what Neptune does with AquaBus (CAN over USB data pairs), but they keep AquaBus at 5V so nothing terrible will happen when you jam in your laptop by mistake.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 08:56 PM   #5
eazyreef
Registered Member

Thank you for the replies. The plan was to get the connectors and wire them myself using something like cat 6 cabling. I need 5 lines (10 strands) to control the lights. I think the the night wattage will be the royal blue at about 24 watts. The rest are much lower wats.

www.eazyreef.com
Unread 05/15/2017, 08:57 PM   #6
eazyreef
Registered Member

Thank you for the replies. The plan was to get the connectors and wire them myself using something like cat 6 cabling. I need 5 lines (10 strands) to control the lights. I think that the most wattage will be the royal blue at about 24 watts. The rest are much lower wats.[/QUOTE]

www.eazyreef.com
Unread 05/15/2017, 09:15 PM   #7
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyreef View Post
Thank you for the replies. The plan was to get the connectors and wire them myself using something like cat 6 cabling. I need 5 lines (10 strands) to control the lights. I think that the most wattage will be the royal blue at about 24 watts. The rest are much lower wats.
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/1...FdWEswod8uMPTw

Personally find 22ga too small for long runs or higher power..
20ga is about minimum for me.. Trying to find 10 conductor 20ga isn't easy..
well in small quantities and reasonable per foot prices..
$2/ft is about max I'd pay for 10 conductor 20ga sheathed wire..

18ga solid is pretty stiff...

http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/t...FYaEswodYrEPww

Save money .. sheath it yourself..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-AWG-Gauge...38.m2548.l4275

25' 20ga stranded..10 colors..

Go figure.. found some..
http://www.pacergroup.net/shielded-m...FY-PswodTesMmg

well min. 25ft

Last edited by oreo57; 05/15/2017 at 09:24 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 04:57 AM   #8
eazyreef
Registered Member

Thank you very much. I am going to try the custom usb-3 connectors with the cable and let you know how it works.

It it works as hoped, it will be a clean and easy to use connection.

www.eazyreef.com
Unread 05/16/2017, 06:18 AM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

What connectors are you planning on using? (Do you have a link to the specific product?)

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 11:42 AM   #10
oreo57
Registered Member

FYI for wire junkies..

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/...FYW3wAodPfIKoQ
http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/...776c0b31de1bb4

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 04:29 PM   #11
eazyreef
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay, was thinking of using something like the following: