Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2018, 08:35 AM   #1
sjungdahl
Registered Member

Good Live rock

Doing the last tank in my lifetime. Just a 46 bow. Things have changed since my last tank. Can anyone give me a heads up on a good live rock supplier? Looking for good color.

Thanks
Scott

sjungdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 08:56 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Tampa Bay Saltwater

http://tbsaltwater.com/

Last edited by RobZilla04; 03/19/2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: link
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 10:18 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjungdahl View Post
Looking for good color.
Thats it? Not giving us much to go by..

Color (assuming you are talking about purple,etc... coralline growth will come with time (and proper conditions) on any rock be it "good" or not..

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:27 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Thats it? Not giving us much to go by..

Color (assuming you are talking about purple,etc... coralline growth will come with time (and proper conditions) on any rock be it "good" or not..
Everyone knows the best color rock comes from FL.

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:38 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Everyone knows the best color rock comes from FL.
Thats racist... err... wait..

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:49 AM   #6
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjungdahl View Post
Doing the last tank in my lifetime. Just a 46 bow. Things have changed since my last tank. Can anyone give me a heads up on a good live rock supplier? Looking for good color.

Thanks
Scott
Do you have any LFS in your area? Sometimes the stuff they have will work just fine. FWIW this is all I've ever used and I've got plenty of micro fauna, sponges, color etc. Also I didn't have to pay those ridiculous shipping costs either. Just something to think about. GL.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 04:41 AM   #7
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Do you have any LFS in your area? Sometimes the stuff they have will work just fine. FWIW this is all I've ever used and I've got plenty of micro fauna, sponges, color etc. Also I didn't have to pay those ridiculous shipping costs either. Just something to think about. GL.

My dream is to one day start a tank with TBS rock. The LFS’s in my area has pitiful looking live rock. It looks more like dead rock that’s just been sitting in saltwater. I’ve gotten some cherry fiji LR in the past but it seems hard to find good live rock now a days. If you want LIVE rock, I’d go with TBS. if you want rock with just coralline, some feather dusters and sponge, most rock would do. In my latest build, I used mostly dry rock and just seeded it with a few pieces of “live rock” from my LFS. It’s also been getting seeded with stuff off snail shells and coral. I ordered a maricultured colony that has some cool sponge and other life under it. I also have several different types of feather duster spreading through the tank. It certainly takes longer, but it works and is cheaper and better than what my LFS has.

Again though, if money was no object and I didn’t mind having to get rid of some pest crabs and stuff, I’d use TBS all the way. The rock I’ve seen from them is just incredible.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 02:49 PM   #8
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
My dream is to one day start a tank with TBS rock. The LFS’s in my area has pitiful looking live rock. It looks more like dead rock that’s just been sitting in saltwater. I’ve gotten some cherry fiji LR in the past but it seems hard to find good live rock now a days. If you want LIVE rock, I’d go with TBS. if you want rock with just coralline, some feather dusters and sponge, most rock would do. In my latest build, I used mostly dry rock and just seeded it with a few pieces of “live rock” from my LFS. It’s also been getting seeded with stuff off snail shells and coral. I ordered a maricultured colony that has some cool sponge and other life under it. I also have several different types of feather duster spreading through the tank. It certainly takes longer, but it works and is cheaper and better than what my LFS has.

Again though, if money was no object and I didn’t mind having to get rid of some pest crabs and stuff, I’d use TBS all the way. The rock I’ve seen from them is just incredible.
This is how we make our customers happy!

from a customer shipped this week....

Good Morning Debbie and Richard,

I would like to start by saying how pleased I am with my first shipment of the "Package". I received my packages and was extremely satisfied with how everything was packed, no leaks! The sand and live rock were teaming with life and colors. After a week of cycling where my ammonia never rised above 1 ppm and has been at .25 or zero for three days I believe I am ready for the second part of the Package.

Thanks,
DeWayne

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote