Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2012, 07:54 AM   #451
h2so4hurts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
While I welcome all opinions, one from someone with 70 total posts that has no idea of someones situation & probably has little to no experience in reefing...
Wow. Really? profanity removed I read your whole thread. You didn't QT your fish and you infected your entire system. You're the one with a 750 gallon disease factory on your hands now because of your own incompetence. What more is there to know? I see this time and time again in the disease forum. People spend thousands of dollars on a system and then rush to dump fish in it. We're supposed to feel sorry for you because you're impatient and killed a bunch of innocent animals? You thought kick ich was going to fix your problem? 2x

If you think a 150w UV sterilizer and an ozonizer is going to "cure" your ich problem, I suggest you do a little more research on ich, it's life cycle, and how to actually cure your tank. Hint: You're going to need a hospital tank for at least 8 weeks.

BTW, I'm a virologist and a major research university. I know a little something about these things, good luck with your tank.

Last edited by Nanook; 08/22/2012 at 10:37 AM.
h2so4hurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 08:19 AM   #452
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the money, I have absolutely no more room to set up a QT system. While I welcome all opinions, one from someone with 70 total posts that has no idea of someones situation & probably has little to no experience in reefing...

I really do not see the difference in me paying a little more for a fish that a company will QT for me. This company is a large company with a filtration & QT system that makes mine look like a puddle.

This is not a little 2 employee fish shop. This is a large tank maintenance company that will soon be filmed for a fish show. His QT system is something to see. All fish are medicated & left in QT for 6 weeks b/f they are put into any tank.

So tell me, what is the difference?
I wish I had access to a QT like that!

it's better than QT'ing yourself, as there are always losses

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 08:29 AM   #453
AJT
Registered Member

OK, so lets get back to what is the difference in having a company QT my fish & me doing it?

BTW I did not ask anyone to feel sorry for me.

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 08:49 AM   #454
AJT
Registered Member

H2,

you hit a sore spot & got off topic. You assume I do not have a quarenteen system because I am too cheap or lazy to set it up. You know nothing about me.

In 35 yrs I have never had an outbreak like that. Many of my fish were 12 yrs old.

You want to start talking about responsibility... You have a Morish idol, everyone knows that Morish idols are best left to the ocean. Very rarely does one thrive in captivity.

not survive, thrive.

I welcome all constructive criticism, I would appreciate it to be constructive.

Maybe it is just better you post on someone elses thread & get off mine.

Unread 08/22/2012, 08:52 AM   #455
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
I wish I had access to a QT like that!

it's better than QT'ing yourself, as there are always losses
That is what i am thinking. Let him feed, medicate & house the fish. Like you said there may be losses.

Unread 08/22/2012, 10:13 AM   #456
h2so4hurts
Registered Member

Keep digging your hole, son.

I suggest you look at other large builds from people that actually know what they are doing. Every single one has a quarantine system as a cornerstone of the build.

The problem with Idols is that most people are like you, they get an Idol, throw it in their barely established tank, and then ***** when it starves to death in 6 months. Some of us have large QT systems and protocols for establishing hard to keep fish in their reef tanks. Given the proper environment and nutrition, keeping an idol is very doable. But I only have 71 posts on ReefCentral, I must have no clue what I'm talking about.

Unread 08/22/2012, 10:29 AM   #457
AJT
Registered Member

Look bud, I am not your son.

You have no idea who I am. Its funny, I have been on this site for yrs & have had many constructive conversations with people. You are the first that is annoying.

Please get off my thread.

Unread 08/22/2012, 10:38 AM   #458
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 11:21 AM   #459
rishma
Registered Member

Man I hated to read that you suffered such fish loses. I really hate loosing fish. I last lost my long time pair of sunburst anthias during my recent move. still eats at me.

QT is a real pain. If I had a connection with someone who would do the QT proerly for me I would jump on it. What a great deal.

That said, I am very conerned about how to ensure your tank is disease free. I hate for you to introduce new fish from your QT connection and have them get ich. I believe it will still be in your tank as long as you have fish in there to host it, even if they show no signs of it and the UV/Ozone helps manage it. The only way I know to rid your tank of ich is to let is sit fallow for 8 weeks. That is not practical, you'd have to capture and remove your remaining fish.

I dont know much about velvet. The disease forum has some very knowledgable contributors. I suggets you get some input over there.

Best of luck

rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 11:24 AM   #460
AJT
Registered Member

Thanks,

Everyone else in the tank is doing fine & never showed symptoms. Yes I know that does not mean anything & the parasite is still there. Just no way to catch the remaining fish & get them out.....

Unread 08/22/2012, 12:44 PM   #461
djd
Registered Member

Hi
Well for what its worth since i only have what 10 posts = not qualifed
after 20 years in this dare i say Hobby and at least 30 grand into it adding all up

H2O is absolutely correct and wish i had his advise 10 years ago would have saved me alot of hassle and dead animals , Not sure bi would have listen to him , So i went with the guys who said they would QT in their tanks before i got them

Didnt go to plan

I invested into my own Qt systen and learned the routine and have never looked back , only to wish i had LISTENED = school of hard knocks ,

Welcome aboard .. But i know not a thing dont ya know ! Only 10 posts

djd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 02:43 PM   #462
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
Hi
Well for what its worth since i only have what 10 posts = not qualifed
after 20 years in this dare i say Hobby and at least 30 grand into it adding all up

H2O is absolutely correct and wish i had his advise 10 years ago would have saved me alot of hassle and dead animals , Not sure bi would have listen to him , So i went with the guys who said they would QT in their tanks before i got them

Didnt go to plan

I invested into my own Qt systen and learned the routine and have never looked back , only to wish i had LISTENED = school of hard knocks ,

Welcome aboard .. But i know not a thing dont ya know ! Only 10 posts
What a day. H2 & I have worked out our differences off board. I was probably a little touchy on the subject & he probably could have said things in a different way.

We have moved on.

My last 200 gallon had fish for 12 yrs in it. I never bought more fish because they got so big there was no more room so QT was not something I thought about or worried about.

I AGREE QT IS A GOOD THING. I just flat out have NOWHERE to put another tank. I might see if I can set another 90 gal in my office & use it for QT. My last office 90 gallon had the bottom crack on a weekend & 90 gallons of water ran thru the offices. Not a good thing.

You would think there is room under the stand, but there is not....

I said alot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have.

10 posts= I will always listen to constructive criticism.

When you have never had a disease problem in 30+ yrs, you get hard headed & think it is not necessary.

My head has gotten softer.

Thanks

Unread 08/23/2012, 06:14 PM   #463
cameronpalte
Registered Member

Interesting lighting especially with the 20 fixtures really neat!

cameronpalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 07:25 PM   #464
pgaudreau
Registered Member

Sorry about your loss

Hurricane wilma in Florida kept me on the side line for years. We were unfortunately without power for 20 days and even though I had a generator to run part of the house and at that time had a new born fresh out of the hospital my 225 gallon tank crashed and my fish collection and reef was a complete loss. When I say complete loss, I mean a clarion angel, two conspiculatus, three black tangs, 2 purple tangs, desjardini, pairs of wrasses, declevis butterfly you name it it all went down hard and I was in my closet sucking my thumb for a bout a month. I now only have a 265 gallon reef, but I have found a spot to set up a 40 gallon breeder and every fish I bring in spends 6 weeks in the holiday inn qt before they get moved. I have had not had a loss with the qt method and I have introduced new fish in qt that would have never made it in the main tank as they were obviously sick and needed medicating to come around that would have wiped out my main tank. I know its hard and more work, and in my case my wife asking me why we need two tanks but when you are spending all that money on fish that is the only way to protect your animals, good luck.

pgaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2012, 07:00 AM   #465
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Man just keep your head up. Everyone's situation is unique and everyone should accept it. People succeed and fail with a QT and without a QT. Nothing is guaranteed. Everyone feels for you but realize its just opinions. You have a beautiful tank and when you come up it will be just as or more beautiful.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2012, 02:59 PM   #466
alton
Registered Member

I use a 100 rubbermaid tub with a power head and pond foam filter. Like you I went years without ever losing anything to disease then I made the mistake of moving a fish into my sump and I lost several fish. Today if they are small into an QT aquarium they go, or if they are large they go into the tub.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMP IN TUB 8-30-2011.jpg (45.3 KB, 134 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 03:26 PM   #467
wgraham
Registered Member

Hello I'm starting a 300 gallon tank and was wondering, I have a 135 and a 90 gallon with fish already in it that I'm going to transfer to the 300. My question is do I qt the fish before I put in the 300. I started a 40 gallon qt tank last week for any new addition I add to the tank. Just want to know do I qt the old fish

wgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 03:44 PM   #468
bullitr
broke but happy

If you don't have anything good to say
Don't say it and attack the OP this is his thread , his tank, his money so back off.
Constructive criticism is fine but that is not a constructive criticism it's a attack.
If you can do it better that start your own thread .

Some of the very nice build losses their interest posting here because of unnecesary post.

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 03:49 PM   #469
Robb in Austin
Registered Member

@wgraham: I'd say, if you dont have any issues now then there is no need to QT when moving to the new tank. QT is mostly for new additions.

Robb in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2012, 07:02 PM   #470
Made2Rock
Registered Member

I had been slowly stocking my tank for some time pulling each fish thru QT. I had a Powder Blue that took over 3 mths to get pass my QT routine. To me if I even think you may have rubbed up against something the clock starts over but after 3 mths the PBT had made it a full 6 wks. then like I said I was working on my last few fish one of which was a majestic angel. While around the time I place the ordered for the thes fish I notice a spot on the PBT. So I watched and it would have a spot or two and they would go away and then a different couple of spots would show up. I used Wet Wed Media and did some research and found what looked like the problem of different type of potozan and it fit. So I watch some more and then after about 3 mths I decided this wasn't ich. So I put the 3-4 fish I had in QT into the DT and within 1-2 weeks it killed everything I had except 3 fish.

That was about 6 mths ago and I bugged me to the point I didn't move forward. I'm planning a move and figured I'll wait but next time the UV will be able to clean any thing that happens. Of interest is the fact that I am planning a tank about the size of yours and was thinking about a pair of 80 watt UVs. So I am a big believer in a QT but I also believe a UV and Ozone will do wonders for keeping things in line in the DT.

Good Luck
Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2012, 07:29 PM   #471
Made2Rock
Registered Member

I just look at the specs on the UV and was thinking about some of the questions you asked and here is some food for thought.

The protozoa rate is 840 gallons per hour. This is the rate you want to kill ich. So if you were to run it at this rate is WILL NOT DO YOUR ENTIRE TANK. I'm was looking as a paper someone had wrote and when you figure in the fact the "treated" water comes back in and is mixed with the untreated wtaer it takes more time to get a high % of water treated (I'm thinking it will be about 12 hours in your case to reach over 99%). Now if you were to run this an hour per week. it would hold down your bacteria population but not do to much BUT if you see some sign that you might have a problem tunr it on 100% of the time. This way you have the ability to treat the water for something like ICH but you are not using it so much it kills off your pods.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2012, 09:16 AM   #472
AJT
Registered Member

Thanks for the posts guys.

Everything is doing GREAT! Had a freind QT a bunch of new fish for 6 weeks & now everything is back in tank. Not a spot on blue tang in 6 weeks.
I will get some shots this weekend.

Last water test
Am,no2, & no3 = 0
PO4 = 0 Hanna
ALK 8.24 hanna
ca 450

UV is running 24 / 7 right now. I do not think pods are getting to the UV as i am sure the thick sponge keeps them from circulating. Hopefully the 8,000 that I added into the tank has them reproducing in the tank as well as the sump.

I have been adding Phyto to the water & turning off skimmer & UV for 24 hrs when added.

Still love the LED sols. Corals growing fast.

Unread 10/12/2012, 10:59 AM   #473
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:

Still love the LED sols. Corals growing fast.
I'll post new pics if you post new pics

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2012, 11:47 AM   #474
AJT
Registered Member

Sunday is "my" day at the house so i will get some more practice with that macro lens.

I'll be on the look out for your pics David!

Unread 10/12/2012, 12:12 PM   #475
fixmgood
Registered Member

Really nice setup.I am in the process of setting up a new tank 480 gallons with a 200 gallon sump.I am also running the PM skimmer and I was curious as to how you have it plumbed.The outlet is much higher than what they recommend,from my discussions with the manufacturer they tell me that this will reduce performance,on my old system I raised it a little, but with the new system I was planning on doing what you are,as it will work better for me.Can you please show me some pics as to how you plumbed into the sump and are you having any performance issues.Are you gravity feeding or do you have a pump pushing water into it.Thanks for any help you can give.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote