Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Guatney
Registered Member

Question How to start my 80g?

So after 6 months of my low-tech 17 gallon, I gave in to buy an 80 gallon non-drilled aquarium used. Yes it now has occurred to me that drilled is better. So I have my 80 gallon, a 40 gallon (future sump) and no idea where to start with my build.

A.) In your opinion, should I drill the top corners or do an overflow to connect the sump? and is PVC pipe or plastic tubing better? how do i keep a flood from occurring?

B.) what kind of lights would you recommend for an 80 gallon reef if I don't plan on trying SPS corals?

C.) Should I invest in Echo Marine MP powerheads or just go with basic ones?

Guatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2014, 04:51 PM   #2
nlgill13
Registered Member

A) I would drill a hole or two...you will want to decide what type of drain you want: Herbie, Bean, Durso, etc... Once you have decide what type of drain you will want to figure out what size drain and bulkhead/s you want b/c this will determine what size hole you will need to drill. As for pvc vs tubing...either will work, I personally like pvc b/c I don't have to think about it leaking.

In the link below I explain how to chose a return pump to prevent flooding
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2395922

B) As for lights since you don't want SPS you can go with either T5s, LEDs, MH, or a combo of these. I would suggest getting the best you can afford in case you ever decide to do SPS.

C) I think your saying Ecotech powerheads, they are not necessary. I do have them but I got a screaming deal on them. If you are interested in wave maker powerheads that are affordable you should look at Jebao WP series.

Unread 03/30/2014, 08:01 PM   #3
youngfish
Registered Member

A.) PVC pipe is better

B.) I would recommend LED lights, it is the trend and it is almost proven. it is cheap these days too.

C.) Just look at your budget. Ecotech pump rocks but other pumps can also do fine. I have ecotech pumps and couldn't be happier.

youngfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2014, 11:19 PM   #4
ThreeMoneyJ
Registered Member

A) Drill baby drill! It may seem a bit daunting at first, but it's surprisingly easy. When I drilled my tank I got the overflow box, drill bits, and all plumbing supplies from bulk reef supply. I would go with 2 1in drains using a herbie syphon and then a 3rd 1in for your return. (You won't have to buy a ton of drill bits, just the ones for the 1in bulkheads). I used PVC all the way for my drain, and vinyl tube for my return.

B) I'm a fan if the reef breeders photon LED's. But try to see different lights running on actual tanks and choose what pleases your eyes and budget.

C) I love the Ecotech powerheads, but they sure are pricey! If you can afford them I say do it! I could only afford 1 in 1 of my tanks The rest of my powerheads are jebao which I am also happy with.

Tags
80 gallon, diy, reef aquarium, setup, sump