Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2014, 11:26 AM   #1
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

GFO and Chaeto?

I recently put about 1/4 of a TLF150 reactor of GFO online to get my phosphate down from .30 in my reef tank. I previously only had chaeto as my phosphate binder. The chaeto was in my "refugium" section of my sump, that had live rock. The refugium section is not that tall, so the chaeto sits on the live rock and doesnt tumble.

My phosphate dropped to .10 with the GFO, but my corals are all receded and some have base tissue necrosis.

Is it necessary to have both GFO and chaeto online for PO4 removal? If chaeto isnt growing from the nutrients, will it die and leach PO4 and other bad stuff into the tank, affecting the corals?

I am thinking of pulling it out

Unread 06/06/2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Cymonous
My Clown Attacks Me

You can run both. Did you rinse the GFO first before allowing it to run through your tank?

Current Tank Info: 2 False Percula Clowns, One Spot Foxface, Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, Engineer Goby
Cymonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 12:49 PM   #3
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

I rinsed it, but probably not as much I should. I'm going to set up a GFO rinsing station where I can just plug the reactor in, with GFO and get it nice and clean.

Unread 06/06/2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Cymonous
My Clown Attacks Me

The easiest way is to change your gfo with water changes. Change out your gfo first, then run the drain line from your reactor to a bucket. Let that run for about 2 or so gallons. Remove the rest of the water you are doing for a water change, then put in your new saltwater.

Current Tank Info: 2 False Percula Clowns, One Spot Foxface, Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, Engineer Goby
Cymonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 02:18 PM   #5
jharding08
BlueWorldAquatics.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymonous View Post
The easiest way is to change your gfo with water changes. Change out your gfo first, then run the drain line from your reactor to a bucket. Let that run for about 2 or so gallons. Remove the rest of the water you are doing for a water change, then put in your new saltwater.
Much better than two buckets

Tags
chaeto, coral, gfo, refugium, sump