Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2014, 05:17 PM   #1
dward0487
Registered Member

Sealing Corners in AIO Tanks and Sumps

In doing my research for my AIO tank build, I came across something that's been on my mind for a while now, and I haven't found any information that seems to deal with it specifically (at least not in much detail)...

When adding baffles to a sump, or building an overflow inside an AIO tank, the corner of the panel you are inserting (whether it's glass or acrylic) will come in contact with the silicone seal along the edge of the tank. Let's say you're putting an "over" baffle into a sump... The bottom corners of that baffle are going to press against the silicone seam that holds the side of the tank to the floor of the tank. Given what I've read about how new silicone does not bond to old silicone, how does this seal work when you adhere the panel? It seems that the only thing blocking the water at this specific point is the corner of the panel pressing up against the silicone. There is no surface to which to adhere the corner, other than the surface created by the silicone seam. If your new silicone won't bond to this old silicone seam, how does it remain watertight? I understand that with sump baffles, it's not a huge issue if it's not completely watertight, but if this were an overflow/false wall in an AIO tank, it becomes a bigger deal. Can someone help me out with this? It has obviously worked for a large number of people, but what makes it work?

dward0487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2014, 05:42 PM   #2
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Radius the corners of the baffle. Use the silicone - it might not stick perfectly but once reef life grows on it, it will plug up good enough. Since there is an almost equal depth of water on the other side there is not much leak pressure.

Unread 07/07/2014, 05:58 PM   #3
dward0487
Registered Member

Yes, I'm asking with regard to building a 36"x16" false wall in a glass tank which will create a hidden sump inside the tank. I figured that with the fairly equal pressure, it might not be that big of a deal...

I am strongly leaning toward acrylic for this purpose, as I can get a black sheet and negate the need for painting that I would have with glass. However, I don't think I'll be using a silicone like RTV 108... I have heard good things about an adhesive known as E-6100, which is a thicker adhesive that has been shown to strongly adhere acrylic to glass. It shouldn't have any mildew-resistant additives in it, so I believe it will be reef-safe once fully cured.

As is true of most DIYers, I just want to find the most efficient and reliable means of achieving the design I want. I appreciate your comments and advice!

dward0487 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, aio, glass, silicone, sump