Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2017, 12:51 PM   #1
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

200 gallon tank how many gph

I am setting up a 200 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump, how many times should I turn over my tank? Also what's a good return pump and how many gph should that be? Also what overflow box? Thanks!

KeeganMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 01:10 PM   #2
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-...pump-5000.html Will this one work? 1321 gph

Unread 05/10/2017, 01:15 PM   #3
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CS202...xHzRoCenfw_wcB

With this 1500 overflow box? I'm kinda clueless about this :/

Unread 05/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #4
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Turnover through the sump only needs about 3-5x the system volume, so somewhere in the 700-900 gph would be fine for return flow. The Eheim Compact+ 3000 is a good, fairly inexpensive pump that comes to mind, though you have many options. Turnover within the tank itself via power heads would be a little different and varies depending on what's in the tank.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:13 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
Turnover through the sump only needs about 3-5x the system volume, so somewhere in the 700-900 gph would be fine for return flow. The Eheim Compact+ 3000 is a good, fairly inexpensive pump that comes to mind, though you have many options. Turnover within the tank itself via power heads would be a little different and varies depending on what's in the tank.
yep... 3-5x sump should be plenty.. some run up to 10x no problem... 30-100x total flowrate (return plus powerheads)..
60-75+ is for high flow SPS tanks,etc..

as to overflow box... can the tank be drilled? IMO the hang on overflow boxes scare the crap out of me.. I could never sleep at night when I had one.. But they can be made "fairly" foolproof..
But a drilled tank (bean animal/coast to coast overflow box or whatever) is FAR superior..

Unread 05/10/2017, 02:24 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

HoB box bad: drilled overflow good.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:30 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
HoB box bad: drilled overflow good.
See... even a caveman agrees

Unread 05/11/2017, 07:20 AM   #8
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yep... 3-5x sump should be plenty.. some run up to 10x no problem... 30-100x total flowrate (return plus powerheads)..
60-75+ is for high flow SPS tanks,etc..

as to overflow box... can the tank be drilled? IMO the hang on overflow boxes scare the crap out of me.. I could never sleep at night when I had one.. But they can be made "fairly" foolproof..
But a drilled tank (bean animal/coast to coast overflow box or whatever) is FAR superior..
Ok I haven't done anything to my tank yet so I'll have to research how to drill the tank and such, I want the best I can get I just don't want my tank to break.

Unread 05/11/2017, 07:41 AM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

I like the Simplicity return pumps.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 08:06 AM   #10
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

http://www.glass-holes.com/1500-gph-...500blemkit.htm
Something like this? I think I'm starting to slowly understand!

Unread 05/11/2017, 08:10 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, something like that would work. Also take a look at modular marine overflows.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 05/11/2017, 08:11 AM   #12
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, something like that would work. Also take a look at modular marine overflows.
Awesome! Now I just need to figure out where exactly to drill the holes!

Unread 05/11/2017, 08:16 AM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The 'kits' all come with a drilling template (and some even come with the drill bit). Piece of advice: don't drill the tank until you have the overflow (from personal experience ).

Unread 05/11/2017, 08:22 AM   #14
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
The 'kits' all come with a drilling template (and some even come with the drill bit). Piece of advice: don't drill the tank until you have the overflow (from personal experience ).
Oh that's good! This is probably the most complicated part of getting my aquarium set up haha but I think when this is done then I'll start worrying about water parameters and all that good stuff!

Unread 05/11/2017, 08:31 AM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you want the "best" then read...
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
Note you only need the valve on the "full siphon channel" despite what the images show...

and if you aren't too handy then a box like this gets you 90% of the way there.. ok maybe 65% of the way there..
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ec...mGwRoCvLjw_wcB

Note that the "coast-coast" overflow box gives you the "best" surface skimming vs a box thats only 1 foot long or whatever.. The wider the box the better it will skim along the entire surface of your tanks length..
It only takes 2 pieces of 1/4" glass to make a full internal coast to coast.. Like here.. first pic I found on google..
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rspa..._1008.jpg.html

Unread 05/11/2017, 09:35 AM   #16
mako61
Registered Member

3-5x sump turnover ?
I thought the target was 3-5x turnover display tank water volume.

I have a red sea 525 @ around 500gph. Based on red sea docs it should be 1000gph. Which is 10x display.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 09:38 AM   #17
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
3-5x sump turnover ?

I thought the target was 3-5x turnover display tank water volume.

I have a red sea 525 @ around 500gph. Based on red sea docs it should be 1000gph. Which is 10x display.

I think they meant that the sump should turn the tank over by itself 3-5x the display and then the rest of the movement comes from power heads and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/11/2017, 10:25 AM   #18
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Flowrate through the sump should 3-10x display tank volume...

And I kind of doubt there is any real data to back that up other than maybe it came from suggested turn over rates with skimmers..

But in general many have used that as a guideline and not had any problems..
I've run FAR in excess of that too without issues that I could tell..

Unread 05/11/2017, 10:43 AM   #19
mako61
Registered Member

ok thats what i thought. I have around 5x display and was shooting for 10x but my manifold has a few too many turns and the red sea has a 3/4 return barb that also restricts flow.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 11:32 AM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have long targeted 3x display volume nominally through the sump ... and I am able to keep a successful tank. Folks who argue for higher rates seem unable to articulate cogent reasons for the higher flow rates; though they can make the same claim of a successful tank . Bottom line is that it seems to make little difference, so go with what works for you. BTW, some will also argue to match through flow with skimmer pump capacity. Makes little sense though.

Unread 05/11/2017, 12:49 PM   #21
KeeganMonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
I have long targeted 3x display volume nominally through the sump ... and I am able to keep a successful tank. Folks who argue for higher rates seem unable to articulate cogent reasons for the higher flow rates; though they can make the same claim of a successful tank . Bottom line is that it seems to make little difference, so go with what works for you. BTW, some will also argue to match through flow with skimmer pump capacity. Makes little sense though.

From my learnings I've found as long as the sump cycles the tank 3-5 times the rest of it can be circulated by a power head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
plumbing, plumbing layout, return plumbing, sump advice