Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2013, 06:49 AM   #51
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

I ground the cipro into fine powder with my master card, turned off the lights and mixed it into the tank.

I should change water after 24 hours. Do I need to dose again after water change? Or is it just one dosage?

I will turn on the lights in the morning and turn it off again at the same time.

Day 0, 8 pm taipei time: This is them in the QT
I have never seen mr green with his mouth gaping open before. Does he have a chance?

Last edited by Sparkpaul; 08/22/2013 at 07:05 AM.
Sparkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 08:32 AM   #52
OrionN
Moved on

Very nice tank

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 08:52 AM   #53
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

Is the gigantea dead?

Unread 08/22/2013, 10:48 AM   #54
OrionN
Moved on

No it is not bu un happy. Wait to see how he response

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/22/2013, 11:40 AM   #55
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

thank you for your response... i don't know how i became so attached to my anemone

Unread 08/22/2013, 10:22 PM   #56
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

Day 0, 15 hours: I just switched on the lights. This is Mr. Green and his mouth is closed so I can only guess he is doing better because his mesentry and pharynx are not showing.

I hope the light will do him some good.

This is the rbta

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377231675460.jpg (62.9 KB, 52 views)
Unread 08/23/2013, 02:32 AM   #57
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

Day 0, 20 hours:

Unread 08/23/2013, 03:25 AM   #58
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkpaul View Post
Day 0, 20 hours:

It's looking better! Keep it up. Follow the protocol exactly as stated in the sticky and you should be fine.

Unread 08/23/2013, 03:32 AM   #59
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

So i change 50% of the water, do i dose again after?

Unread 08/23/2013, 05:31 AM   #60
OrionN
Moved on

How much water in the treatment tank?
If you have 10 gal in the treatment tank, then change 5 gal and dose 250 mg Cipro. Cipro dissolves very easy so you don't have to ground it to a powder. Just hold it in your finger and rub it in front of the PH. It dissolves quickly in a min or so. The current will carry it to the rest of the tank.

Unread 08/23/2013, 05:32 AM   #61
OrionN
Moved on

He does look a lot better. Good luck with him.

Unread 08/23/2013, 07:29 AM   #62
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

After 24 hours before lights off.
How is he doing?

Last edited by Sparkpaul; 08/23/2013 at 08:17 AM.
Unread 08/26/2013, 02:39 PM   #63
saltwaterguy718
Moved On

I wanted to thank you for posting this. My gig that I just purchased last week had signs of being sick one day after putting him in my tank. I started treatment with cipro 2 days ago and he's looking 80% better already. This is a great thread that saved my anemone, I'm not out of the woods yet but the anemone is responding great to the treatment. Thank you!

saltwaterguy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 01:33 AM   #64
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

I'm having a pretty bad luck recently with anemones. Today, one walked into the powerhead. I put it in a quarantine box....He is pretty scratched up, should I treated with antibiotics too?

Unread 08/27/2013, 04:10 AM   #65
OrionN
Moved on

You may want to treat it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get infected. What kind of anemone? BTA?

Unread 08/27/2013, 04:48 AM   #66
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

I am not exactly sure what specimen this is. It's neon green bubble with purple dot on the tip.

Unread 08/27/2013, 06:20 AM   #67
AD87
Registered Member

Im still treating, and I am on day 10. I will try and post a picture tonight. Mouth is still wide open.

AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 08:06 AM   #68
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkpaul View Post
I am not exactly sure what specimen this is. It's neon green bubble with purple dot on the tip.

It's a BTA. They are usually hardy, and often survide getting torn up by PH often. It would not hurt to treat him until he start to heal up some.

Unread 08/27/2013, 05:56 PM   #69
AD87
Registered Member

Day 10 of treatment

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anenome 2.jpg (48.7 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Anenome.jpg (43.9 KB, 228 views)
Unread 08/30/2013, 06:30 PM   #70
AD87
Registered Member

Day 13 still looks the same. Should I move the anemone out of the qt and back into the display?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Unread 08/30/2013, 06:59 PM   #71
OrionN
Moved on

If he does not deflates I would move him back to DT. Open mouth often does not mean that the anemone is sick. Open mouth in sick anemone is different than your's. sick anemone does not have fleshy thick lip like your anemone's mouth.

Unread 09/07/2013, 09:54 PM   #72
OrionN
Moved on

Another thread of me using Cipro to treat 3 Gigantea I got from Petco

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2329256

Unread 09/07/2013, 09:57 PM   #73
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD87 View Post
Day 13 still looks the same. Should I move the anemone out of the qt and back into the display?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Having open mouth does not always mean poor health. This is my Multicolor Gigantea that I got for almost 1.5 years at this time. He grew from 6 inches to 18 inches. Here is his mouth tonight. Often, it is even larger than this.

Unread 09/11/2013, 01:32 AM   #74
Tmoriarty
Registered Member

Hey Minh, long time no talk.

Been off the forums for almost 9 months after loosing well over 100 6month Black Photon clowns that were ready to go due to a skimmer pump melt down, but on to my problem.

So I have been keeping a Magnifica in my tank for about a year, healthy never had problems with it, never moved. I have many pictures of it posted somewhere on my other old posts but maybe you remember those Minh. Anyways about a week ago it decided to walk, managed to push aside the screen on my MP40 and got destroyed, took out two 2.5 Year old tangs with it (I believe from stings caused by the destroyed tentacles). Almost lost a couple other fish as well but was able to save them.

This last weekend I was in San Francisco and what would you know I see a good Purple based mag at some hole in the wall down town. The store was pretty gross and the nem was fairly large (12" column). While I know the success rate of larger mags is atrocious I couldn't pass up the chance to at least try, knowing that I had some ability and knowledge regarding treatment with antibiotics (I know I helped you a bit when you first started treatments with half life information caused by light and water, I see you have that information in this article which is awesome). Anyways I made the purchase and brought the beauty home.

Day 1-

No deflations, wasn't holding it self up as well as it should but looked fairly well in the Tank and wasn't moving.

Day 2-

No deflations for most of the day, about 9pm the tentacles began to look less full, I made sure I had everything I would need to begin treatment if needed.

Day 3-

Came home from work today with approx. 15% of the tentacles beginning to look stringy, the mouth was slightly open approx. .75 inches, I made the decision to begin setting up a treatment tank and move the magnifica into it tonight.

So here is the interesting part. I set the tank up which is a 10g with a sump return pump for flow. The tank is sitting in my broken 55g (kids broke it a little over a month ago) which still has its 4bulb t5 fixture so I placed the 10g down inside the tank for the purpose of using it for lighting. I placed a basket in the 10g that just so happens to fit perfectly added the heater and water matched salinity etc.

Well By the time I went to pull the nem out of my display tank one half of the nem had deflated tentacles but the other half looked mostly normal (only slightly less full). As I began removing the nem from the rock work, which it was still stuck to fairly well I noticed something weird as heck......My finger went right through the center bottom of the nem and out the mouth :O.

At this point I have realized one of two possibilities, either one the nem was starting to look bad because it has begun the splitting process which I know can and will make magnificas look pretty dismal for quite a few days, or it is deteriorating (but there is no bad smell so I feel its splitting not deteriorating). Either way it is still one of the weirdest things I have experienced with nems, especially magnificas which I have no kept successfully for over a year.

I decided to move it into the treatment tank regardless because even if it is splitting I would rather ensure that it is healthy and has a easy infection free split, and if it is sick than I would like to remove the bacterial infection and allow it to heal its hole in the middle.

As of now it is not expelling any zooxanthelle or "guts". I did take a number of pictures but I will load them up tomorrow morning for you to see Minh. This should be a fun one to follow.

Tyler

Current Tank Info: Tanks: 203g custom, Mixed Reef, SRO-3000, Vortech-Powered (x2 MP40) 75g sump with 15g Fuge section
Tmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2013, 05:00 AM   #75
OrionN
Moved on

Tyler,

So sorry about your clown babies.
However I am looking forward to see the picture of your new anemones. I think for sure your anemone is splitting. My experiences was the same. Several times when my Magnifica split, it start to look bad, then the mouth dilated an a hole form on the foot, I can see the rock through the dilated mouth. I got pictures posted here on RC years ago but one of the server upgrade chewed it up. I am too lazy to look for it from my massive old photocolection.

Hope everything is well and you will end up with two beautiful Magnifica.