Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2008, 05:58 PM   #226
elvictre
Registered Member

Pics with no lights on at all

It does look better in person and I did some major aquascaping up the back wall sicne these pics.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 06:34 PM   #227
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Yeowzers that's a monster tank! You can see where the sunlight is coming in though, those areas are so much more brighter (and whiter) than the rest.

Unread 09/06/2008, 06:52 PM   #228
hobogato
Registered Member

very nicely done!!

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 07:56 PM   #229
luisgo
Registered Member

I just finished reading this thread for the second time and what can I say. Wowowowowowow...... Excellent information.

I have some comments and questions. Looking at the Sun Dome and the Solatube products I see that the Solatube looks of better quality. In the Solatube site mention of copies that are not as efficient in transferring the light. Any comments as to the best product.

The other thing is that every picture of the Solatube product in the Internet presents tubes with bends. I read here that bends will decrease the light, which is logic. Maybe the bends are to help diffuse the light when the sun is exactly on top of the dome. Anybody knows?

I am convinced to change my lights. I live in Puerto Rico and we have sun all year long. The other thing is that the cost per kilowatt is 27¢! My electric bill is killing me.

I have a 125 gallon reef with two 175 watts metal halides and two VHO 160 watts, one actinic and one actinic white. I want to replace the two MH with two 10” Solatubes and cotinue to use the VHO’s. My roof is 10’ high which is a short distance. Any opinions as to that amount of light?

This is my tank

luisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 08:29 PM   #230
hobogato
Registered Member

very nice! you are correct that bends will decrease the amount of light, but i was told as long as the bend is less than 15 degrees it is a small decrease in light. of course, everyone's product is the best if you listen to them.....

i chose sun dome because of the price (what can i say, i am cheap) and because of the polycarbonate dome - supposedly more shatter-proof and resists yellowing over time better than acrylic. 10' is fairly long for 10" tubes from what i understand, you may want to consider 14".

Unread 09/07/2008, 01:15 AM   #231
mxett
Registered Member

I'm looking at the Aussie made solatubes.

The focusing dome on the top (same picture as luisgo) promotes more of the light from early and late in the day, and rejects the most intense midday light.

This way the light is more uniform over the day and there is not such a discrepency between winter and summer. They are said to be over twice as effective as the opposition.

Check out the soladome spec on their website. They look really good.

mxett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 05:55 AM   #232
digitalis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato
very nice! you are correct that bends will decrease the amount of light, but i was told as long as the bend is less than 15 degrees it is a small decrease in light. of course, everyone's product is the best if you listen to them.....

i chose sun dome because of the price (what can i say, i am cheap) and because of the polycarbonate dome - supposedly more shatter-proof and resists yellowing over time better than acrylic. 10' is fairly long for 10" tubes from what i understand, you may want to consider 14".
From the president of a Solatube dealer in Phoenix, AZ,:
"Solautubes are capable of transfering the light down very long runs because of their Infinity Tubing. With the 10" for example; the tubing can run over 20 feet with virtually no light loss!"

Shutting it down... :( 125G Reef with 3 150W HQI ...but the house is sooo quiet!!

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon, 3 150W 10,000K HQI with supplemental Actinic
digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 06:17 AM   #233
hobogato
Registered Member

digitalis - maybe i should clarify.....

i am not here to represent ANY brand of tubular lighting.

i did lots of research and called lots of dealers. each product seems to have advantages and disadvantages. because i was looking at 14" tubes, most of my info is about that size. i was told they could be as long as 30' without significant loss of light by some while others (including the ones i got) said 16' was pushing it. i was also told (and read) that a 10" tube had shorter distance capabilities.

by all means, do your own research and believe whomever you wish.... just keep in mind that the bottom line for some people it to make a sale

Unread 09/07/2008, 06:25 AM   #234
digitalis
Registered Member

True. I had considered this a LONG time ago, and emailed the crew at WWM and they had no idea, and said if I ever tried it to let them know how it worked. I think it's a great idea and would love to try it, but I don't know how long I plan to live at this house, and don't want to install 2 or 3 in one corner and then move out. If I were sure that I would stay here, I'd install 3 myself!

Shutting it down... :( 125G Reef with 3 150W HQI ...but the house is sooo quiet!!

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon, 3 150W 10,000K HQI with supplemental Actinic
digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 06:45 AM   #235
elvictre
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeowzers that's a monster tank! You can see where the sunlight is coming in though, those areas are so much more brighter (and whiter) than the rest.
On a real sunny day you can but it blends nicely when the 250's come on. I couldn't put anymore then 2 tubes because of the roof pitch. I have one on each side of the peak and the tank center in right below the peak. I also don't get direct sunlight on them all day, only a few hours. I live in NY, but if I ever moved to a FL I would do 4 with actinic just like ace did.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 02:04 PM   #236
matona
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato

i did lots of research and called lots of dealers.
In contrast, I did virtually no research and just went to HD to pick up what they had... I think the 10" that I got were about $170 each.

It is very bright on my tank, and I like how it makes the light shimmer. I'd show pictures, but the tank needs a little cleaning first, and with two little boys that want to get in the tank when I open it up it's going to have to wait until they are sleeping. I'm very satisfied, and can hardly feel any heat coming off of them which was a huge help for me.

Hobogato - did you paint the outside of your tubes where they come into the house? Just curious, I think I'm going to build the canopy up to the celing anyways. (Eventually)

Matt

matona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 02:07 PM   #237
matona
Registered Member

...my only complaint at this point is that the light is yellowish which I hope to correct with filters of some type. This is by far the best option I've seen for lighting a tank in my opinion. Thanks again for sharing your info Hobogato so that I would feel confident in going this route for my tank! I had been thinking about it for quite a while, but when I saw this thread I went out and did it the next day.

matona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 02:21 PM   #238
hobogato
Registered Member

yep, i used rustoleum spray paint. looking forward to your pics....

Quote:
Originally posted by matona

Hobogato - did you paint the outside of your tubes where they come into the house? Just curious, I think I'm going to build the canopy up to the celing anyways. (Eventually)

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:31 PM   #239
hobogato
Registered Member

Ok, here is this week’s update….

First – a full tank shot with bright sun

Just the tank with a small cloud passing

Some tank sections

I have finally started to add clams back into the clam tank as well – it has been over six months since my total loss of all clams to perkinsus (these are in the clam tank btw – not in the main tank under the solar tubes)

So far I have two large T. squamosa – one is about 7” and the other is about 11”
Little one

Big one

Together

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:32 PM   #240
hobogato
Registered Member

Now for the comparison pics – not much change over last week, a few corals are really starting to add lots of new growth tips. Hopefully they are all acclimated to the changes now.

A. valida 8-7-08

ultimate frag best stag ever 8-7-08

supposed to be tyree lime in the sky 8-7-08

texreefer green stag 8-7-08

texreefer A. chesterfieldensis 8-7-08

texreefer blue tip stag 8-7-08

seaworld sa blue tip teal stag 8-7-08

pink jade 8-7-08

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:33 PM   #241
hobogato
Registered Member

Paletta A. lovely 8-7-08

ora blue tip stag 8-7-08

greenmako A. meridiana 8-7-08

cpreefguy A. florida 8-7-08

b&b shiny A. sp. 8-7-08

b&b A. efflorescens 8-7-08

atl tulip A. millepora 8-7-08

same from the back 8-7-08

akm yellow A. sp. 8-7-08

i also posted some random corals in my build thread (little red house)

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:57 PM   #242
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Looking good HG - thanks for the detailed picture updates!

Any luck finding a PAR meter perchance? I'm definitely interested in knowing more. I bet your numbers are huge. If true, I wonder what other solar tube applications could be possible. My tank is on a north facing wall with 20' ceiling. It doesn't seem like a good solar tube candidate but depending on how high your numbers are.....never say never.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2008, 05:02 PM   #243
hobogato
Registered Member

i have a friend who has a lux meter, so i should get some numbers soon.

i really want to get a par meter of my own as well.

Unread 09/08/2008, 08:37 AM   #244
justlopin
Registered Member

I am fixing to move to a new house and am interested in doing this to my 160 can you please post a link to the build thread so I can see how you did this? Thanks!

justlopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 11:01 AM   #245
jnarowe
Registered Member

Sweet thread Ace. Very nice before and aflter!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 11:15 AM   #246
Bigben7
Registered Member

Congrats on Thread OTM. As an ecologist, and a believer in all things green, I think that this type of forward thinking is a great thing for the hobby.

Current Tank Info: 29g Biocube, tunze 9002, Sunpod 150W. Mixed reef featuring SPS, LPS, zoas and rics.
Bigben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 11:42 AM   #247
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Nice pictures Ace. I'm really curious to how those colors were turn out in the long run. I'm REALLY tempted to poke a hole in my house when I get my "last tank ever" tank (whenever that may be) simply to trade of on electricity used to heat the tank vs light it.

Unread 09/08/2008, 03:51 PM   #248
hobogato
Registered Member

here is the small build thread on my local forum. it really is very simple to do, so there wasnt a need to document much...

Quote:
Originally posted by justlopin
I am fixing to move to a new house and am interested in doing this to my 160 can you please post a link to the build thread so I can see how you did this? Thanks!
thank jonathon, we were really pleased with it as well. hopefully the corals and fish will continue the trend too.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Sweet thread Ace. Very nice before and aflter!
i agree, i teach environmental systems, so i try to keep those ideas in my brain as well

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigben7
Congrats on Thread OTM. As an ecologist, and a believer in all things green, I think that this type of forward thinking is a great thing for the hobby.
me too it is a little nerve racking at first, but once you start cutting, it isnt too bad

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
Nice pictures Ace. I'm really curious to how those colors were turn out in the long run. I'm REALLY tempted to poke a hole in my house when I get my "last tank ever" tank (whenever that may be) simply to trade of on electricity used to heat the tank vs light it.

Unread 09/08/2008, 05:36 PM   #249
jnarowe
Registered Member

The first hole is always the hardest! Then I seem to get carried away. :shock:

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 05:43 PM   #250
liv
Registered Member

Absolutely stunning.. keep the pics coming!
thanks for sharing with all of us this amazing tank and setup.

Cheers!

liv is offline   Reply With Quote