Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Fish559
Registered Member

Radion side mount kit?

My tank sits flush against the wall of my office, so there is no room to mount lights from the back of the tank. Wall-hang is a no-go also.

I've run a Maxspect Razor for about 3 years with pretty good success. My house tank has a Radion XR15 which I really like. So I'm considering an XR30 with a side mount set-up (RMS Track). Basically, this set up:

Anyone ever tried that setup before?

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 12:08 AM   #2
bshow24
Registered Member

How big is the tank and what's in it?

I run my setup this way and I like it a lot. I even DIY'd a T5 retro fit onto it. It works well, you just have to make sure you get enough of the lights depending on what you have in the tank (for my 5 foot SPS tank, I have 2 XR30s and 2 XR15s)

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 08:11 AM   #3
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I run 2 XR30s over a 60 gallon cube that way (I'm a big believer in evening light spread by using more than the recommended number of fixtures for acropora). The two complaints I have about the setup are: 1) in an ideal world, I think the lights should be hung higher than the Ecotech mounting system provides; and 2) because of the bulky part of the Ecotech clamp which sits inside the tank, it's tough to make a screen top that completely covers the tank (ask my former flasher wrasse, now potato chip). Very slick system overall though.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Fish559
Registered Member

I forsee the same problem. I tried a RMS arm on the back of the tank and the clamp covered the mesh top, making it basically impossible to remove.

Oh well - rimless it is.

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote