Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2015, 09:40 PM   #26
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/qAk4HsvzzGM

here is a video of mine, already paired up. i tried taking pics but they looked like crap

ItsTheNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 09:42 PM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

How big are they?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 09:46 PM   #28
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
How big are they?
female is about 2" & male is like 1.5"

Unread 05/04/2015, 09:50 PM   #29
daveM100
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
SoCal is definitely getting flooded with Solomon Clowns.

Hey Corals are those at Vivid?

daveM100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 09:54 PM   #30
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It's like my pair 3. And they also seem to have paired up.
The males of pairs 1 & 4 still have to sleep outside the pot.
Pair 2 seem to have paired up too but that is less of a surprise because the female is actually a sexually mature female. Those will accept a new male quickly.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/04/2015, 10:04 PM   #31
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveM100 View Post
Hey Corals are those at Vivid?
Different stores. Sent you PM.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 10:04 PM   #32
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheNano View Post
https://youtu.be/qAk4HsvzzGM

here is a video of mine, already paired up. i tried taking pics but they looked like crap
Nice pair! I subbed to your youtube channel for future updates.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 05/04/2015 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 05/04/2015, 10:11 PM   #33
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
It's like my pair 3. And they also seem to have paired up.
The males of pairs 1 & 4 still have to sleep outside the pot.
Pair 2 seem to have paired up too but that is less of a surprise because the female is actually a sexually mature female. Those will accept a new male quickly.
yeah i have been waiting for these type of clowns for over a year i might grab another pair myself. mine were guaranteed wild caught paired & even when they were in seperate bags they tried to comfort each other & stayed close lol

Unread 05/04/2015, 10:12 PM   #34
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice pair!
haha thanks. what kind of nem do you plane to get for yours?

Unread 05/04/2015, 10:14 PM   #35
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
haha thanks. what kind of nem do you plane to get for yours?
I am leaning towards a H. Crispa.

Unread 05/04/2015, 10:21 PM   #36
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
I am leaning towards a H. Crispa.
arent those hard to kkeep?

Unread 05/04/2015, 10:35 PM   #37
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
arent those hard to kkeep?
I have had one. It's pictured in one of the photos I posted above. It was fairly hardy and an aggressive eater of mysis shrimp.

Unread 05/04/2015, 10:40 PM   #38
daveM100
What?

They say they are hard but mine went from the store to the DT and has been in the same spot forever, never had a problem with him. For some reason I have good luck with nems, now fish are another thing, they just don't like me

daveM100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 11:01 PM   #39
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah i have been waiting for these type of clowns for over a year i might grab another pair myself. mine were guaranteed wild caught paired & even when they were in seperate bags they tried to comfort each other & stayed close lol
At Baja Reef they had those kind of mated pairs too but they were much more expensive and not precisely the color forms I wanted, at least not both. I prefer to build my own pairs.

I'm gonna try another crispa as soon as my new tank is set up and I have again some free capacity. By my experience they are hardy if you can get one that isn't bleached completely.

Unread 05/04/2015, 11:40 PM   #40
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
At Baja Reef they had those kind of mated pairs too but they were much more expensive and not precisely the color forms I wanted, at least not both. I prefer to build my own pairs.

I'm gonna try another crispa as soon as my new tank is set up and I have again some free capacity. By my experience they are hardy if you can get one that isn't bleached completely.
yeah i love the colors on mine they are nice orange & the black is nicely shaded in too.

are h crispas the long tentacle anemones? i want to get a ritter for them any input?

Unread 05/04/2015, 11:47 PM   #41
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah i love the colors on mine they are nice orange & the black is nicely shaded in too.

are h crispas the long tentacle anemones? i want to get a ritter for them any input?
Crispa is Sebae. Ritteri is a natural host but I am 99% positive your clowns will lose their black in a Ritteri. It's why I am going to stay away from a Ritteri. Wild true percs are more likely to lose their black than captive bred clowns.

Unread 05/04/2015, 11:53 PM   #42
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
Crispa is Sebae. Ritteri is a natural host but I am 99% positive your clowns will lose their black in a Ritteri. It's why I am going to stay away from a Ritteri. Wild true percs are more likely to lose their black than captive bred clowns.
do you know of good place that gets healthy sebaes id give one a try for the clowns. i would hate to see them loose the black, thats really what makes them unique. would they loose the color in a bta?

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:00 AM   #43
ThRoewer
Registered Member

According to Fautin & Allen H. crispa is also a natural host for A. percula. Though I've never seen underwater pictures of a crispa with percula in it.
It might be because crispa has one of the largest numbers of clownfish taking it as host and all the clarki & Co will easily chase the smaller percula away.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:04 AM   #44
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
do you know of good place that gets healthy sebaes id give one a try for the clowns. i would hate to see them loose the black, thats really what makes them unique. would they loose the color in a bta?
Most stores around us carry Crispas, they are very common. If you go on a buying quest try to avoid bleached ones. If you see one that looks tan in color and is in overall good shape then it might work for you.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:05 AM   #45
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
According to Fautin & Allen H. crispa is also a natural host for A. percula. Though I've never seen underwater pictures of a crispa with percula in it.
Yes, I have heard that many times but just like you I have never seen actual evidence to support that assertion.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:10 AM   #46
ItsTheNano
Registered Member

Quote:
Most stores around us carry Crispas, they are very common. If you go on a buying quest try to avoid bleached ones. If you see one that looks tan in color and is in overall good shape then it might work for you.
besides the sebae which other nem wpuld you recommend but that wont cause them to loose the black

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:12 AM   #47
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
You gotta give me a list of the stores that have the good stuff down south so I can check them out the next time I get there.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:13 AM   #48
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
besides the sebae which other nem wpuld you recommend but that wont cause them to loose the black
Gigantea, Haddoni, Malu, possibly long tentacle. The ones that cause the most color loss are Magnifica (Ritteri) and bubble tips.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:14 AM   #49
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
You gotta give me a list of the stores that have the good stuff down south so I can check them out the next time I get there.
Sure, I will pm you a list of stores tomorrow.

Unread 05/05/2015, 12:15 AM   #50
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
S. gigantea is the natural host that actually increases the black. S. haddoni and mertensii also cause melanism in several clownfish and percula may readily accept them.

Tags
solomon percula